the_Wife wants me to buy a bike (advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's about an hour away from me, the bike's not registered, and unfortunately I do not own a pickup. I can load a good dozen sheets of drywall in the back of a Honda Element, but not sure about a Honda Nighthawk! That's a big part of why I need Big Bro's help!

Well, there's always this:
BikeHauler.jpg

Late chiming in - but in my experience the best bike to learn on is a Sportster (not trying to be a homer here either...I ride an '04 Road King now - last scoot was an 84 Shovelhead - originally a Low Rider). An 883 has all the low end tourqe to take off smooth, and get you around very comfortably. I might suggest a 1200 for someone 6'2 (and male...) - but - they cost a little more than a cheap CL rice burner... but they're also a bike you might just keep forever (he who dies with the most bikes wins, right?).

I have quite a few friends that failed learning on Kawi's and Suzukis - only to pick it up very easily on a Sporty...

Couple other bikes I'm inquiring about. '81 Suzuki GS550, and an '81 Honda 750K. Don't know a lot about either; both are Craigslist ads, both are a little more local to me so I can check them out closely.

If you can find one that is road ready and will pass inspection, negotiate with the seller to arrange for him/her to go get it inspected on the way to delivering it to you.

That's what I did and it saved me the headache.

:off:You know, I was happy enough. A while back, I was wondering about motorcycles, figured I'd fix one up.

Luckily, I only got my hands on a 50cc Shaft-drive yamaha QT50 "motorcycle"(according to FL...) and was happy enough when it was fixed, ran and 60cc's. It wasn't for riding, but to prove I could do it.

Now, after reading this thread, I want to go out there and find something much bigger and put it back in running order to ride.

Anywho...back on topic...While the negatives of shaft-driven are valid, the "maintenance-free" aspect of it is great. You'll never really need to deal with it if the bike has been properly maintained.

:off:If you're ever in Birmingham, AL; check out the Haley Barbour Museum. It's filled with hundreds of vintage motorcycles. Well worth the visit just to look.

The 550L was my first bike and a good starter bike (mine was an 81). Pretty much bullet proof other than the charging system. If it's under $1000, has a good charging system, and all gears shift good - you probably can't go wrong.

Do take a voltmeter with you (for pretty much any bike) and test the charging system. If it reads higher when running (around 13.5 to 15.0 volts) than when off (12.5-13 volts) then the charging system is probably good. Ideally, do with the bike cold and warmed up as some stator (alternator) issues only show up when the bike is hot.

Electrex, while having some quality issues lately, has an excellent charging system diagnisosis page here. On some bikes, a stator issue is a simple, $300 fix. On others, it's a pull the engine and cuss a lot $300 fix.

Well, the only person I've heard back from is on the Suzie. It's right on the way in to work, I could just see it across the highway. All I know so far is that the husband's been driving it to work every day, so at least I know it runs! I'll probably wait a week until my brother's in town to check it out, if they sell it in the meantime NBD. I have seen on other forums that the electrical system seems to be occassionally a little spotty on these bikes, which gives me a little pause.

I've also seen a couple of Rebel 250s listed, both newer and older models, but I suspect those are going to be a wee bit small, physically.

Well, the only person I've heard back from is on the Suzie. It's right on the way in to work, I could just see it across the highway. All I know so far is that the husband's been driving it to work every day, so at least I know it runs! I'll probably wait a week until my brother's in town to check it out, if they sell it in the meantime NBD. I have seen on other forums that the electrical system seems to be occassionally a little spotty on these bikes, which gives me a little pause.

I've also seen a couple of Rebel 250s listed, both newer and older models, but I suspect those are going to be a wee bit small, physically.

Great bikes to learn on, but you'll get tired of it REAL quick! A friend had one, and while they are pretty comfortable for a small bike, they just leave you wanting a bit more in the power department. 250cc is just barely enough to cruise at freeway speeds without rattling your teeth out of your skull. IMHO, 450cc-750cc is perfect for a bike you can learn on AND enjoy for years.

I'm also quoting out a '92 Honda CB750.

It's a local dealer, they don't have a price up but have a "request a quote" feature so I'll get a call from one of the sales guys tomorrow, I'm sure. Blue Book is just under $2,000. More than I want to spend right now, but worth looking into at least. You'd HOPE, since this particular dealership seems to have a pretty decent reputation, that they'd have looked it over (this would be the "I really don't have time to learn how to tinker right now!" alternative). We'll see what they say.

