the_Wife wants me to buy a bike (advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in 1983. Seems like they're reusing the name, but originally it was used for their mid-sized touring bike (little brother of the Goldwing). Some of the SilverWings have all the big-ass windshield and stuff of the Goldwings (which I don't care for), the bike I'm lookng at is pretty well stripped down to just being a classic, bigger motorcycle without the extras.

Oh, heard back on the Yamaha.

Sounds like it might be worth looking into as well. There's that and the '81 Suzuki that I'm supposed to go see on Sunday, I'm hoping to have picked something out this weekend.

Got to imagine that I'd be able to grab this for ~$500 or so... but man, I really like the Honda. I gotta get my ass on that bike and see, but there's something about it that just grabs me on a visceral level.

I would stay away from that type of Yamaha. The front ends are odd. I had a 850 triple for a while, and with the bars being up and back like that, you loose responsiveness. There is a lot of "flex" or whatever it might be called, it is noticeable, and not very comforting.

That Yammie's not going to happen, but that's good information for others that I might encounter.

He did assure me that the piece of wood in the Yamaha picture is not, in fact, holding the bike up. Doesn't sound like he really knows a LOT about it (I asked him for the model and the engine displacement, he didn't answer either) so I can't imagine he knows anything about its history. Now, if I were an experience mechanic who could go over it part-by-part, I might be interested but it's not under consideration for me now.

I would stay away from that type of Yamaha. The front ends are odd. I had a 850 triple for a while, and with the bars being up and back like that, you loose responsiveness. There is a lot of "flex" or whatever it might be called, it is noticeable, and not very comforting.

Hmmm, I never had a problem like that with my 750 triple. But mine isn't a Special, so it doesn't have the "up and back" bars. But I had a 400 special back in the day, and didn't have that problem, either.

That said, the Yamaha in that pic looks like ****. I'm pulling for you to nab that Silverwing!

You and me both, Bernie - you and me both!

I suppose I should at least get my permit before the weekend! I'm going to run to the DMV tomorrow afternoon (bosses are out of the office for the week) and (unless I'm a ******* and fail) get that taken care of.

Assuming the bike is good to go, Bean and I will run over to the cycle shop and I'll start scoping out gear. How much should I set aside for gear, you think? Helmets are what, $100 - $200? I've got a beat-up leather jacket that I've had since high school, but that's kind big and floppy, so probably no good for riding, right?

You and me both, Bernie - you and me both!

I suppose I should at least get my permit before the weekend! I'm going to run to the DMV tomorrow afternoon (bosses are out of the office for the week) and (unless I'm a ******* and fail) get that taken care of.

Assuming the bike is good to go, Bean and I will run over to the cycle shop and I'll start scoping out gear. How much should I set aside for gear, you think? Helmets are what, $100 - $200? I've got a beat-up leather jacket that I've had since high school, but that's kind big and floppy, so probably no good for riding, right?

Anything leather is great...the thicker the better. I had a nice thick jacket and crashed with it on...saved my hide, literally. Would have taken a couple ounces of flesh off me for sure, but instead took a couple ounces off the dead cow I was wearing. The cordura jackets with armor are great too, but make sure to get one that is build for riding. You don't want to buy one that will melt onto your skin if you happen to slide on the pavement for a while. For a helmet, spend whatever amount you need to for it to be comfortable, properly fitted, and properly rated. I usually plan to pay $150-500, depending on what I want. I prefer a full face, because I like my face and would prefer to keep it if I crash. I really like the higher end HJC helmets for the cheaper end, and Shoei or Arai for the higher end.

But bottom line, get one that fits right. A loose helmet is almost useless, and one that gives you a headache or has poor ventilation ruins any enjoyment you will get from riding. Helmets are the one place you do not want to skimp on.

Bernie, forget about visiting Yooper, come visit me! You can help me buy a bike, and I've got some plumbing work in the new bathroom for ya!

