The Vermont Travel Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno, Could (Should?) be fun? Would help if they had a list of breweries attending.

Worst case scenario the foliage should be good.

Anybody know of a place near Jay peak that has decent beer too get us through one night? Coming into VT via Montreal with kids and don't want to go too far out of the way for beer on Friday... Doing that Saturday

Anybody know of a place near Jay peak that has decent beer too get us through one night? Coming into VT via Montreal with kids and don't want to go too far out of the way for beer on Friday... Doing that Saturday

The Jay Market just down the hill has a really solid selection. You can usually find Tribute and related beers, Foley Bros., I've gotten Second Fiddle there before, etc.

EDIT: The Jay Mercantile right on property isn't the worst selection in the world, either. You'll probably want to at least check there.

So didn't see this in time but did check out the Jay general store and it did have some decent selections plus 2 beers on tap.

Have to recommend Boutin's Mini Market about 5 miles outside of the resort though for anyone coming here. Solid pizza to go (call ahead for your order to be ready), homemade pickled eggs, and a larger beer selection with one growler fill plus it's 2-3 bucks cheaper a 4-pack!

Have to recommend Boutin's Mini Market about 5 miles outside of the resort though for anyone coming here. Solid pizza to go (call ahead for your order to be ready), homemade pickled eggs, and a larger beer selection with one growler fill plus it's 2-3 bucks cheaper a 4-pack!

Good to know, not surprised about Boutin’s being quality. Their restaurant, Cajun’s, in Lowell is really good. If you’re passing back through Troy check out Brault’s if they’re open. Their beef jerky is great.

Do the breweries get a bit more crowded the last week of december? I imagine a lot of travelers/out of town family is in vermont and it gets a little busier. Might do a little 3 day excursion to VT next week. Trying to figure out what to expect.

Do the breweries get a bit more crowded the last week of december? I imagine a lot of travelers/out of town family is in vermont and it gets a little busier. Might do a little 3 day excursion to VT next week. Trying to figure out what to expect.
Busi-er sure. Busi-est no. Just be smart about your schedule. Like, don't go to Alchemist between 3-5pm as apres ski will be heading down the mtn.

I've been to HF the week between Christmas and New Years twice now. Two years ago it was incredibly busy, with a multiple hour wait for growlers. Last year was practically empty, felt like we had the place to ourselves. It was snowing and the roads were not great, but I didn't think that phased those hearty New Englanders. Going again this year on the 29th, so we'll see.

where you staying?

Headed up the 26-27 for a quick trip. staying in waterbury the one night.

3 quick questions:

1. Best way to get to HF this time of year from Waterbury area?
2. Anywhere to grab a good breakfast along the way?
3. Suggestions for food on the way back on weds between HF and Philly?

Thanks for the help (I hope)!

3 quick questions:

giphy.gif

Debs Place in Morrisville if you want a quick and easy (and dirt cheap) diner style breakfast.

3 quick questions:

2. Go to Stagecoach for breakfast. Give Max some love.
1. From Waterbury, head up RT 100 to Morrisville. RT 15 to Hardwick.
3. On your way back, take RT 14 to Montpelier. Have lunch at 3Penny.

3 quick questions:

You won't make it to Stagecoach for breakfast unless you are leaving Philly at 2am or something. You could stop at Iron Gate in Albany. Plenty of diners there too.

Are you going back home on 91 or 89 from HF? Worthy Kitchen is usually my go-to stop coming back from VT. If you are going down 91 you could stop in Northampton for a late lunch.

You won't make it to Stagecoach for breakfast unless you are leaving Philly at 2am or something. You could stop at Iron Gate in Albany. Plenty of diners there too.