EDIT: I've got to say, I know you can't go wrong with pretty much any of the Japanese bikes, but I'm really partial to Hondas. I used to be a Yamaha fan when I was growing up (mostly because that's what we had for three-wheelers), but even then the Hondas were known for being absolutely bulletproof when it came to quality. I've had great success with Honda autos, which just reinforces that.

vp1259353_1.jpg

That looks super clean Jay.

You can never go wrong with stepping up a bit for a nicer bike....or nicer keggle...or a bigger tun...or a.....

....maybe it's a guy thing. :)

Nighthawks are nice all-a-rounders. VERY forgiving, yet capable. And from my experience, Hondas are solid, most anything that goes wrong you can fix with a chilton's manual and a torque wrench. I had a Nighthawk450 about 15 yrs ago. I slacked a bit on the upkeep, but in the spring, all I did was charge the battery, and push the button. Away we went.

I rode all over the state of Florida on that thing. Through swamps, and all the way up and down I75. Very comfortable for a 450.

I look forward to see what you wind up with.

Yeah, it just seems like I wouldn't feel the need to push up for something nicer in a year or two if I bit the bullet and got something like that. Got to imagine they'll quote me something around $2,500 - $2,800; I'm not ready to spend THAT much right now, but if I could get something clean nice like this for a bit over $2,000? Think I'd have to do that. Maybe they'll cut me a deal if I buy my helmet and leathers there, too!

EDIT: Oh, and I quoted out my insurance, too. Once I'm all MSF-classed up and legal, looks like it'll only be about $150 a year through Progressive, buying as much liability coverage as I can but not insuring for any collision damage on the bike itself. That's do-able, I was worried it might be a decent amount more than that. THANK GOD we can now buy Progressive in MA!

And, I just registered for the MSF class. Should be early July (classes were filled until the week after the 4th; probably just as well to wait a LITTLE while, so I can get the kitchen finished).

Early 90's Nighthawk 750 should be right there around $2k, maybe a couple hundred more for a very low mileage and clean ride. I love those bikes. Plenty of power, low maintenance, and easy on the pocketbook. Even if it stretches the budget, that is what I'd go for. It will pay for itself in the long run, as that's a bike you can keep for the rest of your life.

Maybe they'll cut me a deal if I buy my helmet and leathers there, too!

I can not impress the importance of good gear enough. Helmet, jacket, gloves, pants(not jeans) and boots every time you go ride. When I'm on the road I don't plan on crashing or getting hit by the jackass on his cellphone that decided his conversation was more important than my life, but it happens. And I'm still here to tell you to wear the gear so you can walk away.
And further, if you want to know how to spot an inexperienced rider? He's not wearing a helmet. Cause the experienced riders not wearing helmets are dead or in a wheelchair.

Now when we go off-road or to the track, generally my philosophy is, if you're not crashing, you're not riding hard enough. Or to take page from Mr Andretti: “If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”
Ever watch AMA, world superbike or motoGP, they'll lowside the thing at 100mph, get up grab the bike and get back in the race asap not hurting at all thanks to the gear.

Welp, missed out on the '92 Nighthawk, I had a message to call the saleman back that I missed until this morning, and it sold over the weekend. I'm not in any rush to buy something this week, the_Wife will kill me if I ride anything before I take the MSF class.

Now why do you have to get me looking at bikes again...argghhh!!! Just saw this beauty on CL...for under $7k!

07 Yamaha FZ1

3n53k23paZZZZZZZZZ95s9b26b0b609ba10b2.jpg

FZ1 is a really nice bike, but it's no beginner's bike.

IrregularPulse said:
This is what I always told my old Riding Buddy who was afraid get his bike dirty because then he'd have to clean it.

a dirt bike only looks good dirty. Therefore you don't ever have to clean it... even if it's dirty.

I'm seriously considering trading my Strom in for a Triumph Tiger. Its so damned sexy.

Ive owned a cruiser, and well I think I can say the pirate life is not for me. Give me the standard position adventure style bike any day of the week.

I'm seriously considering trading my Strom in for a Triumph Tiger. Its so damned sexy.

Ive owned a cruiser, and well I think I can say the pirate life is not for me. Give me the standard position adventure style bike any day of the week.

The strom and tiger and kind of in the same class. Although the tiger has more power, especially if you're on a wee. The tiger costs more, and depending on the yr/deal you can get you might be able to pick up a 1200gs or f800gs for roughly the same price which is a much more capable adv bike than either the strom or tiger.

