Stronger heater for Kveik fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

movet22

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have an issue from last winter that I'm trying to address proactively this year. I have a brew room that is not super well insulated and has no HVAC vents. This isn't a problem for anything that needs a ~65F and below temp to ferment, as even in the summer my chiller works great. For reference, I'm using spike cf5 conicals.

However in the winter, the heat belts/wraps that come from Spike are not nearly efficient enough to keep my beers at hot, Kveik temps. My question is, can I install a low wattage, 120v heating element directly into one of my TC ports on the cf5 (one of the ones that will remain submerged) and wire it to my temp controller (thus functioning as only powering on to get to ~85F then turning off).

Example of the element I am referencing: Heating Element, TC integrated 1650 watt (120v), All Stainless Steel

I know brewtools has a in-conical fermentation heater that I think is very similar to this, but it only fits in a 2'' TC port, and thus is too big for my cf5 ports.

SO what do we think? any major risks? I'm worried about trub being in direct contact with the element, but I also feel like it could be fine since it's never going to be triggered to go hotter than ~90F.

Thanks for any and all help!

I don't have a Spike Conical, but I think I would try insulation before direct heat. I've fermented kveik in a cool space with a cooler bag, it retained the heat generated by the ferment.

Thanks for the replies-- I should add that the fermenter is insulated, and when the winter months really kick in, I cozy a portable (but rather large) oil heater right up to the cf5. Even with that, I can't get the temp reliable above 81-82.

Back