The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jmm20010 said:
1) Guys walks up to the bar I work at Which has Stella Artois, Bells Two Hearted, Sam Adams Summer Ale, and the Founders Porter..
"Why don't you guys have any domestic beers?" me: "Sam Adams, Bells, and Founders are made in the U.S.", Him: "No DOMESTIC like bud light.
2) Customers orders her meal but says " I have a very serious Gluten Alergy" and then she asks for a beer and upon warning her that beer has gluten in it she informs me that "she can have that kind of gluten."

Haha bud light isn't even "domestic" anymore.

Not a stupid comment on my beer but a funny beer story anyway. So I was at the Empire Brewfest a few weeks ago here in Syracuse, NY. It started at 5:30 and there were numerous beer tents so I started making the round. Finally got to the Bear Republic tent at about 8:30 (yeah there were a lot of tents). I was psyched because they had one of my favorite beers (Racer 5). I think their other one was the Hop Rod Rye. So I asked the guy for a pour of the Racer 5 and he gladly obliged. As soon as he poured it, I knew it was NOT Racer 5 but rather the Hop Rod Rye. I could tell by the color, but a small taste confirmed it. So I said to the guy "Hey, I think you have the taps switched on the lines because this is not the Racer 5." At first I think he thought I was kidding and he's like "are you sure?" and I'm like "yeah, Racer 5 is like one of my favorite beers and this ain't it". He then tells me he is just a volunteer and stuff and I'm like "yeah i totally understand. I just wanted to let you know that you have them switched and you should probably change them because you are serving the wrong beers". Anyway, he is hesitant so I walk away. A few minutes later, he walks up to me and says "You were right, I had the lines reversed". He thanked me and I said no problem. The thing that really gets me though is that...here I am at a craft beer event, which I assume is full of people who know at least SOMETHING about beer and probably like to drink good beers and not one person noticed (if they did, they didn't say anything).

Dude. Seriously. YOu would be surprised how clueless most people are. I pretty much think you have to be a beer geek or at least a well trained employee,which I believe there is a huge shortage of "well-trained" employees when it comes to differernt beer.

1) Guys walks up to the bar I work at Which has Stella Artois, Bells Two Hearted, Sam Adams Summer Ale, and the Founders Porter..
"Why don't you guys have any domestic beers?" me: "Sam Adams, Bells, and Founders are made in the U.S.", Him: "No DOMESTIC like bud light.
2) Customers orders her meal but says " I have a very serious Gluten Alergy" and then she asks for a beer and upon warning her that beer has gluten in it she informs me that "she can have that kind of gluten."

Ha.Genuine.Ha.

proof that this gluten thing is a big fad. My mother has had a gluten allergy for about ten years and its been very difficult in the past for her to go out to eat and she gets very sick if there is gluten in her foods. Most places she had to get salads with no dressings because servers were either uninformed or too ignorant to know/care about what foods had gluten in it. but now all of a sudden its everywhere... People didnt realize they needed gluten free until it was everywhere...:off:

Yeah, Ceilac's is not a fad, but there does seem to be some elevated hypochondria. The paleo/gluten free diets certainly contribute to a fear/avoidance of it.

Hey since going paleo-ish, I fart less and poo better. It's not all hogwash you know!

Although I think this is more to do with almost 100% reducing dairy from my diet than any gluten. But any large pasta dish will send me straight to the crapper...

Hey since going paleo-ish, I fart less and poo better. It's not all hogwash you know!

Although I think this is more to do with almost 100% reducing dairy from my diet than any gluten. But any large pasta dish will send me straight to the crapper...

Haha, I agree. I find a lot of the paleo research compelling. And dairy probably has something to do with your...regularity ;)

Haha, I agree. I find a lot of the paleo research compelling. And dairy probably has something to do with your...regularity ;)

My brother is hard-core paleo and avoids gluten like the plague. But he will let himself have a weekend off on the rare occasion so he can drink a few with friends. I blame the CrossFit explosion for the increase of paleo converts. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad thing at all. It's just that I had never even heard of a paleo diet until I experienced Crossfit. I think I may be one of the few left at the box who doesn't adhere to a paleo diet. Then again, I can't afford to go as often as most participants, so I haven't had as much of the kool aid.