C'mon, don't you want to do a road trip? ;)

HJS IS-Max: ~$190: Flip up, full face, retractable smoke tinted smoke shield.

ismaxant%20large.jpg

Shoei RF-1000: ~350:

rf1000_blackmetallic.jpg

A good helmet is a must for a new rider whether or not the law say's you have to use one or not. I have a Shoei that I wear sometimes like in the rain or cold but most times it this one from Advanced carbon composites

carbon.jpg

its DOT legal and very light almost as light as the beenies I have.

NY makes me wear a helmet but as soon as I hit PA I can go all the way to Sturgis SD without one ...

Bernie, forget about visiting Yooper, come visit me! You can help me buy a bike, and I've got some plumbing work in the new bathroom for ya!

C'mon, don't you want to do a road trip? ;)

Sounds good to me! But I'm not a plumber- I'm an electrician.;)

But I'd be happy to wire it for ya!

I think I'd feel naked without a helmet. Whenever I rode when I was younger, I had to wear a helmet, so they don't bother me. It's like when I get into a car, I put on the seat belt and it feels strange when I don't.

What about like pants? If I'm riding into work, I'm going to need some kind of overpants, right? Something to keep my office-boy khakis clean! Newenough, is that the site everyone uses to buy gear like this?

when looking for a helmet, get a full face one... you don't want to see a picture of what those half helmets do for ya. Or a modular one, a lot of people like those. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good helmet. Try it on before you buy. This is one thing I still like to buy from the brick and mortar stores even if it does cost more. I'm going to be spending probably in excess of a month of time in the next 2 years in the thing, I want to to fit good and be comfortable. A lot of motorcycle shops will price-match online stores... mine does.
Dennis kirk, newenough and motorcycle susperstore are both good websites for gear. Look in their clearance section, if you wear smaller sizes you're usually in luck.
Right now MCsuperstore has Joe Rocket and aplinestars stuff 74% off, might want to look into that even though it's rather picked over now.

Or for instance, I own this helmet in different graphics, and cannot speak high enough about it. It's very quiet, warm in the winter, cool in the summer and doesn't fog that easy. DOT and SNELL approved.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/2107/CITEM/Icon-Mainframe-Hooligan-Helmet-Closeouts.aspx
I would try to find one in a store and try it on first though.

Springer, I support your right to not wear a helmet even being the safety oriented person I am, but I reserve the right to call you stupid for it.

I am not getting into the helmet wars been there over and over on V-twin forum

And there is statistically no difference in deaths or injuries between states that have helmet laws and states that don't like CT

Edit: and calling someone stupid for their beliefs is a little over the line and somewhat personal ....

I am not getting into the helmet wars been there over and over on V-twin forum

And there is statistically no difference in deaths or injuries between states that have helmet laws and states that don't like CT

Edit: and calling someone stupid for their beliefs is a little over the line and somewhat personal ....

you're right, I don't want to really get into this, and I should not have posted it on a forum. I'm sorry.
In real life we just don't let non gear people ride with us anymore because they get hurt.

It's not really a belief though, if it was there would be no way I would have said that. It's a risk you choose to take. You can't believe that hitting your head on the pavement won't hurt you. That is a fact. But you can choose to not wear a helmet in the assumption you will never be involved in an accident where you hit your head.

I've only been through 1 helmet, a set of leathers and 3 sets of textile gear... but not everyone rides as much or as hard. But without the helmet that took a nice beating, I would either be a vegetable or not here. I do not stunt or any of that other jackass **** either.

Sounds like the motorcycle world equivalent of batch vs fly sparging. Lets all agree to disagree and steer away from that topic. :)

BTW damn you all for rekindling my long buried desire for a motorcycle. :D

in 34 years of riding I have been in 1 accident on my bike. rainy night tired as hell and went into a turn to hot I laid the bike down and slide about 120 feet as my bike spun and hit the guard rail ... Leather has some character I now have a permanent pavement tattoo on my leg ,helmet never touched the ground .

I have lost a few friends on bikes but the helmet was least of their worries if you know what I mean

in 34 years of riding I have been in 1 accident on my bike. rainy night tired as hell and went into a turn to hot I laid the bike down and slide about 120 feet as my bike spun and hit the guard rail ... Leather has some character I now have a permanent pavement tattoo on my leg ,helmet never touched the ground .

