The Vermont Travel Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time does breakfast usually start at Stagecoach? I'm staying there for a night in a month and have to be up and out pretty early.
I want to say 6? I'm fairly certain it ends at 9 though as I've come close to missing it with my internal clock still set to west coast time.

I want to say 6? I'm fairly certain it ends at 9 though as I've come close to missing it with my internal clock still set to west coast time.
giphy.gif

Sweet. Thanks for the info.

Got my plans almost all laid out....

MTL --> Foam (stuff to go, hopefully HoF), to ZG for pizza lunch and maybe Patagonia for the wife, Switchback (to go), BBCO (to go), and of course dat Alchemist since I've never been. By then it should be getting towards dinner which will likely be ProPig and then I'll make the circuit at Res and BB to determine ONCE and FOR ALL the best spot in Waterbury. ;)

Of course if goddang HF drop cans to go I'm going to toss this plan and get up there for that.

giphy.gif

MTL --> Foam (stuff to go, hopefully HoF), to ZG for pizza lunch and maybe Patagonia for the wife, Switchback (to go), BBCO (to go), and of course dat Alchemist since I've never been. By then it should be getting towards dinner which will likely be ProPig and then I'll make the circuit at Res and BB to determine ONCE and FOR ALL the best spot in Waterbury. ;)

Of course if goddang HF drop cans to go I'm going to toss this plan and get up there for that.
7:30-9 Mon-Fri 7:30-11 Sat & Sun Stagecoach breakfast hours. Dem Huevos;)
F2wQWiD.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings....I'll be up in VT this September with ol bird22 during the time of zwanze day. Hope to meet/re-connect with some of you out there! Is it usually held at Hill Farmstead? Do any of you ever go to Montreal for it?
Yeah doesn't look like zwanze is happening at HF this year either. Trillium/armsby/some place im not familiar with in western MA are hosting

So I've never actually spent anytime in Burlington (been to Beverage Warehouse and the airport) in the handful of times I've been to Vermont. Getting into town Wednesday early evening and planning on going straight from the airport to Foam, then over to Farmhouse for dinner (west coast time) then perhaps a few beers at Manhattan Pizza? Planning on waking up and hitting up Penny Cluse for breakfast before heading up to the NEK. Any options listed that I should consider replacing or absolute items I should add on in my short time there?

giphy.gif

So I've never actually spent anytime in Burlington (been to Beverage Warehouse and the airport) in the handful of times I've been to Vermont. Getting into town Wednesday early evening and planning on going straight from the airport to Foam, then over to Farmhouse for dinner (west coast time) then perhaps a few beers at Manhattan Pizza? Planning on waking up and hitting up Penny Cluse for breakfast before heading up to the NEK. Any options listed that I should consider replacing or absolute items I should add on in my short time there?

Oyster hour 10-11pm at Hen of the Wood would work as well. I'm pretty sure it's every day, but I'd confirm before making that your plan. They have a small, but well-curated draft list as well as banging wine and cocktails.

Oyster hour 10-11pm at Hen of the Wood would work as well. I'm pretty sure it's every day, but I'd confirm before making that your plan. They have a small, but well-curated draft list as well as banging wine and cocktails.
Both HoWs have this feature?

I love Penny Cluse - may have to go back there again for breakfast this week...unless somebody has a better option in Burlington / Waterbury (not including huevos ranchos at stagecoach since that is already happening at least one morning).

giphy.gif

Just so you know, pizza will be at American Flatbread (and it'll be all zero gravity stuff on tap, more options than at the brewery). The brewery is desperate but does have limited food and next door is a great new resto called The Great Northern. If you have time, I'd honestly stop at both. Flatbread is my favorite pizza in VT, the brewery is a cool spot and has a lot of merch plus cans of beer to go, and Great Northern has excellent food.

