The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me: "Here is a Red IPA, it's not like the typical Budweiser, Miller beers that you are probably used to... It's got quite a bit more hops, which makes it more bitter and a higher alcohol content."

Them: "So this a porter?"

Me: "No... that's a completely different style, this is an IPA..."

Them: "Oh... so it's a Killian's and Bud Ice combined."

Me: (facepalm)

Me: "Here is a Red IPA, it's not like the typical Budweiser, Miller beers that you are probably used to... It's got quite a bit more hops, which makes it more bitter and a higher alcohol content."

Them: "So this a porter?"

Me: "No... that's a completely different style, this is an IPA..."

Them: "Oh... so it's a Killian's and Bud Ice combined."

Me: (facepalm)

Wow... I think we might actually have a winner here, folks!

I dont want to be a buzzkill on whats supposed to be a lighthearted thread, but am I the only one who reads some (not all) of the comments and gets "mandatory vasectomy" mad? I mean, I know not everyone knows a pilsner from a IPA and thats alright but the person who wouldnt drink anymore apfelwein because the yeast turns the sugar to alcohol and "thats gross?" My god people. I mean... this is a lot to take in... hold me.

Just saw someone on Facebook post this on my friend's wall in response to a brewing picture:

"It's all fun and games and then the DEA shows up..."

LVBen said:
"It's all fun and games and then the DEA shows up..."

Not only can they not distinguish a method lab from a brewing set up, but they get the government entity wrong?! WTF?! ATF. NOT DEA DAMNIT LOL

A girl at a party asked me what the stuff at the bottom of the bottle was. I told her it was yeast, and her eyes got wide. She said (practically mid-sip), "Oh my god! Am I gonna get a yeast infection from drinking this?!" I busted up laughing, took her glass, and said yes.

EDIT: Just saw Beezy's post, lol.

I was talking to my brother in law around the campfire at the lake this past June. He isn't much of a beer drinker. We were drinking Lakemaids that he had brought (from Schells). If you aren't familiar, it's an American lager with corn added to lighten it up with a tad more hops than a BMC (but with attractive Lakemaid girls on the label). Then we switched to a stout that I had brought along and he had never tried before. He says, "hey this tastes just like Lakemaid". <facepalm>

I continue to give him homebrew to try and "refine" his palate...But I don't think it's working.

I gave a guy I work with a couple of my 10 day pale ales, which is based on EdWorts haus pale with a few minor tweaks. He drinks bud light or rum and coke. Period. Gave them to him on friday. Monday I ask him if he tried it and he says, "Yeah, I drank one and my friend drank one. We both finished it, but it kinda tasted like Falstaff." I've never had Falstaff but I guess its pretty decent then.

Not a stupid comment but I thought it fitted in here well:
After sampling a batch of BM Centennial Blond that has just finished conditioning in the keg and was being put in the fridge to chill, the wife said that she would preferred to drink that beer (even though it was flat and warm) over the comercial lager she had just finished!

"WHOA! this is gonna get me messed up, I shouldn't drink this whole bottle"
It was a mild...

I got a similar response as one that was mentioned a little earlier in the thread by my now wife "Wow, it tastes like beer!"

One of my non-beer geek buddies: "Meh, it's ok, but can you brew a batch of Miller Lite?"

This actually reminded me of when I was younger. I didn't catch the actual request as I came up on it late but someone apparently said it was OK and then asked would they be able to make some Bud Light for them to which they apparently replied yes and I walked up just in time to see him peeing in one of the empty bottles.

It's annoying that anyone who finds out that you make beer @ home thinks you're trying to replicate BMC stuff, and you're doing it because you're a cheap ass. Also, they think that because they tried it 10 years ago and it sucked, or because the "brew your own" place down the street experiment didn't quite work out that it's impossible to make good beer. And they usually follow up this advice with some comparison to making moonshine and you being some kind of bootlegger.

But the odd time you get someone who says something like "I used to know a guy who made his own beer, and he gave me one once that I'd say was the best beer I've ever tasted". Those guys are solid.

I love this thread. Never gets old.

One of my favorites, upon seeing my immersion chiller, "Wow, I see you do your own distilling too, now that it's legal."

No, I don't, and no, it isn't.

My dad when he tried my second partial mash beer, an American Red Ale.

"Wow, it's even got bubbles!"

Woman at work:

"So can you make some of that rice beer like the normal stuff?"

I'm actually pretty thankful, I talk about brewing enough that I've been able to find a couple of people that either brew (mostly just kits sadly) or people that like trying different craft brews.

Funny story, knew a guy who went to the trouble of making a still... and made soap. Not nefarious soap. Just soap.

I think he used beef tallow.

Yup. A still is completely legal up to 1 gallon, I think. Distilling is completely legal. You can distill water, essential oils from fruits and herbs, and I'm sure there are other legal uses, but alcohol is not one of them.

Lol... about the distiller comment...

I had some mason jars filled with pre-boiled water cooling in the fridge to use for yeast washing, a friend of mine saw them and said "Holy cow! You moved on to making moonshine!"

Funny thing is that he is a home-brewer too, a noob, but a home-brewer none-the-less.

But the odd time you get someone who says something like "I used to know a guy who made his own beer, and he gave me one once that I'd say was the best beer I've ever tasted". Those guys are solid.

had one of those the other night when I got to talking about homebrewing with some people from class after a test let out. Was nice to see someone who appreciates it.

Not a stupid comment at all, but one of my favorites: I sometimes keep the fermenters in a bathtub so the mess is contained if there's a blowoff. SWMBO's dad told her little niece that "Jon makes beer in his bathtub!" and her eyes got all wide because I think she was picturing a bathtub filled with beer. Pretty cute.

the "is that legal" is pretty standard

then theres the guy that thinks because you made it that it must be free so he should just plan on drinking it

I actually had a buddy's sister at a wedding reception that i brewed an oktoberfest for "say what is that? yuck its dark" its oktoberfest woman!!!

paulster2626 said:
It's annoying that anyone who finds out that you make beer @ home thinks you're trying to replicate BMC stuff, and you're doing it because you're a cheap ass. Also, they think that because they tried it 10 years ago and it sucked, or because the "brew your own" place down the street experiment didn't quite work out that it's impossible to make good beer. And they usually follow up this advice with some comparison to making moonshine and you being some kind of bootlegger.

I brought my first two brews to an annual tailgate party last year and the one gut claims it was the best he has had. I told him to be prepared to be blown away next year after I actually have some experience. It's these moments that make proud to be a brewer.

This one is not so stupid as funny. Background: my wife doesn't like beer of any sort. Liquor is a no go. There have been a couple sweet wines that she could manage. She is a good sport though and will take a taste of each of my brews. I just gave her a sample of my old ale just a few minutes ago. She said it tasted like death. I pushed her further and she said tires and ass, like everything black and soulless.

I've been reading this thread this it's inception (sorry drunk on Jom and coke)

My SWMABO has asked about the legality and if it's safe to drink.

Depends on state for legality but 94-96% chance it is. I try to avoid that question since if I read it correctly it might have issues here but that would make all buckets, pots, and ladles in the state illegal if true also.

I'm actually pretty thankful, I talk about brewing enough that I've been able to find a couple of people that either brew (mostly just kits sadly) or people that like trying different craft brews.

Unless the kits they are buying contain old ingredients or are a recipe put together by someone who doesn't know what their doing, there is nothing sad about that. It's no different than looking up a recipe on here and ordering the ingredients, if you ask me.

Back