I have lost a few friends on bikes but the helmet was least of their worries if you know what I mean

Yeah, when a car comes into the picture, a lot of times not much will save them save a full body cast of titanium worn at all times.
I've just been riding with too many people in the past that have come away severely injured due to lack of gear in some way, so I just try to instill in people how important it can be.

I've highsided once in the 30ish mph range and w/o a helmet it would've been over. Let alone the broken bones.
The lowsides never hurt much but they do ruin gear rather quick.
I even lowsided an enduro in the northern nevada desert at who knows how fast, but we were something like 80 miles from a town, and if I would have been seriously injured, I think the nearest hospital was in Fallon which was hundreds of miles away. Thankfully the gear did it's job(that and it was mostly sand and sage) and we road to our destination that day.

Anything leather is great...the thicker the better. I had a nice thick jacket and crashed with it on...saved my hide, literally. Would have taken a couple ounces of flesh off me for sure, but instead took a couple ounces off the dead cow I was wearing. The cordura jackets with armor are great too, but make sure to get one that is build for riding. You don't want to buy one that will melt onto your skin if you happen to slide on the pavement for a while. For a helmet, spend whatever amount you need to for it to be comfortable, properly fitted, and properly rated. I usually plan to pay $150-500, depending on what I want. I prefer a full face, because I like my face and would prefer to keep it if I crash. I really like the higher end HJC helmets for the cheaper end, and Shoei or Arai for the higher end.

But bottom line, get one that fits right. A loose helmet is almost useless, and one that gives you a headache or has poor ventilation ruins any enjoyment you will get from riding. Helmets are the one place you do not want to skimp on.

id also like to add. that the leather is great for right now but plan on buying something besides that leather jacket. if you buy a new jacket look to make sure it has not just elbow and upper back protection but also lower spine. and wear the helmet in the store for about 10 min as your shopping. if it is comfortable and not too hot youll most likely like it on the road.

I think I'd feel naked without a helmet. Whenever I rode when I was younger, I had to wear a helmet, so they don't bother me. It's like when I get into a car, I put on the seat belt and it feels strange when I don't.

What about like pants? If I'm riding into work, I'm going to need some kind of overpants, right? Something to keep my office-boy khakis clean! Newenough, is that the site everyone uses to buy gear like this?

newenough is a great site. do not know the dress code but you can get rider jeans that has kevlar lining. around 80 bucks. pack the khakis and change at the office. i wear the jeans. oh and gloves dont forget gloves and boots.

Five Tips for Buying Motorcycle Riding Boots - Associated Content
Riding Boots - Buyer's Guide - Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine
Motorcycle Boot Buying For Newbies « Motorcycleworld360
Motorcycle Boots - webBikeWorld

and one last site Protective Gear - Ninja250Wiki

they have a ton of information for riders of all experience levels. read the faq's to the frequent discussed topics. you will learn a ton

when looking for a helmet, get a full face one... you don't want to see a picture of what those half helmets do for ya. Or a modular one, a lot of people like those. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good helmet. Try it on before you buy. This is one thing I still like to buy from the brick and mortar stores even if it does cost more. I'm going to be spending probably in excess of a month of time in the next 2 years in the thing, I want to to fit good and be comfortable. A lot of motorcycle shops will price-match online stores... mine does.
Dennis kirk, newenough and motorcycle susperstore are both good websites for gear. Look in their clearance section, if you wear smaller sizes you're usually in luck.
Right now MCsuperstore has Joe Rocket and aplinestars stuff 74% off, might want to look into that even though it's rather picked over now.

Or for instance, I own this helmet in different graphics, and cannot speak high enough about it. It's very quiet, warm in the winter, cool in the summer and doesn't fog that easy. DOT and SNELL approved.
Icon Mainframe Hooligan Helmet - Street Bike - Men's Riding Gear - Closeout - Motorcycle Superstore
I would try to find one in a store and try it on first though.
ive been trying to find someone that has bought an icon and there are no good reviews of them. i seriously just bought the 79 buck bell helmet from walmart thinking id use it until i bought another. the thing is quiet and nice and cool as well. DO NOT BUY A USED HELMET!