The strom and tiger and kind of in the same class. Although the tiger has more power, especially if you're on a wee. The tiger costs more, and depending on the yr/deal you can get you might be able to pick up a 1200gs or f800gs for roughly the same price which is a much more capable adv bike than either the strom or tiger.

Yep, Ive done my homework on them all. I love my Wee. And to be totally honest I doubt I would ever get rid of it unless of course I went up to a Vee. Now between the Beemer and the Triumph.....Call me jaded, but every GS owner I know has spent thousands on maintenance and basic upkeep. The triumph has some issues too, but Im more partial to it than I am the GS. I just don't think I'd go BMW just from all the horror stories Ive heard

My wee turns one year old in two weeks, and Ive had 9000 miles of pure enjoyment. It does everything I could ever ask. The only complaint I have is that I do ride with sportbikes on the weekends. A lot more power and speed would definitely be nice.

And I like the older tigers more than the new ones

01tigerfp.jpg

FZ1 is a really nice bike, but it's no beginner's bike.

a dirt bike only looks good dirty. Therefore you don't ever have to clean it... even if it's dirty.

Nope, beginner bike it is not. A friend of mine that works for Yamaha let me ride his down PCH...beautiful ride and just TONS of power. Perfect bike IMHO to set up for sport riding, in-town riding, or sport-touring. Good all around experienced riders bike...

Yep, that is the only color I would by a tiger in. It's damn sexy. I think they had that back like pre 02 or something? When they were still carbed and I think like a 905 or 955 or something along those lines. Plus the I-3 sounds awesome.
The reason I have a klr over the wee, is I'm more biased towards the dirt, and the stroms and tiger are not very dirt oriented... they're more like a euro styled bike(standard seating, a good bit of power, long travel suspension with a 19" front.) to eat up ****ty tramac or gravel.

But I've seen people do things on a gs that I would only do on a ~400. Like enduro the thing. So I have a lot of respect for them.

As far as adv bikes go, consider a ktm 950 or 990? Sweet ****ing bikes. Scary to. Ever done 120 down a dirt road? :D

As far as adv bikes go, consider a ktm 950 or 990? Sweet ****ing bikes.

I keep hearing that. Its just that front end that turns me away. Im not diggin it at all. Everything else Ive heard about the bike sounds like its a solid machine though.

I don't know......what a problem to have eh? What is my next bike going to be? I still have a year to pay on mine though, so no decisions anytime soon.

I can see that with the adventure models, but it's a functionality thing.

The 950 super enduro doesn't have that problem though:

08ktm950se.jpg

but yes, it's basically a 90hp dirt bike.

08ktm950se.jpg

but yes, it's basically a 100hp dirt bike.

As we are away from the OP's topic, Why in Gods name would you want a dirt bike over..say 600cc?? or maybe 400?? That thing looks like it would kill you quick..But happy:D:

is it a single? The torque??

Sorry I've been away awhile.

08ktm950se.jpg

but yes, it's basically a 100hp dirt bike.

omfg supermoto

I would so put some street tires on that thing

As we are away from the OP's topic, Why in Gods name would you want a dirt bike over..say 600cc?? or maybe 400?? That thing looks like it would kill you quick..But happy:D:

Because these are made for crazy long races through deserts and woods and what not. Not a track bike.

I vote THIS
ktm_duke_690_2008.jpg

No it's a 75* V-twin. Still a lot of torque there. And yes, I believe it's made to kill people.
But they do claim 460 dry, so yes it's heavy, but not horribly. Plus it's more of an enduro/adventure than a dirt bike.

omfg supermoto

I would so put some street tires on that thing

950 supermoto:

4192_25060584103.jpg

I kind of really like ktm's despite the fact I can't really afford one.
They've got a supebike coming out to with that same lc8 75* v-twin. Probably along the lines of a duc as far as hp and torque goes.

oh and the 690SM & 690 duke video from ktm is sweet.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RAUIc0-hXQ]YouTube - KTM 690 SM promo[/ame]

hijack over? maybe.

Go ahead and jack, I don't care. I'm just looking at boring old riceburners. Put in an inquiry into a 1980 Yamaha, didn't even list the model number so I'm not optimistic it's passed inspection recently or has a clean title. We'll see.

The only "sporty" bike that kind of has grabbed my eye (but also seems n00b-friendly) is the Buell Blast. Seems a few ones around, 2000 - 2002 vintage, for a couple grand, maybe a little less. Those any good?

Back