CO2 Tank on the Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
So, I want to get an extra 10 lb CO2 tank just to keep in the brew shed for non-serving purposes (ie purging, pressurizing, etc). Retail these things are going to for 100 and up so was curious to hear from any of you who have found good deals on used CO2 tanks. It doesn't have to be pretty, nor does it need to be aluminum - the closest place to get CO2 (airgas) only does exchanges so I'll just be turning it in to them for a full one. They wanted $150 for a filled tank but exchanges are only $29 so they are getting $120+ for the tank and I can't see paying that. I have checked local welding supply stores, I am checking FB marketplace and craigs list every day, I called the local soda and beer distributors. So far, no luck. So, I am turning to all you HBT miracle workers - what are some places I am not thinking of where have y'all had luck finding cheap/used CO2 tanks?

Have you tried Homebrew Clubs, etc.?

A 20# may run about the same, and a tank swap at the supplier may only cost a few $ more than a 10#. $29 sounds a tad high for a 10# swap, I get 20# swapped for that price.

Used tanks are pretty easy to find. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a 5lb one and we just a little patience can be found not too far away. There are always homebrewers exiting the hobby and it's a fairly common item. Twenty pound tanks too pop up pretty reasonably, usually about $60-$100. A little more patience sometimes, but these tend to appear in groups of tanks. Ten pound tanks are kind of rare in my experience. I don't think my Airgas even exchanges them. I wouldn't recommend a 10 really, they are kind of fat. A twenty is maybe fatter and taller but it holds twice as much but I doubt you'd pay 2x as much to fill it. I did get my 20 off of Craigslist but it's on the FB Marketplace that I often see tanks. I just got 2 regulators (one missing a high pressure gauge), a 5 lb tank with holder, a ball lock keg, a sixtel, an 8 gallon brewpot, bottling tree, single draft tower with tap and sankey coupler, a case of flip top liter bottles, a bottling bucket, and some odds and ends on the Marketplace for $80 from an exiting brewer/father to young children.

Search on Co2 tank; or homebrew; or keg. If you are searching on say homebrew, if it looks like it's a lot (as in group) of equipment, be sure to read through the ad. Also, click on the seller's name and see what else they have as you might miss seeing the other items they have for sale.

Also check out hydroponics grow shops nearby. They do tank sell/swaps and it’s usually decent price.

Paintball shops nearby also a good source to get tanks.

Most co2 I see is food grade and you are swapping tanks anyway

Good luck. Go for the 20lb as it will last you awhile and great for purging, transfers, and force carbing. Leave the smaller 5lb tanks for serving in kegger

Have you tried Homebrew Clubs, etc.?

A 20# may run about the same, and a tank swap at the supplier may only cost a few $ more than a 10#. $29 sounds a tad high for a 10# swap, I get 20# swapped for that price.
Unfortunately there is not alot of competition in this area. only 2 places in driving distance. 5# swap goes for $25, 10# for $29 and 20# for $42

Also check out hydroponics grow shops nearby. They do tank sell/swaps and it’s usually decent price.

Paintball shops nearby also a good source to get tanks.

Most co2 I see is food grade and you are swapping tanks anyway

Good luck. Go for the 20lb as it will last you awhile and great for purging, transfers, and force carbing. Leave the smaller 5lb tanks for serving in kegger
No hydroponics or paintball shops anywhere nearby. There is a group that runs a paintball camp but I had checked with them a while back and they do not handle CO2

Used tanks are pretty easy to find. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a 5lb one and we just a little patience can be found not too far away. There are always homebrewers exiting the hobby and it's a fairly common item. Twenty pound tanks too pop up pretty reasonably, usually about $60-$100. A little more patience sometimes, but these tend to appear in groups of tanks. Ten pound tanks are kind of rare in my experience. I don't think my Airgas even exchanges them. I wouldn't recommend a 10 really, they are kind of fat. A twenty is maybe fatter and taller but it holds twice as much but I doubt you'd pay 2x as much to fill it. I did get my 20 off of Craigslist but it's on the FB Marketplace that I often see tanks. I just got 2 regulators (one missing a high pressure gauge), a 5 lb tank with holder, a ball lock keg, a sixtel, an 8 gallon brewpot, bottling tree, single draft tower with tap and sankey coupler, a case of flip top liter bottles, a bottling bucket, and some odds and ends on the Marketplace for $80 from an exiting brewer/father to young children.

