The Vermont Travel Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh, I disagree. Not the strongest beer you'll find but it's still good and the spot is very nice.

Alchemist really isnt some great visit. It's a nice facility but you cant do anything there but pick up and go. And that's no knock, just is what it is.

Don't do Von Trapp, I stopped there for the first time this summer as I wanted to do every single brewery in VT and was disappointed. Gift shop with more people buying sweathers/tees then the actual beer and the restaurant/pub did not look inviting at all. I do have to admit that I've only tried one of their beers many moons ago but there are so many breweries that are way more fun to visit while in VT

completely disagree. It's a beautiful location, nice brewery, and clean lagers.

Don't do Von Trapp, I stopped there for the first time this summer as I wanted to do every single brewery in VT and was disappointed. Gift shop with more people buying sweathers/tees then the actual beer and the restaurant/pub did not look inviting at all. I do have to admit that I've only tried one of their beers many moons ago but there are so many breweries that are way more fun to visit while in VT

completely disagree. It's a beautiful location, nice brewery, and clean lagers.

Also completely disagree with NOT hitting Von Trapp
My first visit was excellent. Staff/bartender was fantastic. Beer and food was great. Absolutely planning a visit again next time I get up there. Mrs. Von Trapp was also in the house and said hello etc.

Have to say I disagree. The bierhall has food and the beers are solid unless you're only looking for double IPAs. The views high up on the patio of the lodge w/ a Vienna lager or Pils is unique compared to other breweries. The lodge itself is a tourist area for sure but shouldn't take away from the views and beer. Alchemist is a tourist spot now and not much to do when you're there but get tastes and cans to go.

Btw I appreciate the tips on hiking areas. I will likely do some of those next time, time was a bit of our problem in being able to do longer hikes and Hill Farmstead was too crazy Saturday so we just went up to Bar Hill to hike as some recommended locally. It was a great easy hike and nice being the only ones there. Other than the drive up to the parking area which was steep and bumpy as hell. Wouldn't want to get a flat up there. The weather was so great and we had nice views of the big mountains and Caspian lake from above.

Had HOTW for the 3rd time in Waterbury a couple weeks ago...dropped 240 between 3 of us and weren't stuffed.
Not worth it. Paid $78 for a ribeye (rec was to be split between 2) that I could have gotten at the sizzler.
A $32 piece of halibut the size of a pair of dice with meh flavor. Maybe had a heady or two on tap and one other cocktail at the table. I'm done wid em. Can't win wid em. Sad when the best thing on the table was the purple taters that came with the steak.

Will just stick to blackback and stagecoach going forward. Maybe pro pig...

My reasonably priced hangar steak and gf's pork loin were pretty great last time. Those, a piece of cheese or two, and a carafe of wine didn't break the bank. Maybe things are changing there?

Last I went was summer 2017. Two people; multiple appetizers, cheese selections, drinks, entrees and dessert clocked at about 150 total after tip. One of the best meals I've ever had and super affordable for the level of dining.

ate there in September, food was great as always. Price was certainly reasonable for the food we had

Another endorsement for HotW. We love it, can't wait to eat there again in a couple of weeks.

My reasonably priced hangar steak and gf's pork loin were pretty great last time. Those, a piece of cheese or two, and a carafe of wine didn't break the bank. Maybe things are changing there?

Yeah, I don't think that's it.

For reference...the food was on par with the ~$200 I had spend the prior two visits.
Not number 3.
Last time I dropped this much coin was earlier this year at State Bird Provisions in SF...similar sized plates...not even close in terms of quality though.

Had HOTW for the 3rd time in Waterbury a couple weeks ago...dropped 240 between 3 of us and weren't stuffed.
Not worth it. Paid $78 for a ribeye (rec was to be split between 2) that I could have gotten at the sizzler.
A $32 piece of halibut the size of a pair of dice with meh flavor. Maybe had a heady or two on tap and one other cocktail at the table. I'm done wid em. Can't win wid em. Sad when the best thing on the table was the purple taters that came with the steak.
Will just stick to blackback and stagecoach going forward. Maybe pro pig...

So take out the Ribeye special and its a "normal" HOTW dinner. Steak specials (anywhere) are wallet busters. "Dry Aged" "Waygu" "Johnson's Grass fed" - whatever buzzwords you want to add - just validates the establishment reasoning to offer a $40/$50/$80 steak dish. There is no money to be made in steaks and more than likely anyone of us can prepare a well cared for steak at home and feel okay about spending $20+ just on the one steak itself. Right? Go to the farmers market, pick up a local ribeye ($20), bunch of veggies($15) and you're not even in the door to prepare it yet. Expensive. And you only have yourself to blame if you prepare it w/o respect and it comes out sub-par...

Point is, it's real tough to get 'value' out of a steak meal at any restaurant. And once you don't feel like you're getting your $$'s worth, the rest of the evening goes downhill real quick...Sorry your experience there wasn't that great. Next time get the Mushroom toast and a Backacre. Guarantee you'll have a much better time.

I feel that I know how to order and cook a steak...I eat it at least bi-weekly (at home 99% of the time-don't get me started on the overrated-ness of sous-vide steaks).
The other person with us doesn't eat seafood...so the menu became limited. We normally wouldn't have ordered this, but it became almost impossible not too.
Nothing was spectacular flavor-wise. Very mild. Not terrible, but not worth the price of admission.
And we had pre-hyped this meal as the highlight of the trip that went through Portland and Boston.

I count my previous visit here as one of the best meals of my life...we had a seat next to the waterfall in perfect weather.

Put me in the HotW is overrated group. But I think the American farm-to-table concept is usually pretty boring anyways.

So i'll be going to Montreal next summer for a wedding and wanted to go through Vermont to grab some hill farmstead etc since i'll be in the general area. Has anyone brought beer from the US into Canada and back? Time would really only allow for a trip before going into Canada so i wasn't sure if i was getting into more than i bargained for with doing it that way.

So i'll be going to Montreal next summer for a wedding and wanted to go through Vermont to grab some hill farmstead etc since i'll be in the general area. Has anyone brought beer from the US into Canada and back? Time would really only allow for a trip before going into Canada so i wasn't sure if i was getting into more than i bargained for with doing it that way.

Marc

You'll run into some volume limits if you get searched. I'm sure it's googleable...

Did the Vermont to Montreal trip last April and had no problems. Had way more beer than the limits so I declared nothing, just had a bunch of luggage and snowboards over the beer boxes so you could not tell really. Two adorable kids in the back seat helped as well I am assuming.

Thanks - i didn't really place on going over the limits but who knows. $10 shelfies get the best of me every time

US citizens don't get taxed on US goods by the Canadian government so unlike us Canadian citizens adopting the Zero Fuxxx attitude is alright. I would suggest you declare juat to avoid yourself a nasty surprise unless you have kids in tow... Then you're golden. But just say you have a couple cases for personal consumption and to share with friends... The wedding is excuse is even better. Rule of thumb is typically case per person but like I said they don't care cause they can't tax you.

Getting back will be subject to your own laws but if you have receipts from HF you're golden

Back