Me: This cider is made with with traditional French and English, high-tannin cider apples.
Old Lady: Why on earth would you do that? Tannins are what make you hungover from drinking!
Me: I believe you are misinformed, Hangovers come from dehydration and other factors.
Old Lady: I'm pretty sure it's the tannins
Me: Ever gotten a hangover from drinking tea?
Old Lady: . . . no . . . *looks confused and dumps out cider anyways*

LeBreton said:
Me: This cider is made with with traditional French and English, high-tannin cider apples.
Old Lady: Why on earth would you do that? Tannins are what make you hungover from drinking!
Me: I believe you are misinformed, Hangovers come from dehydration and other factors.
Old Lady: I'm pretty sure it's the tannins
Me: Ever gotten a hangover from drinking tea?
Old Lady: . . . no . . . *looks confused and dumps out cider anyways*

Tannins are actually thought to be a partial component, as is dehydration, etc etc. Hangovers are surprisingly not very well understood.

Tannins are actually thought to be a partial component, as is dehydration, etc etc. Hangovers are surprisingly not very well understood.

While tannins may have an effect, irresponsible drinking is the only cause of hangovers I have ever witnessed.

gcdowd said:
Well this thread had taken an interesting turn...

A Møøse once bit my sister... No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law...

3 comments I got on beer I haven't forgot:

I gave by brother in law a homebrew to taste. When I asked if he wanted more, I got the answer that he would try later when I had grown in brewing.
No problem if you don't like the tast of a bee, but don't tell me that I can't brew if you have little beer knowledge :(

My neighboor (who is my brewmate) asked his father in law if hey could serve him some beer. The answer 'yeah, I would like a fine nice pils' meaning on normal supermarket beer ..

When you give a bottle of homebrew to someone, explaining it is homebrewed. They all come eventually with the same question: "but how do you put a cap on the bottle?"

^ that reminds me...

Recently, when telling a co-worker that I would bring him a couple beers to try, he asks, "Ok, sounds good. But how will I open them?"

"Like any other pop top bottle."

"Oh. Wow that machine must have been expensive!"

Yes. Yes it was. <facepalm>

Yeah, it seems the capping process is a bit of an enigma to people...

Once I got "How do you get your beer into the bottle with the cap on it?" Apparently he thought the bottles came pre-capped and we just injected beer through the cap.

Yeah, it seems the capping process is a bit of an enigma to people...

Once I got "How do you get your beer into the bottle with the cap on it?" Apparently he thought the bottles came pre-capped and we just injected beer through the cap.

You mean you don't? I gave a homebrew to my friend and he just looked at me with a really concerned face. I took it back and gave it to my brother who slammed it down, wiped his mouth, and said "let me know if that happens again".

OTOH you can use the 'magic' of capping.
Earlier this year I gave my brother for his birthday a day brewing with me. Everything on my cost and all the result would be his. I made a real nice voucher (looking old) and put it in an empty bottle. Closed the bottle with a cap, and gave the bottle as present :)

100% of the people I give beer to think that I put carbonated beer into the bottles. And while I know many of you probably do, when I explain the bottle priming process they act like I'm a magician - as if I thought of the process all by myself.

My father in law used to drink dark beers, but he won't anymore because he suddenly became allergic to all the tannins that are in dark beers. So he drinks light beer only now because it doesn't have tannins. Oh yeah, and red wine. He drinks that too.

100% of the people I give beer to think that I put carbonated beer into the bottles. And while I know many of you probably do, when I explain the bottle priming process they act like I'm a magician - as if I thought of the process all by myself.

I thought you did invent the process and through trial and error is how you got your name... My world was just flipped.

H-ost said:
I thought you did invent the process and through trial and error is how you got your name... My world was just flipped.

Hah... I've never bombed a beer actually. I just joined the forum with the name, and even though it's a mouthful it's become my online handle now for everything so there's no changing it.

I like the guy he said this
"the top of the bottle tastes like wine, and once I got to the bottom it started tasting like beer"
Which is funny it was a wheat beer, and I did explain to not drink it out of the bottle. Some can be taught, others can't.

A great Paulaner Clone kegged at 8psi after one week served at 5psi, a friend said: "Dude, this is good, but there this WAY too much carbonation going on here! And it's cold. Hefeweizen should be served warm."

My response: "WTF are you talking about!" :ban:

Mumbly said:
I like the guy he said this
"the top of the bottle tastes like wine, and once I got to the bottom it started tasting like beer"
Which is funny it was a wheat beer, and I did explain to not drink it out of the bottle. Some can be taught, others can't.

The wine part doesn't make sense, but I'm sure drinking dregs can taste quite beery to the uninitiated ;)

My wife always says the beer makes her face suck in, no matter what style..... One day I will find a beer she will drink....