Search on Co2 tank; or homebrew; or keg. If you are searching on say homebrew, if it looks like it's a lot (as in group) of equipment, be sure to read through the ad. Also, click on the seller's name and see what else they have as you might miss seeing the other items they have for sale.
yep, checking FB and CL everyday. Not alot in my area tho. Luckily this is not urgent so will be patient.

You might not have the luxury of choosing, but also be aware of the date. Not everyone has this problem but most places around me want to charge a decent fee for a tank that's out of date. It might negate your savings if you're picking up an old one. Hopefully if you're swapping it won't be too much but it seems like it depends heavily on location. Just be cognizant of the delta you're actually working with and if the effort to wait and search for one to appear is worth the savings.

Also, if you keep searching CL then play around with different keywords on there. Their search can be a little wonky in my experience. Food grade gas can come from multiple sources so don't limit your search parameters to homebrew/brew specific words. Like others have mentioned, the tanks are out there. If you wait a little and keep looking then one will likely pop up.

yep, checking FB and CL everyday. Not alot in my area tho. Luckily this is not urgent so will be patient.
I see I just checked, not much. You are sort of in the middle of the state, and the pop density is fairly low. Not many large metro areas within driving distance either.

After I said that about the 10# being kind of rare I saw 3 maybe 4 on FB for sale last night! Still see mostly 5's and 20's though.

You are sort of in the middle of the state, and the pop density is fairly low. Not many large metro areas within driving distance either.
Yeah, I assume something would pop up eventually but that's exactly why I was thinking out loud on the cost/benefit there. Even if one pops up it doesn't mean the person will be reasonable. Spend too much and then get hit with an out of date charge and you might as well just bite the bullet for a filled tank at the shop. If you're not in a hurry then I guess sit on it for a while and see what turns up. You might still end up right back in the same situation, though... :confused:

Yeah, I assume something would pop up eventually but that's exactly why I was thinking out loud on the cost/benefit there. Even if one pops up it doesn't mean the person will be reasonable. Spend too much and then get hit with an out of date charge and you might as well just bite the bullet for a filled tank at the shop. If you're not in a hurry then I guess sit on it for a while and see what turns up. You might still end up right back in the same situation, though... :confused:
Good point about the date and potentially needing to recertify it. My Airgas never checks the date so I generally forget to mention that. It would be a good idea for the @agentbud to check on the cost of that if they haven't already.

One other suggestion is to put a wanted post here at HBTalk. Somebody might have one and be passing through at some point. Which actually reminds me of another suggestion. If you are traveling by vehicle, doesn't hurt to check the area you traveling to and along the way. Might be able to arrange a pickup. I got three practically new metal strap ball lock kegs for $100 in October that way. I save postings that are really good deals that I know aren't too far off some of my travel routes.

If you are traveling by vehicle, doesn't hurt to check the area you traveling to and along the way
This this this ^^^

I'm always on Craiglist free section. Last time my wife and I went to Milwaukee we came back with three free lawnmowers (same type, I'm frankensteining them into one good lawnmower) and then picked up a vise in Kenosha on the way back. Vise guy thought I was crazy when he saw a Subaru Outback stuffed full of mowers, but it totally works 😂 Any mid-size city is probably going to have 1-2 tanks on CL and FB.

