This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People who don't know that "ask" is NOT a verb, as in " my ask of you...".

I didn't know "ask" is not a verb

do you mean "ask" is not a NOUN? because your example is a little confusing. I have never ever heard that phrase in my entire life

Or is it like

"Could you do X, Y and Z before noon?"

"Before NOON? Dude, that's a pretty big ask."

Check the dictionary - ask is NOT a verb!
The latest "corporate" jargon frequently includes the phrase"My ask of you ..."
Completely improper use.

Ask is certainly a verb. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ask?s=t

You must work with morons. I have never heard of "My ask of you" They botched two possibilities. I base this on the little that you told me.

Maybe;

My request of you.... (Request - "a noun" or act of asking.)

May ask of you... (May - suggest the possibility)

ask
[ask, ahsk]
Spell Syllables
Synonyms Examples Word Origin
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
verb (used with object)
to put a question to; inquire of:
I asked him but he didn't answer.
to request information about:
to ask the way.
to try to get by using words; request:
to ask advice; to ask a favor.
to solicit from; request of:
Could I ask you a favor? Ask her for advice.
to demand; expect:
What price are they asking? A little silence is all I ask.
to set a price of:
to ask $20 for the hat.
to call for; need; require:
This experiment asks patience.

verb (used without object)
to make inquiry; inquire:
to ask about a person.
to request or petition (usually followed by for):
to ask for leniency; to ask for food.
Idioms
ask for it, to risk or invite trouble, danger, punishment, etc., by persisting in some action or manner:
He was asking for it by his abusive remarks.

1bxq2x.jpg

That does bother me. As does "please do the needful" that one came over from india

the BigHair asked me to set up her bluetooth audio in her car, so I did, but the voice help system said it would have to disconnect the bluetooth phone to do that, but I could run the setup again to reconnect the phone. after doing the audio I go to setup the phone

Voice Help: to setup the bluetooth phone, I'll need to disconnect the audio. You can reconnect the audio after we're done.

hmm.... OK, so I setup the phone and go back to setup the audio

Voice Help: to setup the bluetooth audio, I'll need to disconnect the phone. You can reconnect the phone after we're done

Me: oh, hell no, we are NOT playing that ****

anyone have a 201x Toyota with BT capability knows how to connect both at the same time? Don't have this problem with my 2012 Focus, it set up both at the same time first time, no problem

The Spousal Unit purchased roughly 8 pounds of mini-name-brand-candies for Halloween then promptly boarded a cruise ship with five of her six sisters for 12 days.

So far a grand total of 15 pieces have been treated.

Preferring to spend my daily carb allowance on homebrew - and for sure not wanting to see the SU inflated - I'm now wondering WTF I'm going to do with slightly less than 8 pounds of candy.

Blessedly self-employed, so no coworkers to candy-bomb. Kids have been out of the house for almost 15 years, and the neighbors are likely wondering the same thing I am.

I'm considering boiling the rest and seeing what some S04 can do with it.
For Science! 'cuz gawd knows it won't be drinkable :eek:

Cheers!

Reactions: Kee
The Spousal Unit purchased roughly 8 pounds of mini-name-brand-candies for Halloween then promptly boarded a cruise ship with five of her six sisters for 12 days.

Preferring to spend my daily carb allowance on homebrew - and for sure not wanting to see the SU inflated - I'm now wondering WTF I'm going to do with slightly less than 8 pounds of candy.

Blessedly self-employed, so no coworkers to candy-bomb. Kids have been out of the house for almost 15 years, and the neighbors are likely wondering the same thing I am.

Cheers!

I hate left over Halloween candy.

Cheers!

Get even. Throw it all in the freezer for your spousal unit to find. - LOL

A freezer full of frozen mini Snickers and Twix is what she needs when she gets back from vacation.

Get even. Throw it all in the freezer for your spousal unit to find. - LOL

A freezer full of frozen mini Snickers and Twix is what she needs when she gets back from vacation.

Yeah, that's a grenade right there.

She'd succumb to the sweet horror...and then blame me for having to go on a diet.

No thanks ;)

Cheers!

Wait for one last kiddie to come round and drop the whole sugar bomb on him

Actually, I've been telling the few kids (we're up to a solid dozen kids, total) that have come by to take as much as they want.
Li'l bastids still only grabbed a few each!
Finally, the next door neighbor's two boys came by, and the little one grabbed a bowl and poured it into his big brother's bag.

SCORE! :rockin:

Looking at the other bowl I'm guessing they have a good three pounds of candy.
Those kids are going to be flying 'til Christmas!

Cheers! (Not my problem ;))

Yeah, that's a grenade right there.

She'd succumb to the sweet horror...and then blame me for having to go on a diet.

No thanks ;)

Cheers!

You have tell me when she returns if she asks if ALL the candy is gone.

Don't tell her you gave it all away....

My wife would be looking to clean up the meager leftovers.

Cinnamon pine cones. They are OFFENSIVE!!! They stink so bad, that I can not only smell them clear on the other side of the store, but they make my eyes water & give me a headache. I'd like to catch whoever thought up these little abominations, smack them in the kneecaps with a 5 iron & soak them in cinnamon oil for a few days.
End rant, resume normal activity.
Regards, GF.

Cinnamon pine cones. They are OFFENSIVE!!! They stink so bad, that I can not only smell them clear on the other side of the store, but they make my eyes water & give me a headache. I'd like to catch whoever thought up these little abominations, smack them in the kneecaps with a 5 iron & soak them in cinnamon oil for a few days.
Regards, GF.

Do you need help with that? I can hold them down while you work on your swing.

Regards, GF.

I hear ya, bud. We've been having pallet upon pallet of the stinky things come through the warehouse I work at past month or so. During the worst of it my eyes were watering it was so thick. Glad to see the last of them go on the trucks and far away from me. :)

I hear ya, bud. We've been having pallet upon pallet of the stinky things come through the warehouse I work at past month or so. During the worst of it my eyes were watering it was so thick. Glad to see the last of them go on the trucks and far away from me. :)

Imagine the poor Chinese people who make these things feel?

fart_ad_large.png

My co-worker tells me that he likes sour beers so I decide to bring him a bottle of my flanders red. I tell him that it is 2.5 years old and other things about the beer, aged on cherries, etc. I ask him the next day how he liked the beer and he tells me he doesnt like it. So I want some constructive criticism about it and ask him why. He says that it wasn't carbonated and tasted old. He couldn't answer anything about specific flavors he tasted or anything at all. He just told me it tasted old because I told him it was 2.5 years old and he doesn't know anything about how the f a sour beer is made. It was also absolutely carbonated but since it's a 2.5 year old sour beer the head dissipated quickly.

I am all for constructive feedback on my beers but when I give you a free f-ing beer and you can't even explain why you dislike it then no more free beer for you.

Also, the beer is very tasty and I am by far my harshest critic.

How's that offensive, I've seen stuff like that all over this place, I guess stuff has changed here. I didn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back