Just so you know, pizza will be at American Flatbread (and it'll be all zero gravity stuff on tap, more options than at the brewery). The brewery is desperate but does have limited food and next door is a great new resto called The Great Northern. If you have time, I'd honestly stop at both. Flatbread is my favorite pizza in VT, the brewery is a cool spot and has a lot of merch plus cans of beer to go, and Great Northern has excellent food.

+1 to all of that you said

I love Penny Cluse - may have to go back there again for breakfast this week...unless somebody has a better option in Burlington / Waterbury (not including huevos ranchos at stagecoach since that is already happening at least one morning).

Penny Cluse is easily my favorite. natejohnson or supremepie may have other ideas for you. Monarch & The Milkweed is cool too if you want more modern/inspired stuff, but Penny Cluse is just classic. I think The Great Northern does some breakfast stuff too but I'm really not sure.

Stick with your gut, its hard to beat Penny Cluse when it comes to breakfast. Frank is correct in stating that Monarch and the Milkweed is the second best option, third arguably being Henrys Diner. If you have any other questions/suggestion inquiries, feel free to pm

Bucket of Spuds @ Penny Cluse was a real breakfast game-changer for me. I also really love the herb gravy they use for their biscuits and gravy (vegetarian option).

My favorite weekend get away is Hill Farmstead > Hotel VT > Penny Cluse in the AM. Lots of other eating/drinking in between but those are the constants.

Any recommendations for somewhere for a quick pint somewhere in the Manchester area?

Stick with your gut, its hard to beat Penny Cluse when it comes to breakfast. Frank is correct in stating that Monarch and the Milkweed is the second best option, third arguably being Henrys Diner. If you have any other questions/suggestion inquiries, feel free to pm
Did Penny Cluse this AM based on recommendations from you guys.

iu9NwX.gif

Heading up to VT for my anniversary (mid October). Switching it up and planning on staying in Burlington (Hilton) this time around. Should be in Burlington by 9ish on the Friday night. Any recommendations for a late dinner downtown by our hotel? Saturday will involve a trip to Hill at open, some foliage peeping, and then dinner at Hen Burlington. Recommendations for good spots to check out the leaves? Lunch recommendations? I'm all ears.

Heading up to VT for my anniversary (mid October). Switching it up and planning on staying in Burlington (Hilton) this time around. Should be in Burlington by 9ish on the Friday night. Any recommendations for a late dinner downtown by our hotel? Saturday will involve a trip to Hill at open, some foliage peeping, and then dinner at Hen Burlington. Recommendations for good spots to check out the leaves? Lunch recommendations? I'm all ears.
Almost all kitchens close at 9:30-10 so unless you want a greasy breakfast sammich or just ok hipster versions of street food, you'll need to move pretty quickly when you get in. Hen of the Wood Burlington is right around the corner from one of the Hilton's, and Trattoria Delia is across the street from the other. Monarch & the Milkweed might have some decent late night bites too. Make sure you make it to Misery Loves co over in Winooski for atleast one meal, whether it be dinner or sunday brunch. Frankly, I'd b-line it to HOTW Burly when you get in and have MLC for dinner Saturday night. As far as lunch and breakfast are concerned, Four Corners of the Earth for world shattering sandwiches, and Penny Cluse for breakfast. Arts Riot is great too, as is Dedalus wine.

Trapp brewery has some good food and a nice view. Mid-Oct will likely be post foliage peak, but it still should have some killer views.

Almost all kitchens close at 9:30-10 so unless you want a greasy breakfast sammich or just ok hipster versions of street food, you'll need to move pretty quickly when you get in. Hen of the Wood Burlington is right around the corner from one of the Hilton's, and Trattoria Delia is across the street from the other. Monarch & the Milkweed might have some decent late night bites too. Make sure you make it to Misery Loves co over in Winooski for atleast one meal, whether it be dinner or sunday brunch. Frankly, I'd b-line it to HOTW Burly when you get in and have MLC for dinner Saturday night. As far as lunch and breakfast are concerned, Four Corners of the Earth for world shattering sandwiches, and Penny Cluse for breakfast. Arts Riot is great too, as is Dedalus wine.