I get CO2 fire extinguishers and decant into side stream bottles and CO2 bottles
Don’t worry about it not being food grade gas as that’s just a justification to charge more for CO2

If you snag it, I'd pay the shipping for one of the tanks. :)

🤣 shipping would put you at about $200....... :mug: better to just buy into the swap program....

i mean it cost me $80 to ship 20#'s malt to someone.....and i think that tank is more then #20lb's...AND bigger....

Last edited:
@FloppyKnockers . I notice you are in Fort Worth. You might want to check this post if you are in need... If you snag it, I'd pay the shipping for one of the tanks. :)
co2 tank lot used syrup | eBay
Well, hell. I just offered $50 and he took it. If I can get one working keg out of that lot, it's worth it. Not sure when I'll pick it up, but I'll check the bottles to see if they're even worth filling/swapping.

What's your zip code so I can do a postage calculation?

Well, hell. I just offered $50 and he took it. If I can get one working keg out of that lot, it's worth it. Not sure when I'll pick it up, but I'll check the bottles to see if they're even worth filling/swapping.

What's your zip code so I can do a postage calculation?
What a deal! My zip is 39056. If the CO2 tanks are any good, let me know what shipping would be for one. Thanks!

central mississippi - jackson area
Hey, me too, I'm in Florence.

Years ago, I traded an old welding tank, argon if I remember correctly, at Airgas for a CO2 tank. The counter guy said he didn't care what kind of tank I traded in, as long as it was in good condition. I don't know if they will still do that, but if you find any cheap compressed gas tanks of other types you could ask.

Crap. Sorry @agentbud and @FloppyKnockers. I didn't realize agentbud was actually the one that started that other thread :oops: Guess I need to work on my reading skills!
Hey no prob. I had initially posted it in the Deals forum but then noticed @FloppyKnockers in this thread was from Ft Worth and mentioned here too. Glad it worked out. I never get deals like that around where I live.

What a deal! My zip is 39056. If the CO2 tanks are any good, let me know what shipping would be for one. Thanks!
By the looks of it, those tank are most likely outdated (5 years past last hydrotest date). Ask your supplier (Airgas?) if that's OK and if the exchange price is still the same. You don't want any surprises.

Rule #1: Always call first, so you know in advance what you're in for.

Rule #2: Definitely call around, to get the lay of the land.
There may be some welding shops around that swap tanks, or they may tell you where to go.

Fire protection outfits may fill (and also test) tanks. They don't swap, of course.

By the looks of it, those tank are most likely outdated (5 years past last hydrotest date). Ask your supplier (Airgas?) if that's OK and if the exchange price is still the same. You don't want any surprises.

Rule #1: Always call first, so you know in advance what you're in for.

Rule #2: Definitely call around, to get the lay of the land.
There may be some welding shops around that swap tanks, or they may tell you where to go.

Fire protection outfits may fill (and also test) tanks. They don't swap, of course.
Yep. I have calling airgas on my to-do list for today.

BTW - I had called the only other gas place driving distance from me (Nexair) a couple days ago to get updated prices and the guy told me the recert period was 5 yrs for aluminum tanks but was 10 yrs for steel. I had never heard that before. I thought it was 5 for all tanks. Is he wrong?

Last edited:
Yep. I have calling airgas on my to-do list for today.

BTW - I had called the only other gas place driving distance from me (Nexair) a couple days ago to get updated prices and the guy told me the recert period was 5 yrs for aluminum tanks but was 10 yrs for steel. I had never heard that before. I thought it was 5 for all tanks. Is he wrong?
That is my experience. I have nitro and CO2 tanks. Nitro is steel and CO2 is aluminum in most cases. I just swapped my 2015 nitro and didn't have to pay the recertification. Pretty sure the recert should be the same price in either case though.

@FloppyKnockers , when I zoom in on the picture of the tops of those tanks, I think I can see the certification dates on one of them. A little hard to make out but it looks like original date was 9 ^ 8? (Sept of 8?) and a recert date of 3 ^ 92 (Mar of 92). Hopefully between shipping cost and recert fee it will still be worth it...

