Some controversial questions????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A short time back Andrew Lea (Author of Craft Cider Making) made an observation in response to a comment from a past member of his forum who was getting back into making cider,

"Yes there are still a very few of us from the old days here. But the daily traffic is not what it once was. I think Facebook and its like have supplanted these more measured discussion groups".

This might be rattling the cage a bit (or at least encouraging some discussion), but it occurred to me that in the five years or so that I have been involved with HBT, the same might be happening here, so the question... is interest in craft cider making (and cider in general) starting to wane?

HBT traffic has been a bit quiet lately, and because today is an "inside day" for me (i.e. rain and thunderstorms), I decided to scratch through the forum to see if the same is happening here. A quick look at the cider-season over the past years (let's call it September and October) does suggest that new post volume has seen a bit of a fall off, especially since the world was turned upside down with Covid.

The number of new posts in the "cider season" has seen a steady fall of about 50% from over 110 five years ago to 60 or so this year. Are there fewer people making their own proper cider now? Is it easier to just go and buy some?

What do people think. Has the proliferation of ciders hitting the market, especially from global brewers who seem to be buying up old cider brands, made it too easy for the general public to access "cider". Is alcopop cider (AJC, water, yeast, filtration, sweetener, C02 under pressure, stick it in a bottle and off you go) the accepted product now? Are the true craft cider makers (us) becoming a diminishing breed?

All comments and views are welcome, especially from those involved in making cider as a hobby or trying to make a living from producing cider, selling supplies and equipment or simply involved in competitions and judging... Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war in support of proper cider.

Cheers!

Cider is still live and well. Just look at the many commercial available option on the shelf. The home brewing(and cider making) community is smaller these days. My homebrew store that I supported and even worked at slowly die over the years. Especially after covid. I was one of 5 associates that worked the floor on Saturday, and once covid hit I was relegated to an on call status.

My homebrew club has become smaller and smaller over the years too.

I'll admit I was a more avid member of HBT when I started brewing and am just now getting back into the forums. I am a member of some of the homebrewing FB groups. They see a lot of activity, but I don't think the content is as good. It's easier, that's for sure.

We have a few local cider producers and wineries around (Kansas City, USA) that are giving it a try, but they're not producing anything like the delicious ciders we experienced in Ireland this summer. They're always a pale gold, a little too sweet and lacking in body.

I thought maybe I'd get closer by trying some of the European ciders available here. Magners, Stella Cidre and Samuel Smith's. But, these aren't exactly craft ciders as evidenced by the ingredients listed (sugar, concentrate, malic acid, etc.) and big corporations behind them.

Just today I was searching for something new along those lines and came across Aspall Cyder. It's been made for 300 years by the same family at a quaint manor house in the Suffolk countryside. Owned by Molson Coors since 2018 :D

With the explosion of local wineries and breweries we're experiencing in the US, it feels like there could be a true craft cider movement develop too. But I think here we just don't know what cider can be.

I am a member of some of the homebrewing FB groups. They see a lot of activity, but I don't think the content is as good.
I’ve tried out a couple FB groups and don’t care for the format or the vibe. It’s hard to navigate and search the topics. And there seems to be a lot of bad information floating around.

I frequent a couple other Internet forums. One is extremely active and the other is almost dead.

Great topic, thanks @Chalkyt

I frequent a cider works in NE Minneapolis, MN USA on occasion. It always seems to be pretty busy. When the owner found out I make my own he was very surprised. He said he believes the homebrew industry isnt what it had been in the past. No real data to suggest thats the case just an observation.

This forum has certainly slowed some. (Not just for cider but Mead as well) I am in a couple of FB groups (I have left many that had members who provided questionable at best replies and less than friendly.) I find most (not all) posts start with "this is my 1st or 2nd brew."

I did a quick google search and unfortunately had little success finding any statistics as it relates to the home cider maker. Market share for the "craft" cider industry is < 2% of all alcohol consumption in the US. From 2010 to 2020 had hit its peak at about 2015. With the last few years showing a slight decline. Sales indicate women and younger consumers are the primary purchaser with the uptick in hard seltsers impacting cider sales.

reference
Cider Production in the US - Market Size, Industry Analysis, Trends and Forecasts (2023-2028)| IBISWorld

Great topic, thanks @Chalkyt

I frequent a cider works in NE Minneapolis, MN USA on occasion. It always seems to be pretty busy. When the owner found out I make my own he was very surprised. He said he believes the homebrew industry isnt what it had been in the past. No real data to suggest thats the case just an observation.
I can't remember the fist cider I tried, but it was either Crispin or Woodchuck. I liked Crispin (blue label) a lot but sadly they disappeared a few years back. I see that they are being reborn in Minneapolis area and I wonder if this is through the cidery you're referring to?

I hope they take off and become available here again. I'd sure like to try it and see what I think now.

Back