the_Wife wants me to buy a bike (advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because these are made for crazy long races through deserts and woods and what not. Not a track bike.

I vote THIS
ktm_duke_690_2008.jpg

dirtbike turned streetfighter

I ride my friend's BKing regularly. Wow, now that is the most powerful bike Ive ever been on. Now they are not comfortable and I would never own one. But they are a blast to go loop around town a time or two

post-77-1208413325.jpg

Go ahead and jack, I don't care. I'm just looking at boring old riceburners. Put in an inquiry into a 1980 Yamaha, didn't even list the model number so I'm not optimistic it's passed inspection recently or has a clean title. We'll see.

The only "sporty" bike that kind of has grabbed my eye (but also seems n00b-friendly) is the Buell Blast. Seems a few ones around, 2000 - 2002 vintage, for a couple grand, maybe a little less. Those any good?

Those are amazing beginer's bikes. 500cc Single. I think they are rather short to, so that can be confidence inspiring.

But the reason I want a 950 or even 990 enduro:
543747740_RN5JA-XL.jpg

That's from some guys that recently rode the sahara.

The only "sporty" bike that kind of has grabbed my eye (but also seems n00b-friendly) is the Buell Blast. Seems a few ones around, 2000 - 2002 vintage, for a couple grand, maybe a little less. Those any good?

This is what I was thinking when I first started wanting a bike. Until i sat on one. They are very small. I am 6'0 and would not be comfortable at all on one. The lightnings on the other hand would be a very probably bike if I ever get to the point of extra cash for one.

I ride my friend's BKing regularly. Wow, now that is the most powerful bike Ive ever been on. Now they are not comfortable and I would never own one. But they are a blast to go loop around town a time or two

post-77-1208413325.jpg

It may just be the angle of pic, but that looks like a long fork for that style bike? No?

Oooh, this looks nice.

1983 honda gl 650 silverwing nice looker
Vehicle Description

you're looking at a used honda gl650 silverwing this bike is in very nice shape it run's great.every thing works the tires are like new.it rides nice and shifts nice.it is ready for the road.there is some small rips in the seat.

EDIT: Drr... pics don't seem to want to load...

!BTf)44gBGk~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLm,etkBKI)eof-7!~~_1.JPG

Oooh, this looks nice.

EDIT: Drr... pics don't seem to want to load...

If the price is right and it runs well jump on it. You'll like the low maintinence of the shaft drive and the HP will be right up you're alley for a beginner that won't outgrow it quickly or at all. Only downside is it's heavy. Don't hurt yourself when you pick it up.

post-77-1208413325.jpg

What? you are the first person I have ever heard say the BKing was uncomfortable? Whats bad about it?

And Sadly I have to get rid of my baby- 07 SV1000s

What? you are the first person I have ever heard say the BKing was uncomfortable? Whats bad about it?

Im 6'4"......theres no leg room

Bird, I like where you are headed with the classic style. Definitely keep us up to date on what your looking at.

Haven't yet, hoping for the weekend (just found out about it yesterday). Evanmars is going to come along with me, he's got a little more experience than I so he can be a second set of eyes, but he's out of town for a couple days. I am supposed to go look at the Suzuki GS550 Sunday morning, too; that's cheaper but sounds like it needs a little bit of tinkering.

If the price is right and it runs well jump on it. You'll like the low maintinence of the shaft drive and the HP will be right up you're alley for a beginner that won't outgrow it quickly or at all. Only downside is it's heavy. Don't hurt yourself when you pick it up.

I gotta get me on the Silverwing, that looks like my kind of ride! **** those sport bike punks! ;)

I agree with z987k- the 650 Silverwing will be a great bike to start on, and you may never outgrow it.

As far as the sport bikes go, (I prefer the term Crotch Rocket) they are decent bikes but the temptation to turn yourself into a squid is too great for some. I was at a stoplight next to a sport bike yesterday, and when the light turned green the a$$hat proceeded to pop a 2-gear wheelie down Main Street. I just shook my head. While I'm smart enough to know that it's the rider, not the bike, it's morons like him that give responsible riders a bad name. If you can ride these bikes responsibly (or any bike for that matter) more power to you. Literally. As a matter of personal taste, I prefer the classic style.

I'm more of a fan of the classic style, too. The one appeal of something like the Buell Blast (assuming that I could fit on it comfortably) was that it might be a little easier to handle because of the light weight. Is the weight something that's really most evident when I'm riding at slow speeds? Does it make it more difficult to handle generally, or does having a bike that's less "flickable" make it smoother somehow? Without much riding experience, I'm just trying to imagine whether I really want something that's bigger, or whether I really should hold off for something that's a little, well... littler.