Are you going back home on 91 or 89 from HF? Worthy Kitchen is usually my go-to stop coming back from VT. If you are going down 91 you could stop in Northampton for a late lunch.

looks like he's going up Tuesday... staying in Waterbury overnight then getting breakfast and heading to HF
totally co-sign breakfast at Old Stagecoach

Three Penny is a great suggestion... if you are headed down 91... I'd do Worthy Burger... or as suggested above, Worthy Kitchen

or stop for some New Haven pizza if you are driving through CT

Thanks, guys! That definitely gives me plenty of options depending on which way we want to take home.

looks like he's going up Tuesday... staying in Waterbury overnight then getting breakfast and heading to HF
totally co-sign breakfast at Old Stagecoach

Three Penny is a great suggestion... if you are headed down 91... I'd do Worthy Burger... or as suggested above, Worthy Kitchen

or stop for some New Haven pizza if you are driving through CT
Oh I see now, for some reason I read that as looking for breakfast on the way up. If only the list was clearly numbered then I could easily understand the order of events /sarcasm

I do love stopping at a diner on the way up though. Also got to mention, I don't think Worthy Burger/Kitchen opens until 4 on Wednesdays.

Went into Hunger Mountain Coop yesterday and they seem to be going in a different direction with their beer selection. As in, let's just forget about selling beer. They moved their entire wine section into their beer section and the shelf beers are now gone. The cooler still has local cans, but that's about it. I was really blown away. I understand businesses having the right to do whatever they want to do, but their beer selection was always a strong draw to get the beer crowd into the store and inevitably purchase other items...So for those of you who make HMC a normal stop to grab beers, probably worth finding another spot.

Went into Hunger Mountain Coop yesterday and they seem to be going in a different direction with their beer selection. As in, let's just forget about selling beer. They moved their entire wine section into their beer section and the shelf beers are now gone. The cooler still has local cans, but that's about it. I was really blown away. I understand businesses having the right to do whatever they want to do, but their beer selection was always a strong draw to get the beer crowd into the store and inevitably purchase other items...So for those of you who make HMC a normal stop to grab beers, probably worth finding another spot.

That's too bad. Its a worthy visit for the cheese selection alone, imo. And if they're still stocking a lot of local stuff, it might still warrant a stop. I feel like I always end up buying something there from a local brewery I've never had or heard of, and absolutely loving it.

I've definitely noticed they've been scaling down the beer selection the last few years. They used to have amazing stuff, especially imported.

Ugh. That’s sad news. First place I ever saw HF product on the shelf outside of Greensboro, and last place I ever saw HF product on the shelf outside of Greensboro.

They knew you were coming, Noah. It was intentional.

LYMI

Anybody live around St. J (Vermont) and want to pop a beer between June 30th and July 3rd? That includes you Tine802
Will be bringing some stuff from California.

Went into Husnger Mountain Coop yesterday and they seem to be going in a different direction with their beer selection. As in, let's just forget about selling beer. They moved their entire wine section into their beer section and the shelf beers are now gone. The cooler still has local cans, but that's about it. I was really blown away. I understand businesses having the right to do whatever they want to do, but their beer selection was always a strong draw to get the beer crowd into the store and inevitably purchase other items...So for those of you who make HMC a normal stop to grab beers, probably worth finding another spot.

Ugh. That’s sad news. First place I ever saw HF product on the shelf outside of Greensboro, and last place I ever saw HF product on the shelf outside of Greensboro.

new growler and beer-centric bar opened up on the East side of town on River Street (late 2017). I enjoyed my time there and figured when in Montpelier, this place will probably be my go-to. Crowlers, bottles and cans to go too. There's no HF here, but after talking with the manager, I can tell he cares and will listen to customers offering suggestions. Huge tap list. Check it out, anyone driving through.

Bear Naked Growler

http://www.bearnakedgrowler.com/

https://untappd.com/v/bear-naked-growler/6867042

It’s been a long time since I’ve even done this but what’s the deal with Heady deliveries at Hunger Mtn? Appears it’s on Thursday’s but any insights into delivery time or limits?

It’s been a long time since I’ve even done this but what’s the deal with Heady deliveries at Hunger Mtn? Appears it’s on Thursday’s but any insights into delivery time or limits?
It's pretty much everywhere now sitting in shelves (no joke). Hunger mountain has it but I think they limit it. Easiest to go to the brewery and get your fill (and it's the cheapest there). It's not like the old days it's everywhere in Waterbury. I was there a month ago, it's hard not to grab it when you see it sitting there.

HMC has really cut back on their beer offerings...Heady is just about to the point of a gas station beer...

Back