CO2 Tank on the Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three of them are filled with Big Red, Sprite, and RC Cola syrup and still have the plastic caps on the posts from the distributer. Part of me wants to try one
Yeah, my brain tries to pull that sort of stuff on me too 😂 I took a handful of yeast cake to give it a sniff the other day. It didn't smell half bad and immediately my brain just whispers..."go on, have a taste"

Hey, me too, I'm in Florence.
@MajorJC - If you do homebrew competitions, Clinton does one each August call Red Brick Brew as part of the Red Brick Roads festival. If interested, let me know and I'll send you the sign-up info when they announce it. In addition to the competition, entrants serve their beers during the festival. Lots of fun.

Three of them are filled with Big Red, Sprite, and RC Cola syrup and still have the plastic caps on the posts from the distributer. Part of me wants to try one - the other part of me doesn't want to die from old soda syrup.
What? You're not going to dilute some with water and throw some wine yeast in there? After that long the preservatives might actually let it ferment....

I got one with just a touch of pepsi syrup a few year back, Keg was marked Pepsi Italia, and it smelled great. It is mostly sugar
after all...

If interested, let me know and I'll send you the sign-up info when they announce it.
Depending on how my brews turn out this spring and summer I actually may be interested in participating. Please let me know when they announce this years competition. I spent 5 years on the Clinton Fire Department at the beginning of my FD career. I sat on the front porch of station 6 during more than one red brick festival.
Thanks
:mug:

Depending on how my brews turn out this spring and summer I actually may be interested in participating. Please let me know when they announce this years competition. I spent 5 years on the Clinton Fire Department at the beginning of my FD career. I sat on the front porch of station 6 during more than one red brick festival.
Thanks
:mug:
Is station #6 the one that used to sit at the intersection of capitol and main, where the old water tower was, next to MCs band hall?

Last edited:
Is station #6 the one that used to sit at the intersection of capitol and main, where the old water tower was, next to MCs band hall?
Oh Shoot,
My old man brain got my memories mixed up. The station 6 I was thinking of was in Vicksburg during the second chapter of my FD career. When I was on the Clinton FD, I was at the station next to MC's band hall, and then at station 2 next to the high school.
I never went to the Brick street festival in Clinton. It was Vicksburg where those memories came from.

When I was on the Clinton FD, I was at the station next to MC's band hall.
Small world. I live directly across the street from where the station next to MCs band hall used to be. I hated when they tore it down. We enjoyed having y'all as neighbors across the street. It's just a plain ole parking lot now.

hey @agentbud , let me and everyone else know how much a swap is on that tank, i need a heads up. There's probably other people that would be curious also... :mug:

i got the other one sitting here....

In my area I am pretty limited on CO2 sources. It's pretty much Airgas or drive a long way. They swapped that 20 pounder I got from @FloppyKnockers for $41. They did not care (or did not even look) that it was last stamped in 1998. Considering I was paying $25 for a 5 lb swap, this seems like a great deal. I picked up a CGA320 to CGA320 transfer hose from Amazon (NTSUMI CO2 Tank Filling Station Charging Adapter with 60Inch Hose Fit for Filling Soda Machine CGA320 to CGA320 Threaded CO2 Tank) for $32 so now I can refill my 5 lb tanks from the 20 lb and that equates to $10.25 per fill or a savings of almost $15 each time I refill a 5 lb vs swapping it. The added benefit is this allows me to keep using the 5 lb tanks which are easier to move and less loss if I spring a leak!

Back