There is a Blast for sale, but it's probably about two hours north of here. Just went on Craigslist yesterday.

Ha!

The V-Max is such a gorgeous piece of machinery. I started this process so clueless I had no idea it was such a beast when you first mentioned it.

Is the weight something that's really most evident when I'm riding at slow speeds? Does it make it more difficult to handle generally, or does having a bike that's less "flickable" make it smoother somehow?

I have ridden exactly 3 street bikes: a Honda 250 Rebel at the MSF class, a rented HD softtail something or other for one day (hated it), and 4 years now on my Victory Hammer. Quite honestly I was more comfortable on the bigger bikes at slow speed than the little Honda Wedgie. Don't fear the bigger bike has been my experience. I realize that the plural of anecdote is *not* data, but it's my $0.02 regardless. Get something you like and ride the snot out of it. :rockin:

The Blast is an "ok" bike, but I think you'll outgrow it quickly. I've only ridden one once, and while it was definitely a light and small bike it just had a "cheap" feel to it. It didn't have the sturdy, heavy feel of a Harley, nor the smoothness of a Honda. The single cylinder 500cc engine puts out about 35hp, which isn't bad but I think you'd get REALLY bored with it inside of a year. But, it would be a great beginner bike so maybe that's a good place to start.

As far as the weight of the bike making it more/less maneuverable, it definitely plays a role in the handling. However, I've found that it has a lot more to do with the location of that weight. If the weight is down low to the ground, even at slow speeds the bike will be easy to turn around. And at high speed, wheelbase, wheel size and suspension are more important that overall weight. A light bike is really nice when you are in the twistys going from one hard corner to the next, but I'm more concerned about stability within the corner and the ability to hold my line. Light bikes frequenty have underbuilt suspension, especially when you look at older bikes under 500cc's. I had a 1969 Honda CB350, and it was a very short and light bike. Tons of fun around town, very "flickable" and easy to throw around tight parking lots and busy traffic. However, the suspension was deplorable when hitting the hills.

Another thing to think about.. if you go with the all out cruiser style, they tend to have more rake than a bike should have, which makes them much harder to turn(it's really pronounced on a chopper, they have to lean into a turn 3 times to complete it), but nice and stable down a straight line. While on the other side the supersport has little and is very unstable but will turn on a dime. (just like about anything, instability leads to maneuverability.) Of course there are more factors like wheel and tire size, suspension... So I think the more standard and touring types that you're looking at with the nice compromise between the two would be best for a beginner without getting a 30hp bike that you're going to outgrow in a year. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but some people rather not outgrow it so quickly. But hey my last bike was 120hp and the one I currently ride is only 42. Guess which one is more fun, comfortable, versatile, etc.

Silverwing, isnt that a Honda Scooter?

Not in 1983. Seems like they're reusing the name, but originally it was used for their mid-sized touring bike (little brother of the Goldwing). Some of the SilverWings have all the big-ass windshield and stuff of the Goldwings (which I don't care for), the bike I'm lookng at is pretty well stripped down to just being a classic, bigger motorcycle without the extras.

Oh, heard back on the Yamaha.

The reason I'm selling the bike for $750 is because it's an older bike that runs and drives and is good for anyone who wants something older to learn on or ride. It has a clean title and the only real work that I can tell it might need is a few bolts and small, if any, patch work on the exhaust. I'm not a big bike guy, so I don't know too much about specific details of the engine. Sorry! The kickstand is NOT broken. The piece of wood was just leaning on it. Shouldn't have included it in the pic. I got this bike from a buddy of mine who couldn't store it in his garage anymore due to landlord reasons. If you're looking for an older, cheap bike to learn on that might need very minor repairs than it should be worth it for ya. I'm asking $750 but will take best offer. I work full-time during the week so if you want give my cell phone a call (**********) so I can better explain any questions you might have about it!

Sounds like it might be worth looking into as well. There's that and the '81 Suzuki that I'm supposed to go see on Sunday, I'm hoping to have picked something out this weekend.

Got to imagine that I'd be able to grab this for ~$500 or so... but man, I really like the Honda. I gotta get my ass on that bike and see, but there's something about it that just grabs me on a visceral level.

