Tim's Keezer Build + Tutorial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syvmn

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I thought I would upload a bunch of photos and give you a step by step process of how I built my 5 tap keezer. I tried to keep everything as low-cost/high-quality as possible. I am no carpenter so fair warning, not everything worked out perfectly. I think just about anyone could build something similar with minimal tools or experience.

I am halfway through the build right now so stay tuned for part 2.

I start off here with my ultra cheap $30 craigslist chest freezer. I had to keep a close eye out for about a week to find something cheap and newish in decent condition.
byZeo3d.jpg

Start by giving the freezer a good soap and water cleaning. I used one of those green/yellow scrubby pads to remove all of the easy drips and whatnot. Secondly give it a quick scrub with 200ish grit sandpaper to remove anything more + give the spraypaint something to stick to.
w9xHu10.jpg

I used Rustoleum Hammered Black paint. It gives a nice black finish with a bit of texture to hide any inperfections (or inexperience). Do quick easy coats. I probably did about 5-6 coats per side, working my way around.
fPm8OdU.jpg

fNrVEAd.jpg.jpg

Take note of the thermostate on the freezer. You probably want to just set it to the coldest setting, but make sure you know what that is before painting over it.
bcMMn0w.jpg

Continue one coat at a time on each side. Take your time. I used 3 cans.
TcrKJya.jpg

v385rZK.jpg

LmAcptQ.jpg

3ekGyoq.jpg

Here is the freezer after all 5-6 coats. I think it looks pretty nice.
utbVi8K.jpg

Drink beer. This is "Kassie's Irish Red"
KiIpMuJ.jpg

Make a plan for the inner and outer collar. My design uses 1x8's for the inner collar that sits on top of the freezer, and 1x10's that go over the sides. Think about how all the boards will fit together and make sure that the dimensions are right for your freezer. My freezers outside dimensions are 42"x21.75". Remember that the 1x8 boards for the inner collar need to be 42" and 20.25" because the thickness (3/4") of the 42" boards are added to the 20.25" boards (20.25" + 1.5" = 21.75"). Do math and stuff, check your math, ask someone around to double check your double checking and get it right the first time. The boards I used are the basic pine boards that Menards sells. If you want to use fancy oak or whatever boards go for it. Just know that I spend about $35 in lumber. I did spring for the "Quality" boards for the outside front and side 1x10's
ugruBlv.jpg

I used clamps and a strait edge to make my cuts
4I5C0Ff.jpg

zKccbhJ.jpg

I also used an old piece of MDF for a backing board while making my cuts. I set the saw depth to just slightly more than the board thickness.
MO9imzN.jpg

S6sVg6u.jpg

After cutting all of the 1x8's I did a simple screw job :)p) to get them together
Vf6QelX.jpg

gA9jAJC.jpg

Bees kept trying to drink my beer (Don't drink too much... power tools)
R6mJbeN.jpg

My solution
LYLjYow.jpg

Beautiful day to be Keezering
YUIToMD.jpg

I then did a test fit of the inner collar just to make sure I didn't screw anything up.
jFSUqUq.jpg

I then did reconnaissance on the freezer hinges
bU2xRiU.jpg

And removed them
hc2i10y.jpg

That wasn't totally necessary yet but oh well. I then clamped together my 1x10 outer boards with wood glue to get good seals around the edges.
CpSY74X

XmdfV2Q.jpg

You want to leave just a TINY bit of edge showing on the (in my case) front facing boards. This is just so when I sand things down, I can get a nice clean line between the boards.
5VNViot.jpg

Test fit of inner+outer collar
O2yboRE.jpg

Set the drill depth to be about one and a half board thick.
ppEweJn.jpg

Screw everything together. Think about where the taps are going to be. Make sure not to screw near these locations.
Ypsb44X.jpg

pxK3ZEZ.jpg

This is my basic layout for the taps. I plan on having a towel rack on the right side after all is said and done. My thought process is that the hump in my freezer is on the right side, so I should have a bit more leeway on the left side for the shanks/hoses
5PFxJiW.jpg

I then added cheap 1x3 boards to the bottom of the 1x8 inner collar
ChUTzZk.jpg

On the bottom of the 1x3's I put in sealing strips. I don't know what these are technically called but look in the door area of your store.
rD9W1SC.jpg

pZiMoip.jpg

I then cut and put in 1" thick Styrofoam insulation. I'm not sure if there are better option but it is cheap and seems to have a decent insulation rating. Here is another test fit to make sure everything is going as planned.
PcwDZ5m.jpg