Trapp brewery has some good food and a nice view. Mid-Oct will likely be post foliage peak, but it still should have some killer views.

Thanks guys! Will try to get up there a little earlier on the Friday if I can swing it otherwise we'll just grab dinner on the way coming up via 22A

Thanks guys! Will try to get up there a little earlier on the Friday if I can swing it otherwise we'll just grab dinner on the way coming up via 22A

Right on 22A, there's a barbecue truck that's really good, it's called Willie's BBQ. Couldnt tell you the hours, but we always stop for ribs if they're serving when we head to Saratoga.

Right on 22A, there's a barbecue truck that's really good, it's called Willie's BBQ. Couldnt tell you the hours, but we always stop for ribs if they're serving when we head to Saratoga.

Always wondered about that place, thanks! Have you also been to the competing taco truck?

Hi Guys, I have a US trip coming up including a few days in Waterbury from 18-22 Sept, we'll be driving up from NYC and plan to take a detour to Suarez and possibly visit Hermit Thrush on the way up, and HF is obviously on the list but what else should I look out for on the wild ale & saison front in VT? Is Backacre worth tracking down? Cheers

Hi Guys, I have a US trip coming up including a few days in Waterbury from 18-22 Sept, we'll be driving up from NYC and plan to take a detour to Suarez and possibly visit Hermit Thrush on the way up, and HF is obviously on the list but what else should I look out for on the wild ale & saison front in VT? Is Backacre worth tracking down? Cheers

If you're looking to take Backacre home with you it might be better to try and set up a trade prior to your arrival because releases are sporadic. If you're just looking to try it check Hen of the Wood or 3 Penny.

If you're looking to take Backacre home with you it might be better to try and set up a trade prior to your arrival because releases are sporadic. If you're just looking to try it check Hen of the Wood or 3 Penny.

Cheers, just looking to try it really, planning on going to Hen of the Wood at some point, hopefully they'll have it!

is burlington beer co worth a stop? Planning on stopping at Foam for sure, but not sure if its worth a slight detour to BBC one of the 2 days im up there

is burlington beer co worth a stop? Planning on stopping at Foam for sure, but not sure if its worth a slight detour to BBC one of the 2 days im up there

IMHO, the beers are fine, but the space is really great. It's a nice change of pace from some of the other super-packed breweries that you'll probably visit. They also have lots of board games that you can play, which I always enjoy.

Have fun! If you go to HF on the 21st give a shout, I'll be around to split a bottle or two.

Cheers for the offer, no idea what day we'll be there but if it's the 21st I'll give you a shout!
Is there anything else I should look for while I'm in the area with regards to wild ales/sours & saisons?

IMHO, the beers are fine, but the space is really great. It's a nice change of pace from some of the other super-packed breweries that you'll probably visit. They also have lots of board games that you can play, which I always enjoy.

Pretty much this. It's a fun spot to check out with decent-to-solid beers in a relaxed space. Worth the stop or not depends on your objectives but I stop in once every couple weeks

Pretty much this. It's a fun spot to check out with decent-to-solid beers in a relaxed space. Worth the stop or not depends on your objectives but I stop in once every couple weeks
Sounds right up my alley and it will give me something different to do up there, always enjoy the spots that have board games too and new beers wont be too bad.

My wife is a baker and buys a fair bit of her supplies at AC Moore which is just down the road from BBCo. Makes the perfect detour if someone you're travelling with is doing some big box store shopping in that area.

My wife and I are coming out for our anniversary and planned on HF either 21st or 22nd - if you're still planning on the 21st I'd love to share bottles.

I'm waiting around for a friend who wants to come with, so I won't be there until the 22nd now. If the timing works out definitely let me know.

Anybody care to share thoughts/experiences on Killington Beer Fest? What can I expect? I'm going to meet a friend and have no expectations.

Back