The trub challenge.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merleti

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do you partake of your trub?
I know the general consensus is no it has off flavors that we do not like in beers. I have also heard it has beneficial properties such as vitamins.
What do you think?
Taste one beer with the trub and one without.

assuming you're talking about the yeast sediment in bottles and not kettle trub, for me it depends on the beer. yeast in high IBU beers tends to be a bit punchy on my palate, it is said some of the more astringent compounds (or just alpha acids in general) stick to the cell membranes, i dunno. but with less bitter beers it often just tastes like the beer. imo

I try and keep most of the kettle trub out of my fermenter mainly because I brew lagers and like to reuse my slurry. I get cleaner slurry if I do.

If it gets in the carboy then I don't fret. Opinions vary on whether it causes any issues, I've so far been okay with things so I don't worry about it.

I brew mostly German lagers, and have found that I prefer my beers that don't have a lot of trub carried over into the fermenter from the kettle. In my truby beers, I've definitely noticed the "sharpness" brulosopher mentions in his article, and I found it quite objectionable in my helles.

I'm thinking the first reply has the right idea, as to what OP is asking.

I decant all of my bottled beers. Bottle sediment tastes disgusting. If I want vitamins, I can take a vitamin.

I don't mind solid matter in my fermenter, but I don't like it in my bottles and even less in my glass. I do long primaries and careful racking to minimize bottle sediments.

When I was a very skinny kid (age 10-13) in Germany, along with milk, juice and beer, the milkman would deliver a carafe of dregs a week. Dregs were the trub plus beer when the the local breweries (Grüner, Fürth; Heidelberger, Heidelberg; Gold Ochsen, Ulm) cleaned their kegs. Trying to fatten me up, I had a glass of dregs before bed every night, every other night after cracking an egg into the glass. Nowadays when drinking an unfiltered beer, I'll drink most of it "clear," but when I have an inch left in my glass, I'll add every drop I can get out of the bottle. Dessert. Tastes better than getting brewers yeast from GNC.

I whirlpool so most stays out of my carboys as it is, but if it were to make it in, Im not worried. Ive brewed plenty of beers with and without trub, and have only noticed my flavor impacted by crappy water or uncontrolled fermentation temps.

If speaking of dregs from the bottle, I decant everytime, except from hefes.

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about that if you had a lot of trub in the fermenter that inevitably you would get some to carry over in the bottle mainly a taste factor. I tried to use trub instead of lees to help. I should have explained it better.

Auger great read

Back