There's a hop or combination of hops that give out a Fruit Loops taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desabat

Reaction score
Has anyone tasted this before? I have a hunch it is Amarillo or maybe a combination of hops and crystal malts? Dunno... But I brewed a an amber ale with amarillo and some centennial and chinook that had that taste somewhat. And yesterday I ordered a Stone Ruination (not the new 2.0) and it was even worse! I want to avoid this flavor profile in my recipes so if anyone knows what causes this it would be helpful to me, thanks.

I've never got a fruit loop taste from either Amarillo or Centennial, and can't remember anything off the top of my head that I can remember with Chinook.

I had a similar experience with a combination of Mosaic and German Hull Melon hops (Starburst Wheat from Saugatuck Brewing). I couldn't even get myself to finish a taster of it.

I have heard that Mosaic puts off a very fruity/berry flavor, I still haven't cracked into the pound I have in the freezer.

I actually have a fruit loops hefe I've done a few times now. Newest version uses Mouteka and Summer hops at the end with a small 60min addition to get more fruitiness but combine the apricot lemon/lime of the hops with the banana toasty hefe flavors, and I think it comes pretty close
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=499587

I dont know if its just a difference in taste buds, but I only get a strong citrus taste from the new Ruination

yeah I've never got anything close to fruity from ruination. Its all typical pine and citrus to me. But maybe youre taste buds were doing something weird. Allergies?

It does seem very odd to get that from the original Ruination, I haven't had the 2.0 yet either. I got some potent juicy fruit/cherry lifesaver from mosaic + citra, came out very like the Fresh Squeezed taste I was after.

Ive had ruination before and this was the first time I got it from that beer. I was drinking wine before that so it might have been that. But ive had that taste before with one of my own brews.

It could also be psychological since it first happened when I gave the hoppy amber ale to a bmc drinker to try, before he opened the bottle he said that hoppy beers taste like fruit loops to him. He liked it but ever since that I can actually taste it.

For me I get Boo-Berry cereal flavor/aroma from centennial/simcoe/amarillo combo in any beer with 1010+ FG with crystal malts in the bill.

starwarsboo.jpg

The infamous fruit loops/fruity pebbles beer.

699-1.jpg

Google search "fruit loops beer" or "fruity pebbles beer" and this is what comes up. Uses Cluster hops and coriander.

Beat me to it. When I first started drinking craft beer, this was one of the few we had thanks to our crazy beer laws at the time. I used to love it. Haven't had it in years, but I remember it definitely having fruit pebbles taste.

Might have to thrown one in a mixed 6er for nostalgia sake.

Their website says they use Cluster hops for the Sunset Wheat. Coriander is also used.

Edit:Just saw where you said Cluster/Coriander already.

That WILL appear very stupid at first glance, but I got something close to that with... :

- Summer
- Summit

(With Bavarian Wheat kicking in the "red" flavor)

I agree that summer is definitely a good place to start for a fruit loops flavor. Its got apricot and peaches and its subtle. You just need to round it out with something berry or melon like and then a hint of citrus

Back