Icon's haven't gotten good reviews. Bell's are, apparently, a pretty good helmet for the money.

Most full face helmets which are DOT "approved" (a misnomer, but a google search can say more than I..) offer approximately the same protection. What you pay for is features and sometimes - headshape. I've got a goofy shaped head, my old HJC CL-14 ($150) was getting long in the tooth. Nothing from the new HJC line fit. Nothing but the Shoei RF-1000 ($300) and Arai Corsair ($600) fit my head properly. I bought the Shoei. I've bought all my gear other than helmets online - but helmets are the one thing you at least need to SHOP for at a brick and mortar. Don't presume that if one brand's model fits another model from the same brand will too. It likely wont.

Wearing anything less than a full face is, in my humble oppinion, foolish - if only because of the number of small rocks/ bugs I've caught with my helmet. I know how bad little rocks feel on the hands - with gloves - I don't want to think about the naked face. I've also seen plenty of trashed helmets from face first slides. Crap happens, it's foolish to presume it won't happen to you. That said, it's an individual choice to not wear a full face - I used to smoke knowing the potential consequences....

Definitely check out the tourmaster line of gear. Reasonably priced and well built. Newenough has pretty honest descriptions of gear... I've bought jackets from $70-$150 from them. Expect to pay $120-$180 for pants. Make sure whatever you buy has armor in contact points.

Furthermore, make sure whatever you ride has good tires that were recently manufactured. All have DOT codes which you can google search how to read. After 4-5 years rubber dries up, majorly reducing (namely wet) traction. My one wreck so far was partially caused by ignoring same advice....

I type too much.

I road with a full face 20 years ago. Now I ride with a half shell.

99% of accident survival is avoiding the situation in the first place. With my full face I always felt disconnected from the road, traffic, weather. My peripheral vision was 50% of what it is with an open.

Everyone rides to their comfort level. For me, closed in helmets diminish my reactive capabilities.

I road with a full face 20 years ago. Now I ride with a half shell.

99% of accident survival is avoiding the situation in the first place.

But what about when you go looking for that situation? :D

n751423596_1364720_116.jpg

Not that anyone here probably cares but Bell has a really nice dirt helmet on sale for about $40, DOT and SNELL, AND it's made of fiberglass instead of polycarbonate. You usually pay $300 for that quality.

99% of accident survival is avoiding the situation in the first place. With my full face I always felt disconnected from the road, traffic, weather. My peripheral vision was 50% of what it is with an open.

Everyone rides to their comfort level. For me, closed in helmets diminish my reactive capabilities.

Plus 10^6. I've highsided a bike wearing only my leather jacket, half helmet, and goggles. (Have some scars on my face to prove it too). After that, when I got back on my bike, I bought a full face helmet at SWMBO's request. I've only worn it a handful of times-- I just don't like it. I wear my 1/2 helmet exclusively.

BTW: I heartily recommend wiley x goggles if you don't have a face shield on your helmet. I wear these. They work.

Ugh.

My wife's uncle just had a kid on a bike die in his driveway. Sounds like "Suicide By Motorcycle."

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/Motorcycle_chase_ends_tragically_20090604

Doesn't change the equation at all, it's just kind of a tragic coincidence to have this happen.

You know what's sick? Some woman called Joe up after she saw him on the news, to have him make her some signs.... and to bang him.

According to the news report, his facebook posting made it look like he was intentionally riding into a suicide.

According to the news report, his facebook posting made it look like he was intentionally riding into a suicide.

Sad to see. Must have been some bad stuff going on for him.

Glad to see bird that this didn't put a damper on your plans. I hate to see people miss out on life because of someone else's mistakes. I think NOT doing something because it's OTHER people get hurt doing it is stupid, unless of course it's avoiding Under water boxing matches with sharks.

BTW: I heartily recommend wiley x goggles if you don't have a face shield on your helmet. I wear these. They work.

