The Vermont Travel Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone check out Zen Barn? A lot of people are saying good things. idk, was it a secret? I just started to hear about them a few months ago.

Anyone check out Zen Barn? A lot of people are saying good things. idk, was it a secret? I just started to hear about them a few months ago.

Went for the first time this week. Didn't drink much but the draft list was good. Definitely not a beer destination spot but you have some options. Had a fresh can of burlington beer company that was fresh and tasty. We only got a burger but it was solid. Seems like a good addition to the scene here

Pro Aztlan tip: If you're heading South from Hill, Alchemist or wherever call them from the Cold Hollow parking lot and your food will be ready when you walk in the door.

All this talk of Aztlans texmex and no love for the new Cuban joint in Hardwick!?!? Yall are sleepin!

Also, KI haven't seen any mention of it yet, so I'm going to go ahead and insist that any and all f you check out the new Dedalus Wine in Burlington.. Solid small plates, crazy wine selection for on site and to go, and an amazing lil gourmet grocery complete with ridiculous cheese and charcuterie cases! And its about a block from the best sammiches in VT! (4 corners of the earth)

All this talk of Aztlans texmex and no love for the new Cuban joint in Hardwick!?!? Yall are sleepin!

Also, KI haven't seen any mention of it yet, so I'm going to go ahead and insist that any and all f you check out the new Dedalus Wine in Burlington.. Solid small plates, crazy wine selection for on site and to go, and an amazing lil gourmet grocery complete with ridiculous cheese and charcuterie cases! And its about a block from the best sammiches in VT! (4 corners of the earth)

Went to dedalus last night for the first time; food was excellent, the caramelized onion tart and beef tartare were dynamite.

Havana 802! Haven't got a chance to sit down and eat there yet but grabbed some Empanadas for the drive up to Hill last month. Delicious. Hope more out of towners give them a chance, would love to see that space stay occupied for a good bit for once.

If anyone's spending a bit of time in Richmond give Hatchet a try. Had 4 Hills on tap and 5 dollar Heady cans last time I was there. Their chef is formerly of Winooski's Mule Bar as well.

What breweries in/close to Burlington do you all ninjas recommend? Other than Foam, which I will definitely be checking out.

What breweries in/close to Burlington do you all ninjas recommend? Other than Foam, which I will definitely be checking out.
4 Quarters- In Winooski (Weird hours)
Burlington Beer Co- In Williston (Great food too)
Citizen Cider
Zero Gravity maybe

Manhattan Pizza and Farmhouse for taplists. I guess that new fake Barcade too.

4 Quarters- In Winooski (Weird hours)
Burlington Beer Co- In Williston (Great food too)
Citizen Cider
Zero Gravity maybe

Manhattan Pizza and Farmhouse for taplists. I guess that new fake Barcade too.

Cool, thanks. I was gonna ask if BBC was worth a visit.

Citizen Cider

Arts Riot food truck

giphy.gif

I made it over to Vergennes this past weekend. Not sure I've ever been there but they have a bunch of nice places to hit up if you are bored of the regular Burlington/Stowe/Waterbury cycle. Vergennes Laundry, Shacksbury tasting room, Hired Hand brewing, Bar Antidote. Anyone else know some other places to try?

I made it over to Vergennes this past weekend. Not sure I've ever been there but they have a bunch of nice places to hit up if you are bored of the regular Burlington/Stowe/Waterbury cycle. Vergennes Laundry, Shacksbury tasting room, Hired Hand brewing, Bar Antidote. Anyone else know some other places to try?

Vergennes Laundry is unreal for pastry. Thanks for reminding me.

Yeah. The hours suck. With my work schedule I'd have to take a day off to go there. Probably worth it.
Looks like they'll be starting up dinner service on June 3, Thurs-Sun 4-9

Almost slept on the chocolate sablés when I went. Damn they were incredible

Looks like they'll be starting up dinner service on June 3, Thurs-Sun 4-9

Almost slept on the chocolate sablés when I went. Damn they were incredible

My work schedule: thurs - mon

I mean, I could get up early on a Friday or Saturday to drive there, but it's a lot easier to just go to bohemian bakery in montpelier which also has fantastic pastry. But the coffee there isn't as good

No problem, the following is my favorite way to do a day at Jay:

Have my wife drop my son and I off here. It is on 242 about a mile after the ski area entrance.

IMG_20691_zpspqyeeclx.jpg

The hike is short, but steep and a little technical near the top. My son is 9 and can handle it, for the distance the payoff is pretty great:

IMG_20711_zpskbocdad6.jpg

Once we're at the top we hang out for a bit. Sometimes if the tram is running we will take it down to the waterpark, but normally we just walk down one of the ski trails and meet up with the rest of the family. Then I drink Long Trail Limbo by the pool and go on waterslides.

