The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tiber_Brew said:
Stout taps don't work that way.

Though I never mentioned anything about stout taps thanks for clearing that one up. An I get it you can't CARB with nitrogen.

Why don't we take a step back to the thread topic. Yesterday I had some friends over an was serving the last of two beers I had on tap. I gave a pale ale to an old friend who doesn't particularly drink much beer other than the light stuff. She took a sip an went bug eyed and said with a huge smile, "hey! This tastes like reeaalll beer"
Same friend once asked me how I make it alcoholic, to which another friend who is more knowledgable chimed in with 'vodka' which she went on believing

Though I never mentioned anything about stout taps thanks for clearing that one up. An I get it you can't CARB with nitrogen.

If you'll pardon the intrusion - just thought I would clear it up.

Omitting the emphasis on "carb" part of carbonation, there is still no brewing or serving process that involves dissolving nitrogen in beer. With nitrogen or beer gas taps, the nitrogen is used to push the beer, not dissolve in it.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread topic...

I understand that it is used to mostly increase pressure which combined with the resistance of the stout taps allows for the nice thick head, but it is not insoluble in beer, only less soluble. The bubbles wouldn't be so small if it was just co2 breaking out of the solution

I understand that it is used to mostly increase pressure which combined with the resistance of the stout taps allows for the nice thick head, but it is not insoluble in beer, only less soluble

This. The fact that you get a cascading head is indication that some of it has dissolved into solution, which is perfectly plausible considering the beer is cold and getting moved around, plus the nitrogen is filling in the keg headspace.

dawgmatic said:
I understand that it is used to mostly increase pressure which combined with the resistance of the stout taps allows for the nice thick head, but it is not insoluble in beer, only less soluble. The bubbles wouldn't be so small if it was just co2 breaking out of the solution

Not quite. Only a minute fraction of the nitro dissolves into the beer. The tiny bubbles are almost all CO2 breaking out of solution, and the reason they're so tiny is that they've been broken apart by being forced through the restrictor plate in the faucet at high pressure.

Not quite. Only a minute fraction of the nitro dissolves into the beer. The tiny bubbles are almost all CO2 breaking out of solution, and the reason they're so tiny is that they've been broken apart by being forced through the restrictor plate in the faucet at high pressure.

This.

The amount of dissolved nitrogen is negligible if any, and plays no role in the beer itself. You can even use Argon gas in place of nitrogen if you wanted. It's therefore not accurate on any level to say that a beer is carbonated with nitrogen.

Its hard to pick one; here's the top 5:

(keeping in mind that I do all-grain brewing)

"I made a beer kit once 20 years ago, I'll pass"
"Is that legal"
"why can't you afford to buy beer"
"hmm...its... OK... I guess..."
"why is it cloudy" (wheat beer)
These people do not get offered beer twice.

Not a comment on homebrew but I clean draft beer lines for a living and I often get askd (after I'm finishd flushing) why doesnt it look any clearer? when they're holding a blue moon or shock top up to the light

The SWMBO, "That's a different after-taste"

After every beer she drinks except for Lindemans Framboise

"it needs more beer flavor" (Hefe)
"No Thanks, I don't like fruity beers" while sucking down a 12pk of Bud Light Lime.

Is there really a bud light lime? that sounds just awful :(

Yeah, released about four years ago. :D I didn't know anybody could actually fly under the BMC-advertisers radar. Hell, I don't even have cable but I still get assaulted by their ads all over the interwebs.

Yeah, released about four years ago. :D I didn't know anybody could actually fly under the BMC-advertisers radar. Hell, I don't even have cable but I still get assaulted by their ads all over the interwebs.

Perhaps our NZ friends are spared this lovely beverage?

Tried a bud light lime... once, just to see what the fuss was. Tasted like bud light, with a green lolipop soaking in it. It was God Awful. I've heard the Lime-rita is even worse!

starrfish said:
Tried a bud light lime... once, just to see what the fuss was. Tasted like bud light, with a green lolipop soaking in it. It was God Awful. I've heard the Lime-rita is even worse!

Lol this.

Actually, I had a bud-light lime not long ago, when visiting a friend's house. It wasn't terrible. The lime tended to cover up the bud-light, I think.

Actually, I had a bud-light lime not long ago, when visiting a friend's house. It wasn't terrible. The lime tended to cover up the bud-light, I think.

I find them refreshing. But then, who am I to question the tastes of such a refined bunch of snobs?

I'll drink anything. Hell, if Bud's the only thing around, I'll have 2 at once! (look left)

"You should really use twist off, these are inconvenient."

Seriously? I just brewed my own beer, and your only feedback is on the cap?

"It's good."

Not stupid, but this is about the worst constructive feedback you can give anybody.

Perhaps our NZ friends are spared this lovely beverage?