Those look great but for those of us that need vision correction they aren't practical. I use prescription sunglasses during the day and prescription safety glasses at night. And my bike has a fairing and windshield.

Glad to see bird that this didn't put a damper on your plans...

I thinks it's important for riders to seek out and learn about bike mishaps.

A) It instills a keen sense of sobriety regarding the risks.
B) Every mishap has the elements of cause and effect. Search out the causes and keep them in your mind when you're riding.

Well, this was just a tragic coincidence. Seems that the kid wanted to kill himself; he could have hung himself, and I wouldn't throw away all the rope I own, you know?

Really, it's more I feel bad for this kids' family, and for Uncle Joe (who's one of the best people you could ever hope to meet) having to experience this.

Those look great but for those of us that need vision correction they aren't practical. I use prescription sunglasses during the day and prescription safety glasses at night. And my bike has a fairing and windshield.

They're available with prescription lenses :) I wear contacts and ride without a windshield, so the air movement does funny things to my eyes when just wearing sunglasses. Clear lenses at night, smoke for the day...light and comfortable.

"Class M," baby! Just walked down to the DMV, walked out with my permit.

What a joke that test is. Twenty-five questions; got three wrong, two of which were related to the penalties assessed on someone between the ages of 16.5 and 18 who gets a traffic violation.... I didn't read that section!

Most of the questions were like (and I'm getting the verbiage wrong, but these WERE the questions)

"Do you need to do a LOT of drugs to be too impaired to drive, or will just a little big f*ck you up?"

"When should you be concerned about a person with impaired vision?" Correct answer: WHEN THEY'RE NEAR YOUR F*CKING CAR!

Not a single question related to actually, you know... RIDING A MOTORCYCLE!

What a joke that test is. Twenty-five questions; got three wrong, two of which were related to the penalties assessed on someone between the ages of 16.5 and 18 who gets a traffic violation.... I didn't read that section!

Most of the questions were like (and I'm getting the verbiage wrong, but these WERE the questions)

"Do you need to do a LOT of drugs to be too impaired to drive, or will just a little big f*ck you up?"

"When should you be concerned about a person with impaired vision?" Correct answer: WHEN THEY'RE NEAR YOUR F*CKING CAR!

Too funny! It's been so long since I took my written exam I have no idea what was on it. And the practical exam was a joke back then, too. They just set up cones in the parking lot of the DMV and you had to slalom around them. Nowadays they give you a radio helmet and have you ride around town while they follow you in a van telling you what to do and assessing your ride. Much better that way.

But I know you are taking the safety course, so you won't have to do that.......

They're available with prescription lenses :) I wear contacts and ride without a windshield, so the air movement does funny things to my eyes when just wearing sunglasses. Clear lenses at night, smoke for the day...light and comfortable.

Yikes! At 114 bones with plain lenses how much are they w/prescription????

Grr. Arr.

Just found out that I can't ride in Vermont with a MA permit. Makes sense, I suppose. OUGHT to obey the laws, I suppose... the bike's in Bennington, if I buy it I'm bug Evan into riding it up to my folks, then I guess I'll either have to borrow a pickup or wait for my brother to ride it back to MA for me. I'm pretty sure he won't mind... ;)

Prescription lenses in glasses like these are great unless you are like me and have a +9.75 prescription. You cant get any cool frames with these soda bottle lenses. :(

I've started wearing contacts again just so I can wear nice protective eyewear for bicycle riding and goggles for swimming.

Craig

Yes bird I am ready your thread and living vicariously through you. I'm interested in riding but not enough so to start the fight with my wife who thinks you will kill yourself the moment you straddle a motorcycle.

Yikes! At 114 bones with plain lenses how much are they w/prescription????

That's MSRP...better prices around ;)

Prescription lenses in glasses like these are great unless you are like me and have a +9.75 prescription. You cant get any cool frames with these soda bottle lenses. :(

Yikes! I feel for you...I had LASIK 10 years ago or so...went from a -8.5 to nothing back to about a -2.0 now. At least I don't run into doors anymore w/o my glasses :cross:

Great! Hope all goes well in your search this weekend :mug:

Back