Also, when you do pick them up, let me know what size tanks those are. Definitely bigger than 5# but I can't tell if they are 10 or 20

Attachments

• CO2Tank.jpg
    CO2Tank.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 0
@FloppyKnockers , when I zoom in on the picture of the tops of those tanks, I think I can see the certification dates on one of them. A little hard to make out but it looks like original date was 9 ^ 8? (Sept of 8?) and a recert date of 3 ^ 92 (Mar of 92). Hopefully between shipping cost and recert fee it will still be worth it...

Also, when you do pick them up, let me know what size tanks those are. Definitely bigger than 5# but I can't tell if they are 10 or 20
No doubt they're out of date. If I was a betting man, I'd say those are definitely 20 pounders. I went from 5# to 20# some years ago and it was probably one of the best upgrades I've ever done. I keep a 5# to the side when the 20# dies.

From the minimal research I've done, from my zip to yours, assuming 25 lbs, in a box, empty, it should cost somewhere around $25 for ground shipping and maybe about the same for recertification, plus whatever it is to fill/swap. I think that most AirGas stores don't charge for recert because they charge a bit more for swaps.

Yeah, I will definitely do around $25 for shipping. I talked to my local airgas store and he told me as long as the tank is in decent shape (ie no major pitting or rust and doesn't look like it sat in a farm field for years) they usually do not check the date or charge extra for recert. Let me know once you have your hands on them and we will work out payment for the shipping. Hopefully those kegs are all in decent shape for you - I sure would've snagged that deal if I lived closer.

I talked to my local airgas store and he told me as long as the tank is in decent shape (ie no major pitting or rust and doesn't look like it sat in a farm field for years) they usually do not check the date or charge extra for recert.
My emphasis ^
Those 2 tanks (judging from the picture in the eBay link) look like they could easily fit clause #2...

Although the tank is likely to be fine, I don't know if or how it would clean up.

My emphasis ^
Those 2 tanks (judging from the picture in the eBay link) look like they could easily fit clause #2...

Although the tank is likely to be fine, I don't know if or how it would clean up.
Maybe, but as long as @FloppyKnockers doesn't see anything "really" bad with them, it's prolly worth the shipping cost to give it a try.

Maybe, but as long as @FloppyKnockers doesn't see anything "really" bad with them, it's prolly worth the shipping cost to give it a try.
If you're anything like me, you're dying to know what's up. I just got back from picking them up and in spite of their age, they're in great condition. Here are a couple pics of the valve and the dates. . I've got a lot going on today, but will give more info when I can. Even though I think Airgas would take either tank, I think the maroon one is in the best condition.

Attachments

• 20230211_100010.jpg
    20230211_100010.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230211_102144.jpg
    20230211_102144.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
If you're anything like me, you're dying to know what's up. I just got back from picking them up and in spite of their age, they're in great condition. Here are a couple pics of the valve and the dates. . I've got a lot going on today, but will give more info when I can. Even though I think Airgas would take either tank, I think the maroon one is in the best condition.
That is awesome! How were the kegs? Hopefully all 7 are usable for you. When you do get time, just work up shipping on the tank (whichever one you feel is best) and PM me and I can PayPal you the money. I'll PM you my full address

That is awesome! How were the kegs? Hopefully all 7 are usable for you. When you do get time, just work up shipping on the tank (whichever one you feel is best) and PM me and I can PayPal you the money. I'll PM you my full address

I think the kegs are going to be just fine. Three of them are filled with Big Red, Sprite, and RC Cola syrup and still have the plastic caps on the posts from the distributer. Part of me wants to try one - the other part of me doesn't want to die from old soda syrup.

I took the least full one, emptied it, lubed the big o-ring and pressurized it. It's holding just fine. I anticipate the other ones will be fine as well. I do have to replace two of the lids because they are from pin lock kegs (no manual pressure release ring). Some cleaning, maybe an o-ring here and there. This was definitely one of those finds that don't come along every day.

Back