Yeah we are out of their reach, advertising wise anyway their beer still shows up on our shelves but Im pretty sure we don't have any lime ones. We've obviously got our own BMC though, just different names, pretty much the same beers. I bet I can't get through this summer before seeing lime infused lagers on the shelves.

"It's good."

Not stupid, but this is about the worst constructive feedback you can give anybody.

I know it's ungrateful, but I totally agree. I'd rather have constructive criticism (even if I completely disagree with it) than a compliment.

Of course free beer is good!

I made a small batch and brought samples in to my shop, gave it to all different folks so I could get different feedback. I told them before they drank it to think about what they liked and what they didnt. Even the bad too. Told em I can't make the recipe better if you don't tell me what you do not like...

So far I have not had a stupid comment on my beer but a lot of uneducated comments cause a lot of folks only buy and drink. They do not take the time to really look into what makes a good beer cause they they dont make it (which I totally understand that not everybody is into it like us), they just buy a different brand. One guy who is a good friend told me the beer (it was a light rye) was a little strong (not in a bad way, he liked it) when trying to explain the spiciness that rye had.

starrfish said:
On my cream ale:

"Tastes like Miller, but that's a good thing."

AARRRRRRGGGHHHH~~ Miller doesn't use Simcoe!

Simcoe Cream Ale? What a waste. Was it hoppy?

Maybe it had an off flavour??? Oh, SNAP!!

Probably. It's a very common flavor associated with certain yeasts at certain temperatures.

But I'll throw out a new one--

Stopped at a tiny bar on the river called Ol' Bridge Pub that serves amazing beers. I saw Deschutes Twilight Summer Ale and asked what it was all about. The bartender told me it was an amber hefe. Not only was it far from anything I would call amber, it was 100% crystal clear with zero signs of yeast. There just happened to be a smidge of wheat in it... so I guess that makes it a hefe....

Somehow my Ordinary Bitter "tasted like banana's"...
Maybe it had an off flavour??? Oh, SNAP!!

I had something similar happen to me...
Made a Scottish Strong Ale, pretty good, though I decided it just wasn't my favorite beer. Took a couple of mini kegs with me on vacation, and shared it around.
A good number sampled, and the response was overwhelmingly positive, though many just had one glass (pretty strong in both alcohol and body, I wasn't surprised). A few of the micro brew drinkers then mentioned that they really liked the banana aspect along with the malt body.
I took another sip, and clear as day, I taste bananas. I don't know how I ever DIDN'T taste bananas.
Guess that fermentation ran hotter than I thought it did, because the same yeast was used in my Irish Red Ale, and produced a clear flavor profile...

:ban: :eek:

Dude your going down! Nobody says that my OB tastes like Banana, NOBODY! lolz...

I don't think so, no one else mentioned that, and many have sampled the glorious nectar. :)

Hey do whatever you want, just don't make me drink your gross banana-beer.

:mug:

My girlfriend's mom thinks she knows everything there is to know, and everybody else should bow before her wisdom. When she found out I make my own beer she proceeded to tell me and a few other people how "that stuff will make you go blind, or kill you. It's very dangerous". Then she told my girlfriend she's not to drink any of it. With most people I would correct them, and tell them how there is no way it could make you go blind, but she has a habit of throwing meat cleavers at people who displease her. I have to pick my battles.

Edit: My GF does drink the homebrew.

Rubes said:
My girlfriend's mom thinks she knows everything there is to know, and everybody else should bow before her wisdom. When she found out I make my own beer she proceeded to tell me and a few other people how "that stuff will make you go blind, or kill you. It's very dangerous". Then she told my girlfriend she's not to drink any of it. With most people I would correct them, and tell them how there is no way it could make you go blind, but she has a habit of throwing meat cleavers at people who displease her. I have to pick my battles.

Get out while she's still your girl friends mom and not your mother in law just sayin it's not going to get any better

Get out while she's still your girl friends mom and not your mother in law just sayin it's not going to get any better

Luckily I'm on her good side, and have never had a problem with her. She thinks I'm amazing. That could change though, so I'd like to move far enough away from her that she can't just come over on a whim. She certainly has issues.. Worse comes to worse I will just forbid her from coming to my house; I don't think my gf would be too choked up about that anyway..

Luckily I'm on her good side, and have never had a problem with her. She thinks I'm amazing. That could change though, so I'd like to move far enough away from her that she can't just come over on a whim. She certainly has issues.. Worse comes to worse I will just forbid her from coming to my house; I don't think my gf would be too choked up about that anyway..

I suggest booby trapping your driveway. Also, it only takes once for your m-i-l to walk in on you in your altogether for random drop-ins to subside.

I suggest booby trapping your driveway. Also, it only takes once for your m-i-l to walk in on you in your altogether for random drop-ins to subside.

Haha, this is true. May have to invite her over and then "forget". Let her get an eyeful.

Back