Think I've ruined 75 litres of apple juice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I don't know if anyone can help but I recently pressed 75 litres of Apple juice and I sterilised everything, added camp den tables, tanin, chalk to get a PH of 3.8 but then I made a stupid mistake of adding potassium sorbate instead of pectalose. This was over a week ago now and having spoken to a home brew shop they've explained that the potassium sorbate is used to kill the yeast and therefore that's why it's not fermenting.

The question I have is does anyone know whether the potassium sorbate would have gone by now (1 week since added) and therefore if I add more yeast and nutrient now it might work or is it ruined?

Also, is there anything I can add to kill the potassium sorbate if it's still present?

I wait with fingers crossed!

Yea, I heard of people being able to do it as well. Use a large ass starter though; for instance start a new batch of 1 gallon of cider then after 3 days when the fermentation is roaring pour it in your other batches.

I would create a massive starter. It should work - you need enough yeast to do the job without yeast replication

More stupid questions I'm afraid! How do I make a large 1 gallon starter? Do I just make a separate batch of juice then add yeast and nutrient? Should I add extra sugar? How long do I leave it for before I add it to the rest? Sorry for the simple questions, I've checked online and I am struggling to find a straightforward guide.

Sorry for more obvious questions but how do I make a 1 gallon started? Don't just get more juice and then add yeast and nutrient? Do I leave it in a hot place for 3 days or so then add it? Should I add extra sugar in the starter? Anything I'm missing?

I did try to look for a guide online but it just confused me more!

All Sorbate does is coat the yeast cell and prevent cell reproduction from occurring. A simple fix is to add a fair number of yeast cells from a starter. Sorbate doesn't stop fermentation, it inhibits reproduction. And don't forget to keep a nose out for sulfur aromas. If it smells sulfury then add nutrients. Diammonium phosphate should work. And don't rush it either, a good 8 weeks of conditioning after fermentation has stopped will allow ample time for the yeast to reabsorb any off flavors, and if you're lucky allow a clean taste and aroma to develop. Time is your friend on this one.

Sorry to be an idiot but how do I make a massive starter?
I've looked on the Internet and it's just made me more confused.

Do I get 1 gallon of juice and add yeast and nutrient and keep it in a warm place for 3 days then mix with the current batch?

Should I add extra sugar?

Sorry to be an idiot but how do I make a massive starter?
I've looked on the Internet and it's just made me more confused.

Do I get 1 gallon of juice and add yeast and nutrient and keep it in a warm place for 3 days then mix with the current batch?

Should I add extra sugar?

If you want some one to respond, quote them.

You act like you are making a 1 gallon batch of cider. So go to the grocery store or orchard and buy 1/2 gallon or a gallon of cider/juice. Make sure it does not have preservatives, there are plenty of apple juices without preservatives at the grocery store you just have to look, acids added are OK.

Then re-hydrate the yeast per the directions, drop in the juice and then let it go for a few days. once your air lock is pumping then dump it into your other batches.

There is no reason to add sugar.

Back