IMG_20731_zpswd9obl9i.jpg
What is this place called you're staying ???

Planning on being in Vermont September 20-21 ish may 19-21... read through the entire thread seems like in Waterbury the place to stay is the old stagecoach inn???

What about for something closure to hillfarmstead ??? Planning on spending a whole day in the Waterbury area and a whole day at hill farmstead probably Wednesday Thursday.

Thanks!

Planning on being in Vermont September 20-21 ish may 19-21... read through the entire thread seems like in Waterbury the place to stay is the old stagecoach inn???

What about for something closure to hillfarmstead ??? Planning on spending a whole day in the Waterbury area and a whole day at hill farmstead probably Wednesday Thursday.

Thanks!
Air bnb if going to HF

Thanks!

even if you have a few bottles onsite at HF you really don't stay up in that area for full days... Maybe a day in Burlington or Montpelier.

even if you have a few bottles onsite at HF you really don't stay up in that area for full days... Maybe a day in Burlington or Montpelier.
That's true, I guess maybe was thinking of hanging out there for a few hours or whatever and either going to do other stuff or just go back to wherever we were staying and chilling. What's your recommendation?? I'm def all ears.

Full day and night in Waterbury is cool??

End destination will be Lake george New York just a FYI , so a Waterbury day, drive to HF next day hang there for a bit and drive to Montpelier would work....

yeah a
End destination will be Lake george New York just a FYI , so a Waterbury day, drive to HF next day hang there for a bit and drive to Montpelier would work....
stop at Three Penny is always good in Montpelier. Also hitting Lost nation on the way up to Hill would be cool. Maybe hit Burlington on your way to Lake George?

What is this place called you're staying ???

The pool and waterpark are at the Jay Peak Resort, it also has a pretty terrific golf course and indoor hockey rink. I stay at my place by Lake Eden which is between Jay and HF. I don't have any trouble spending full days up there, but I'm probably biased.

If I only had a couple of days and it worked out I would head straight to HF, then spend the night in Waterbury, head to Burlington the next day, stay in Burlington that night and then on to Lake George. You could hit Fiddlehead and lunch at Folino's, take 22A to 74 and drop down on Lake George on 9N from the north end, that's a beautiful drive.

The pool and waterpark are at the Jay Peak Resort, it also has a pretty terrific golf course and indoor hockey rink. I stay at my place by Lake Eden which is between Jay and HF. I don't have any trouble spending full days up there, but I'm probably biased.

If I only had a couple of days and it worked out I would head straight to HF, then spend the night in Waterbury, head to Burlington the next day, stay in Burlington that night and then on to Lake George. You could hit Fiddlehead and lunch at Folino's, take 22A to 74 and drop down on Lake George on 9N from the north end, that's a beautiful drive.
Holy hell, that sounds fairly epic!!!

agree, it's the way I come up all the time unless Im going straight to HF

Thanks!
Staying near HF is definitely do-able. HF lists a bunch of places nearby: http://hillfarmstead.com/lodging/
The Kimball House is great. AirBnB usually has places around Caspian lake available. Parker Pie is the place to go for food/drink.

I'd only stay there if you are fine with not having lots of bar/restaurant options nearby like you would between Montpelier and Burlington.

Staying near HF is definitely do-able. HF lists a bunch of places nearby: http://hillfarmstead.com/lodging/
The Kimball House is great. AirBnB usually has places around Caspian lake available. Parker Pie is the place to go for food/drink.

I'd only stay there if you are fine with not having lots of bar/restaurant options nearby like you would between Montpelier and Burlington.
As long as there was some type of food near HF, I'd be fine staying in that area for the night....

There's a couple AirBnB fairly close to Parker Pie in Glover and Positive Pie in Hardwick. They'd be worth considering I'd imagine.

Even tighter schedule than Jb123 ... got one day/evening heading down from Montreal after lunch. Have to be in St.Cesaire next morning.
This is happening Aug 23 or 24.

Thinking HF before close (4ish), down to Waterbury and stay at Stsgecoach and do ProPig/Blackback/Resevoir for food and beer.
Or, straight over to Burlington for Foam and other spots?
Not bringing much home. Looking for best tap options and maybe a couple cans for next night in Montreal.

Even tighter schedule than Jb123 ... got one day/evening heading down from Montreal after lunch. Have to be in St.Cesaire next morning.
This is happening Aug 23 or 24.

Thinking HF before close (4ish), down to Waterbury and stay at Stsgecoach and do ProPig/Blackback/Resevoir for food and beer.
Or, straight over to Burlington for Foam and other spots?
Not bringing much home. Looking for best tap options and maybe a couple cans for next night in Montreal.

If nice weather, Burlington.

Back