The Vermont Travel Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went into Hunger Mountain Coop yesterday and they seem to be going in a different direction with their beer selection. As in, let's just forget about selling beer. They moved their entire wine section into their beer section and the shelf beers are now gone. The cooler still has local cans, but that's about it. I was really blown away. I understand businesses having the right to do whatever they want to do, but their beer selection was always a strong draw to get the beer crowd into the store and inevitably purchase other items...So for those of you who make HMC a normal stop to grab beers, probably worth finding another spot.

Good thing I didn't stop there today. Sucks as I loved their selection, oh well still have the Mad Taco

The Saint jay health food store on main street (just beyond the Dunkin Donuts) has some ok beers. They had Conehead, Rock Art beers, Lost Nation and some other stuff there this week

Good thing I didn't stop there today. Sucks as I loved their selection, oh well still have the Mad Taco

The Saint jay health food store on main street (just beyond the Dunkin Donuts) has some ok beers. They had Conehead, Rock Art beers, Lost Nation and some other stuff there this week

A far cry from the Tomes and Deciduous I used to find at Hunger Mtn :(

Brewery has been out the last couple times I have been up.

Was just there last Saturday.

Anyone heading to the VT brewers fest Saturday? If so, hit me up for a high five or beer at the fest!

The Vermont cheese and wine shop in Burlington has a really solid beer stock and a huge selection of wine. Even saw some Fantome and lots of Lost nation, Foley brothers, Zero Gravity, etc etc

natejohnson anything on at the brewery that you're really digging right now? Planning on stopping in Wednesday/Thursday next week.

Currently digging on:
POG: kettle sour with passion fruit, orange, and guava
Daly Palmer: cream ale with lemon zest and cold steeped black tea
I took a Pils in Ibiza: pilsner with Saaz and Australian Summer hops.
Little Fluffy Clouds: a personal favorite, oat pale ale with Simcoe, Amarillo, and Nelson
If you stop by during the day, just ask for me at the bar. I'll be in both days

Currently digging on:
POG: kettle sour with passion fruit, orange, and guava
Daly Palmer: cream ale with lemon zest and cold steeped black tea
I took a Pils in Ibiza: pilsner with Saaz and Australian Summer hops.
Little Fluffy Clouds: a personal favorite, oat pale ale with Simcoe, Amarillo, and Nelson
If you stop by during the day, just ask for me at the bar. I'll be in both days

I picked up a bunch of Bantam last time I passed through, that beer is great. I’ll make sure to say hello next time!

best breakfast spot in waterbury? gonna be there friday before FOFA and wanted to see whats best in the area

best breakfast spot in waterbury? gonna be there friday before FOFA and wanted to see whats best in the area

Heuvos Rancheros at old stagecoach inn (you can have breakfast there even if you are not a guest) or breakfast sandwich at Hender's (Homemade Challah Bun, 2 Fried Eggs, Cabot Cheddar plus choice of Thick Sliced Bacon / Black Forest Ham / Sausage Patty / Tomato & Arugula)

Looking to hit 3 watering holes similar to Warren Falls on Sunday. Anyone ever do this in one day? I have found this https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/vermont/swimming-holes-vt-2/.

With that said, I haven’t actually yet looked at how close any are in proximity to each other. If I have to I will but the locals and travelers always know more than the internet.

Looking to hit 3 watering holes similar to Warren Falls on Sunday. Anyone ever do this in one day? I have found this https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/vermont/swimming-holes-vt-2/.

With that said, I haven’t actually yet looked at how close any are in proximity to each other. If I have to I will but the locals and travelers always know more than the internet.

If I absolutely had to go to three of those in one day I would do Bingham, Warren, Buttermilk because they’re all in order and basically right on Rt. 100. Again, that’s just the direction I travel most often. I could actually add a fourth stop with Journey’s End in Johnson. It’s not on that list, but it’s a very cool spot.

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail in here yet.

https://www.lvrt.org/

It’s the trail that runs right past Lost Nation but I think you can hop on it a bunch of places from St. Johnsbury to Jeffersonville. Because it’s rail trail it has a very gentle grade and it runs through some really nice scenery.

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail in here yet.

https://www.lvrt.org/

It’s the trail that runs right past Lost Nation but I think you can hop on it a bunch of places from St. Johnsbury to Jeffersonville. Because it’s rail trail it has a very gentle grade and it runs through some really nice scenery.

Really nice trail. Stayed at an AirBnB right off of it and was able to bike down to Lost Nation...loved it.

If I absolutely had to go to three of those in one day I would do Bingham, Warren, Buttermilk because they’re all in order and basically right on Rt. 100. Again, that’s just the direction I travel most often. I could actually add a fourth stop with Journey’s End in Johnson. It’s not on that list, but it’s a very cool spot.

Thanks GreenMtnMike. Just the information I was looking for. Cheers!

Just spent a couple hours at Blackback Pub, fantastic drinking experience. Got into town late, staying at an Airbnb that’s about a 5 minute walk away and was shocked to realize how close all of Waterbury places are together. Ready to walkabout tomorrow for dinner and try all the food and beer recs here.