3k63ma3leZZZZZZZZZ95vdc62845c0b4b1ef4.jpg

post-77-1208413325.jpg

how did your buddy get this bike in the us? did he just mod a busa to look like the bking or did he grey market the bike?

how did your buddy get this bike in the us? did he just mod a busa to look like the bking or did he grey market the bike?

it's been available at every suzuki dealer in the US for a a year or two. My local dealer has one one the floor.

a 400 or 550 is a great size bike you should have plenty of riding and not have to worry about out growing. you only outgrow a bike in your mind. if you have a 10 mile commute dont hessitate on a smaller bike. you can change sprockets easy to adjust gearing for highway or in town easy. opinions on bikes is like opinions on what beer is the best. small large fast slow. its all up to you and what you like. you can take an old cb350 and that bike can be a very fun bike for ever. the older cb's are also larger bikes. they may not do the 0-60 in 2.2 seconds but it will get you there faster then most cars. look at what it all needs then include about 300 to 600 for safety equipment jacket boots pants helmet gloves and your good to go. i havent outgrown my 250 ninja. i have ridden the cbr600rr i have ridden the r1 and the blackbirds. i have ridden the busa. the harley and the rebel. everyone of those bikes were fun. and i still get on my little 250 and ride and have a smile all the way to my destination.

find the style you like and if its in good shape go for it. tires are pretty cheap for the most part.

BTW here are my list of websites i visit for parts and accesories.

Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories by BikeBandit.com great site for oem parts with microfiche
Motorcycle Superstore - Motorcycle Accessories and Motorcycle Gear great prices on jackets helmets and the such
Cycle Gear - Motorcycle Apparel, Parts and Accessories lots of local strores and they are open on sunday

if you plan on weekend rides and have friends who ride then find out what com system they have. those can be cheap to expensive. the bluetooth setups are sweet.

anyway get out there and ride darn it. ;-)

it's been available at every suzuki dealer in the US for a a year or two. My local dealer has one one the floor.

wow. i have been waiting for these to come out. a stripped down naked busa. woohooooo. i looked at the suzuki usa site and they dont list it. thats what i was asking. awesome. ill have to go and check this out when i am back in tulsa.

OK, going up to look at the Silverwing on Saturday. Asked the guy why he's getting rid of it; "I'm buying a Harley!"

I'm not necessarily someone who loves Harleys over everything else, but that's the answer I wanted to hear! Rode the Honda in to work today, but he just wants to get a Harley - not something being wrong with the Honda.

I can't fall in love until I sit on the bike.... but if this bike looks good and feels right, I don't think I'm looking at the Suzuki, I don't think I'm looking at the Yamaha. That's probably not the smartest thing for me, but this seems like The Bike for me.

I'm the same way, you don't wanna buy the first thing you see, but you also can't pass up a good deal, cause if you wait and go back, it'll be gone.

I'm the same way, you don't wanna buy the first thing you see, but you also can't pass up a good deal, cause if you wait and go back, it'll be gone.

Now, he's also asking $1,400, which is full book value assuming that the bike's in excellent condition. Not sure whether there's wiggle room or not. Thing is, that if the bike is as clean in person as it looks online, and that it feels right and rides good and all that, I'm not going to lose it over a couple hundred bucks, either. It's still $200 less than the bike my wife originally told me to buy!

Damn, how much would I be kicking myself if I had bought the Suzimatic.... :D

Hey Bird keep this in mind while you are shopping around. You're most likely going to outgrow the size of your bike within a few months if you go small. But thats what stater bikes are for right? As confidence levels and sheer enjoyment go through the roof you are going to want a bike that can keep up with how you want to ride. Im not saying you are going to turn into a speed freak or anything (well who knows, you may) but you will eventually want that extra power and room.

Now, he's also asking $1,400, which is full book value assuming that the bike's in excellent condition. Not sure whether there's wiggle room or not. Thing is, that if the bike is as clean in person as it looks online, and that it feels right and rides good and all that, I'm not going to lose it over a couple hundred bucks, either. It's still $200 less than the bike my wife originally told me to buy!

Damn, how much would I be kicking myself if I had bought the Suzimatic.... :D

Is this the same seller that said he didn't know anything about bikes? If so start looking at everything that's not perfect and pointing the out. Even they're tiny things, a list of 50 tiny things would sound like a lot when mentioning them all as you see them. and He most likely won't know they're aren't big deals. Just act like you know what you're looking at. That should bring him down on price. He probably just looked the bike up on kbb or something similar and said, okay that's what it's worth, that's what I'll sell it for. Another sign he may not know much about it.

No, this guy's a rider who seems to know his stuff. The beat-up Yamaha that's down in Dalton, he doesn't know anything about bikes; he was asking $750 but said that it was negotiable (wouldn't pay more than $500, although it looks to be beat to hell and I'm not sure I want to deal with all that might entail).

The guy with the Honda Silverwing is selling it to buy a Harley. I'm thinking (maybe hoping) that he DOES know his stuff and has been taking good care of it, 'cause the Honda just seems like the right bike.

I can't WAIT until Saturday! I've got to bring Evan along to keep me rational!

Back