To Double Rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaMonkey

Reaction score
I plan on making 40-50 gallons of cider in one pressing, so I want to make sure I get it perfect. I have been thinking of things I did last year and mistakes that I may have made.

One thing that I think I did wrong was leaving my cider on the initial yeast crop too long (2-3 weeks). Then I would only rack one time to a clean carboy and let it sit till bottling.

What I am thinking of doing this year is racking at SG 1.005ish or roughly 1 week from initial fermentation. Then letting it settle for another week or 2 depending on the amount of yeast dropping and racking to another carboy. The idea is this minimizes the amount of time the cider sits on the yeast. I feel as though I have been picking up an unwanted flavor from the yeast. The cider isn't awful but I want to make it better and think this will help.

What are your thoughts?

Your plan sounds perfect to me. 50 gallons is a boatload of cider.

I too have had a yeasty taste if on the lees too long. I go to secondary at or below 1.010, there's usually a lot of lees then. Secondary for 2-3 weeks until there's about 1/4 inch of lees or FG is achieved, whichever comes first. Some get bottled at that point for immediate consumption, some go to tertiary for aging.

Maylar, Thank you for your reply.

I would still like to hear what others have to say.

I primary to completion of fermentation, transfer to secondary and leave it for 9-10 months. I don't notice a yeasty flavour but it may be there.

I am new to cider making and have a few questions I'm making my first batch of cider 3 6 gal carboys What's the pros and cons to racking and at what point do you rack? The cider I'm making I'm just using natural yeast in cider that has been cold pasteurized I didn't add much to the cider one was left plain one with a little maple syrup and the other with little maple syrup and brown sugar Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I have also been told to leave it for 6 months and don't do anything

I am new to cider making and have a few questions I'm making my first batch of cider 3 6 gal carboys What's the pros and cons to racking and at what point do you rack? The cider I'm making I'm just using natural yeast in cider that has been cold pasteurized I didn't add much to the cider one was left plain one with a little maple syrup and the other with little maple syrup and brown sugar Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I have also been told to leave it for 6 months and don't do anything

I rack whenever there are lees 1/4" thick, or any lees at all at 60 days in the same carboy. I do the same with wine.

I rack the first time when the cider gets to under 1.010, as fermentation slows. Then, like I said, every 60 days if there are lees, or whenever there are lees 1/4" thick. Some ciders drop a ton of lees over months, while others drop just a little after the first one. So it really does depend on that.

Back