Just spent a couple hours at Blackback Pub, fantastic drinking experience. Got into town late, staying at an Airbnb that’s about a 5 minute walk away and was shocked to realize how close all of Waterbury places are together. Ready to walkabout tomorrow for dinner and try all the food and beer recs here.
Don’t sleep on the Snack Shacks along the hwy, between beer destinations. Jay and I downed some pretty gnarly sundaes there.

Don’t sleep on the Snack Shacks along the hwy, between beer destinations. Jay and I downed some pretty gnarly sundaes there.
You’re making me regret the place with 24 flavors of soft serve we skipped going back to our air bnb from Waterbury. We filled up on Ben and Jerry’s instead.

Goddammit I had no internet to check this in between adventures today. Are they also on the way to Burlington? Headed out there tomorrow night, but might also hit up Stowe tomorrow for another hike + Doc Ponds. Getting irresponsibly inebriated tonight in Waterbury, that Hill Farmstead “2 glass per person rule” doesn’t quite do it for me.

Goddammit I had no internet to check this in between adventures today. Are they also on the way to Burlington? Headed out there tomorrow night, but might also hit up Stowe tomorrow for another hike + Doc Ponds. Getting irresponsibly inebriated tonight in Waterbury, that Hill Farmstead “2 glass per person rule” doesn’t quite do it for me.
Haha, yeah dude I wanna say there is def one on the way to Burlington from Waterbury, but there is also one between HF and Stowe. Hope you have a beautiful time on the rest of your trip and I’ll see ya soon my friend!

Hey I know there's a list on this thread of places to hike but wondering if anyone can give me insight on what would be a good easier going hike w/ good scenery near Stowe, Greensboro, areas. Something that won't take more than 2 1/2 hrs there and back? Thanks.

Hey I know there's a list on this thread of places to hike but wondering if anyone can give me insight on what would be a good easier going hike w/ good scenery near Stowe, Greensboro, areas. Something that won't take more than 2 1/2 hrs there and back? Thanks.

Stowe Pinnacle is about that. There's a shortcut that cuts about 45mins.

Halfway up mt pisgah for the cliff view, then swim in the lake at one of the beaches

Might be doing this soon. Are there two routes up? I want to make sure I do the right one. Thanks.

Also the sterling pond trail near stowe with the little add on up to the top of the ski lift is a decent short hike. There are some steep sections though.

Hey All, going to be visiting Vermont in a few weeks and was hoping to get some feedback on a daytrip I'm thinking about. Staying near Windsor VT but thinking about trying to drive up and hit Hill Farmstead, then down to Stowe to do some hiking and hit Alchemist and maybe Von Trapp and then lastly heading into Waterbury for dinner and drinks (Would love suggestions, seems like theres a few good places in town).

That seem feasible? Any places I'm missing out on?

Thanks!

Hey All, going to be visiting Vermont in a few weeks and was hoping to get some feedback on a daytrip I'm thinking about. Staying near Windsor VT but thinking about trying to drive up and hit Hill Farmstead, then down to Stowe to do some hiking and hit Alchemist and maybe Von Trapp and then lastly heading into Waterbury for dinner and drinks (Would love suggestions, seems like theres a few good places in town).

That seem feasible? Any places I'm missing out on?

Thanks!

RE dinner in Waterbury, Hen of the Wood for dinner if you can get a rezzy. Wife and I cap every trip with dinner there and it's always amazing.

If you're looking for something more laid back, Blackback and Pro Pig are the staples in Waterbury. There's a cool pizza place too that's name is currently escaping me.

But HF + hiking + Alchem and VonTrapp and dinner all in one day is a pretty full day. Just Windsor to HF to Alchem is nearly 3 hours of driving.

I don’t think it’s really unreasonable. I would get an early start and take 89>12 and do the Elmore hike mentioned above. Then HF and back to Stowe, Alchemist is open until 7 so you would have plenty of time and if you’re running behind you can do worse than eating at Trapp. Have fun!

Elmore Mountain outside Morrisville if you have a bit more time.

Elmore hike is great. There is a small entrance fee since it is a state park. Definitely recommend chilling at the lake for a bit. Note there are two ways up (and down). There is a steeper faster route that was fairly challenging, and then there is a flatter longer route through the woods. I did the steep route up and flat route down. I would not recommend doing the steep route down. I think it took me 3.5 hours with about half an hour at the top.

360 degree views at the top of the fire tower. Worth the climb up.

I don’t think it’s really unreasonable. I would get an early start and take 89>12 and do the Elmore hike mentioned above. Then HF and back to Stowe, Alchemist is open until 7 so you would have plenty of time and if you’re running behind you can do worse than eating at Trapp. Have fun!

kbergen28 to me that sounds pretty ambitious unless you're the type that likes to wake up at 530am on a vacation to 'get the most of your day'. Putting the hike before HF is a good call, and if you don't care about on site bottles or growler fills you can make the Hill stop pretty in and out if you're trying to get a lot accomplished. I'd want a more relaxed day myself.

Thanks for the advice guys...I figured it was a bit ambitious but also thought it be better to try and hit it all in one day rather than multiple due to the distance from where I'll be staying.

Don't do Von Trapp, I stopped there for the first time this summer as I wanted to do every single brewery in VT and was disappointed. Gift shop with more people buying sweathers/tees then the actual beer and the restaurant/pub did not look inviting at all. I do have to admit that I've only tried one of their beers many moons ago but there are so many breweries that are way more fun to visit while in VT

Back