Passion fruit-driven IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renato-BR

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I started homebrewing back in 2010 but I've been in a 7 years hiatus. Since my last brew, a LOT has changed in the hobby: pressure fermentation is accessible to everyone, it looks like nowadays we pay a lot more attention to water profile, there's a much bigger variety in terms of hops and yeasts... anyway, I'm excited to be back but I have a lot of catching up to do!

I'm looking to brew a nice IPA as a start and I want it to smell and taste like passion fruit as much as possible. I know the basics for my recipe but would appreciate any advice from you so this brew can turn out great.

Malts: Maris Otter as a base malt (90%+) and some Carapils for head retention. For this recipe, I want it as basic as possible, no flakes, oat, rye, none of that.

Hops: This is what I have at home: Amarillo, Mosaic, Strata, Harlequin and Galaxy. I want to use a combination of three of those but struggling to decide which one.

Yeast: I have Brewly London Haze (dry) and WLP067 Coastal Haze Ale Blend (liquid) to choose from

Water profile: no freaking clue

Mash profile: 60' @ 68c/154f. I love the taste of Maris Otter, I want a drinkable IPA but with at least some malt flavor.

Boiling time: no idea either. I've always done 60' but I'm seeing a lot of people brewing IPAs with 30' boil only but I'm yet to read more about it

I do not care about haziness, I just want a good, medium-bodied beer that smells and taste like passion fruit and pineapple, with some good bitterness to it.
In terms of ABV, anything between 5-6% would be good for me, not more than that ideally.

Really appreciate any advice here folks! Thanks for rescuing an old fella back into the hobby :)

Hop Comparison Tool & Chart - Beer Maverick this is a good tool for hop comparisons. I’d start here as well as look at the flavor and aroma specifics offered online by the company your hops were packaged by. If all else fails, Yakima valley hops does a pretty good job listing aroma descriptors on their website.

While there are hops pushing some tropical flavors, the two ways to really get passion fruit; Use of one of the GMO Thiol yeasts and putting actual passion fruit into the fermenter. Even a single pound of passionfruit puree in 5 gallons of beer is enough since it's so flavorful and aromatic.

@Kickass thanks for the tip, very useful tool! Do you have any paper/reference I can read about designing the hop schedule? I can always use Brewfather/Beersmith to adjust the IBU but I want to learn a bit more about how to distribute the hop additions through the boil, when/why to do whirpool addition etc.

@Bobby_M yeap, fully agree with you but this time I want to understand how much I can get with just hops and yeast pushing the flavor and aroma. I know that there's no miracle, I'm just curious about how much of these characteristics I can brew into an IPA. The WLP077 Tropicale Yeast Blend seems quite interesting, too bad it's out of stock in my brew shop.

Quick update here. Final recipe went like this (for a 5.5 gal batch):

81% Maris Otter (4.7kg)
10.3% Munich Light (600g)
8.6% Carapils (500g)

60' mash at 67c/152f

12g Galaxy @ 60'
25g Strata @ 30'
25g Amarillo @ 15'
25g Harlequin + 10g Strata @ Whirlpool (at 80c for 10')

WLP067, no starter

25g Amarillo @ Day 1 of fermentation
25g Harlequin + 25g Cryo Citra @ Day 3

Fermentation ended in less than 4 days (1.062 to 1.011, 6.7% ABV), I'm kegging the beer today, should be able to report back on final results in a few days.

I’m VERY interested in a proven passion fruit IPA recipe, anxious to hear how it turns out, the basic specs sound good for what I want to brew.
I have a passion fruit vine in my back yard and just finished processing/juicing a second harvest, now I have 8 pound of juice.
Had a birthday party on Sunday to get help drinking up my beer so now I have room in the kegerator.
In the containers is 5#, in the sink is before juicing

Attachments

• IMG_4375.jpeg
    IMG_4375.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4371.jpeg
    IMG_4371.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Back