I get to try a lot of beer!!!! The local brewery had a short run of a Belgian that she said wasn't too bad, so I've been working on that lead.....

bottlebomber said:

I actually get a similar reaction any time somebody sees my stirplate.

My boss and a coworker like porters so I gave them some of mine that I bottled with dark maple syrup and they said they were suprised by the quality taste. I thought to myself "my boss expected a low quality beer out of me, how nice"

KuntzBrewing said:
My boss and a coworker like porters so I gave them some of mine that I bottled with dark maple syrup and they said they were suprised by the quality taste. I thought to myself "my boss expected a low quality beer out of me, how nice"

Meh, I don't find that stupid or even odd at all. Producing anything to be commercial quality with cheap home equipment is usually difficult and often impossible. Home brewed beer is just something that happens to be able to meet and even at times exceed its commercial counterparts. I think even most homebrewers were at one point also surprised at the quality of beer they, or people they knew, were able to produce.

Eh we can make better quality than a brewery I think.(by no means do I implicate that I'm making the worlds best beer) just because we make it at home.just depends on how well you want to male good beer (really the equipment doesn't impact quality) an old cooler turned into a mash tun doesn't make my beer test cheap compared to a stainless steel blichman engineering mashtun etc. I truly Believe I can make just as good or better a product than 3 Floyd's or dogfish head. Just depends on how much I want to invest. You can still make "OK" beer using completely automated equipment. I strive to make the best that I can. Craft beer is an art science.

I one day would like to open my own brewery and with the market today I need to make the best possible beer I can.

KuntzBrewing said:
Eh we can make better quality than a brewery I think.(by no means do I implicate that I'm making the worlds best beer) just because we make it at home.just depends on how well you want to male good beer (really the equipment doesn't impact quality) an old cooler turned into a mash tun doesn't make my beer test cheap compared to a stainless steel blichman engineering mashtun etc. I truly Believe I can make just as good or better a product than 3 Floyd's or dogfish head. Just depends on how much I want to invest. You can still make "OK" beer using completely automated equipment. I strive to make the best that I can. Craft beer is an art science.

I one day would like to open my own brewery and with the market today I need to make the best possible beer I can.

Oh, I agree completely. I was talking about how, with regards to things OTHER THAN beer, producing something commercial-quality is frequently just accepted as impossible... often because it pretty much is. So I just meant that it's not surprising that the average person thinks that beer would be the same way.

emjay said:
Oh, I agree completely. I was talking about how, with regards to things OTHER THAN beer, producing something commercial-quality is frequently just accepted as impossible... often because it pretty much is. So I just meant that it's not surprising that the average person thinks that beer would be the same way.

Yup and really id be in their shoes too if i didnt brew. If someone gave me a beer they made in their garage i wouldnt have high hopes for it either lol were suprisingly cunning little bastards lol

SWMBO hates beer. So she says. But I keep handing her samples, she takes a tiny polite little sip, wrinkles her nose, says, "Ick! Yuck!" and then 2 minutes later she takes another sip and smiles. Then she says, "It's actually kind of sweet and caramelly" or "I don't like that one. It's too bitter." She doesn't realize it, but she's learning. I don't expect her to like anything I brew, let alone everything.

But I am leading her towards pinpointing some flavors and characteristics that she likes. So far my hefeweizen is "actually not that bad", my stout "has a nice caramel flavor" and in my Oatmeal cookie ale "you can kind of taste the cookie..." In time, she will find a beer that she doesn't mind. They all do eventually.

Not really dumb comments. I actually consider them high praise coming from someone who doesn't drink much and can't even stomach a BMC. She is actually way ahead of people just by the fact that she doesn't know enough to think that BMC might be good. Stout, Hefe, Flanders Ale, Gose, Geuze, RIS, and BMC, are all on equal footing. And that is really interesting.

I haven't gotten many dumb comments. I guess it's because I introduce my beer with my Mr. Wizard hat on, loading people with a ton of technical scientific concepts and historical anecdotes that convince them I am the Einstein/George Will of beer. They see the refractometer, the hydrometer, learn about my sanitation procedure, and then the 5 gallon pot in a bathtub doesn't seem so scary. They learn that it's actually sanitary or else it wouldn't even turn into beer. They inevitably give in to my geekiness and have to suspend their disbelief. And of course them starting to catch a buzz doesn't hurt either.

I present my beers as a ridiculous modern science... That touches the very roots of humankind. The thought of someone not liking any of my beer is... Absurd.

Back