1o8te8U.jpg

Drink beer (not too much) while constructing. Here is my "100 Year IPA"
22qeobK.jpg

I then measured out where my taps where going to go while being careful not to scuff of mark my front 1x10
koOY446.jpg

I used a 7/8" bit. Check your shanks. Mine are 7/8". My suggestion is to use a 15/16" bit if you can find it. Using a 7/8" is a pain. You physically have to screw each shank through the board because the fit is that tight.
q2DwPch.jpg

I also used a guide piece of wood. I drilled 3 holes in it and picked the straightest one. No drill press. This also helps minimize the risk of chipping the front wood.
qtKzc8R.jpg

lxhT4X0.jpg

Nice clean holes ;)

bOKIu1F.jpg

I started with 100 grit. Sand sand sand sand sand.
OTB7xwE.jpg

Switched to 220 grit. Sand sand sand sand sand. It started getting late.
j6PeKL4.jpg

After sanding I wiped everything down with a wet clean cloth to remove the dust. Then I used a dry cloth to get any wetness off the boards. Let things sit for 30 minutes or so to dry things a bit. Then I used pre-stain since I am using Pine. Pine will absorb LOTS of stain and will do so very unevenly. Pre-Stain is a MUST for this type of wood.
j0TPU8b.jpg

After letting the pre-stain sit for about 10 minutes I wiped any excess off. Then I generously applied my stain. I used Sedona Red by Minwax. You use whatever you think will look great in your situation.
hYyQ3tI.jpg

After letting the stain sit for a few minutes I wiped off any excess that was left. Make sure you wipe off anything that is still wet after 10-15 minutes. If you don't, thing will get blotchy and/or tacky.
4pn8zSj.jpg

That's it for today. All in all it was about 8 hours worth of dinking around. I will be putting on 2-3 coats of polyurethane tomorrow and hopefully assembling all of the hardware.

Any Questions/Comments are very welcomed.

Great job man. Thanks for all the pics. Exactly what I want to do.

Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Update #2

Just about finished everything up today. I started by assembling my 5 tap lines. I used 3/16" Bev Seal Ultra. It is a pain to work with because of how stiff it is, but it should last a LONG time.

My process to attach the 3/16" line onto 1/4" fittings:
Start by heating up one end of the line. I flip it back and forth about 2-3" above my stove flame for a few seconds.
xywJBe3.jpg

Then find something to widen the end and jam it in there as far as you can while it is still hot. I used blue nitrile gloves to give me better grip.
1tEuAEw.jpg

You should end up with something like this
csbjEOM.jpg

Then its just a matter of carefully heating the line up again and jamming the barb into the widened end as far as you can. I also put clamps on right after while things were still a bit hot.
1BUlIQ0.jpg

1IKpxK4.jpg

All 5 took me about a half hour. I used 10' lines.
LBKz2fd.jpg

This morning I did my first coat of polyurathane
ulJUVoW.jpg

I waited about 4 hours between coats, did a very light sanding with 320 grit paper. This is after 3 coats.
2CW96TE.jpg

Then its just a matter of screwing in the shanks. Since I used a 7/8 bit, they just barely fit. I had to use the taps themselves for leverage getting them in.
vgYBB1i.jpg

All 5 installed
Gj6p9nW.jpg

I cut holes in the insulation to give me room to put the backing nuts on the shanks.
eKagiza.jpg

On top of the freezer it goes. The I attached all of the lines to the shanks. Its a complete mess. I will get to cleaning it up later. Inside I fit 5 kegs, a CO2 bottle, a Nitro Bottle and a 5 gallon culligan secondary that I am cold crashing (its in the back left burried).
EP1cQVK.jpg

All thats left to do it some touchup on the black freezer paint, installing the hinges to the collar and making some tap handles.

fZXmDSe.jpg

r5EoPAt.jpg

Good tutorial. I will be refering back to here quite a bit in the coming weeks, as I put together the plan for mine.

Definitely nicely done. Looks like a nice set-up, hope to reference soon on my own build.

Looks nice! One suggestion next time for fitting the 3/16" line on the 1/4" fittings is to just submerge the end of the beer line in boiling water for 15-20 seconds before you slide it over the fitting. Has worked pretty well for me in the past

Latest posts

Back