The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read in a few places that beer (not wine) is actually better suited to be paired with cheese , you should ask him what cheese he was eating and try it ;)

That may be true in general, but from experience, dunkelweizen + provolone is a bad combo :p

motleybrews said:
I did. Last Monday. A piss drunk neighbor knocked on my door. Was in the middle of adding DME to the pot so I yelled that I was busy. Knocks get louder and I told him to go f*** himself. About half hour later 8 cops show up at my door. Thank God one was a homebrewer. Was told they got a call about a meth lab and strong smell of marijuana. Told them I'm a homebrewer and the marijuana smell I could not explain, but "I bet it's the hops". It was about 10:30 at night and I invited them to come back when they got off (11:15). 6 of them took me up on it. I got that batch in the fermentor before they got back. I had some beer cheese soup I'd made, gave them each a bowl, along with tasting glasses of my nut brown, Irish red, and American cream. They hung out for about 2 hours. The homebrewer enjoyed the hell out of it, along with 3 of the others. The other 2 had fun but made comments like: "tastes like beer, but I prefer bud", "aww man I already feel gassy".

Ive since gotten an invite to brew with the cop. Going to his house this coming Saturday to do a Pliny the Elder.

This is awesome, just from the home brewing community stand point of things...

It makes me think when I first got into craft beer, the beer was just tooo rich and couldn't find it drinkable, but just had to acclimate my palate, then found my self at barnes and noble, and one of the employees was a homebrewer. Told me of a LHBS, BAM! homebrewer... About to brew a RIS , hows that for rich....

I was having friends over to try my homebrew. It was probably my 2nd batch; an IPA. I poured a 4oz glass for my friend the chef.

I handed it to her and she said," can I have some ice cubes in this."

I felt so insulted.

I said, "no, absolutely not. It's not whiskey or something."

She is good friend and always tells me how she loves, the malt. Blah, blah, she's talking about chocolate or something.

I'm always tripping about her and beer, because no how much I explain styles, history or ingredients, she thinks and has said on many occasions that beer tastes like piss.

It bums me out almost as much as when I read about the consolidation of American breweries of the mid 20th century or the Holocaust.

bondybrew said:
. . . It bums me out almost as much as when I read about the consolidation of American breweries of the mid 20th century or the Holocaust.

You just compared a friend not liking your beer with genocide ;)

This one isn't really a stupid comment, but a strange thing that happened to me.

I got married this weekend and brewed a bunch of beer for the reception. I had originally planned for four beers on tap: A Kolsch, an IPA, a Saison, and an Amber. The amber had a TON of Acetaldehyde in it by the time this weekend rolled around, so I decided not to serve it, and only list 3 beers available.

Well, everyone kept asking what the fourth beer was on my 4-tap kegerator, and word got out about this "secret 4th tap" that people LOVED. I mean, people burned through it more than any of the other beers I had available!

I guess one man's off-flavor is another man's fancy :tank:

This one isn't really a stupid comment, but a strange thing that happened to me.

I got married this weekend and brewed a bunch of beer for the reception. I had originally planned for four beers on tap: A Kolsch, an IPA, a Saison, and an Amber. The amber had a TON of Acetaldehyde in it by the time this weekend rolled around, so I decided not to serve it, and only list 3 beers available.

Well, everyone kept asking what the fourth beer was on my 4-tap kegerator, and word got out about this "secret 4th tap" that people LOVED. I mean, people burned through it more than any of the other beers I had available!

Ha, classic.
But did you leave the beer on service but just didn't list it?
Might as well put a red handle on it with a sign stating the the world will end if someone pulls the red tap... there is always someone that will pull the red tap just to see. Good to here that it didn't start the apocolypes, the only down side is now everyone will be asking for you to brew that "amazing" mystery amber :D

Ha, yeah the "secret" factor probably had a lot to do with it. I also got "so wait, did you put grapefruit in this?" For my "I Do" IPA

A year and a half ago, my wife's sister and her husband were having a house warming. He and I split the cost of a London Porter and a Hefeweizen for us to make on my equipment, where I would get whatever was left.

The Hefeweizen was great, although a little banana-y. The Porter tasted like plastic, to the point that I felt bad serving it, so I also brought along a keg of Apfelwein.

The Porter was gone by the end of the night. I brought home 1/3 of the Hefeweizen keg, and I still have 3/4 of the Apfelwein keg (yes, I have 3/4 of a 5-gallon keg of 2-year-old Apfelwein).

Have you tried it lately? That would have mellowed out nicely by now :D

I think I tried a little bit about a month ago. Problem is it's really fun to make, but I don't actually like apple juice, and it tastes like dry apple juice. So I'm planning to serve it to a party my wife is throwing for her roller derby friends ;)

Not a comment about one of my brews, but...

I was recently at the Hood River, Oregon White House, a wine bar and retailer who always features a local craft brew. The selection at the time was the Double Mountain Vaporizer, an IPA.

The wine bar server looked me in the eye and said, "Now I gotta warn you, this is a "HOPPED" IPA."

Really. No kidding. (Good brew)

I helped my boss load a few things into his trunk today (the lazy ass wanted me to take it to his apartment, 45 minutes away) and sitting in the trunk was the 6 pack of home brew I gave him at Christmas. The jerk never even tried them. I bet they taste great after sitting in his trunk for nine months. I ought to make him drink every drop.

I helped my boss load a few things into his trunk today (the lazy ass wanted me to take it to his apartment, 45 minutes away) and sitting in the trunk was the 6 pack of home brew I gave him at Christmas. The jerk never even tried them. I bet they taste great after sitting in his trunk for nine months. I ought to make him drink every drop.

Thats why I always ask peoples background and likes/not likes before giving away good beer. I hate to see perfectly good beer not appreciated. You should accidentally spill a couple in his trunk and let him see what THAT smells like after six months.;)

I gave him three from a batch in October and he raved about them, so I figured six were a good gift. You think he's going to get any more from me ever?

The guy is a slob, anyway, so he probably wouldn't even notice the smell of rank beer. I'm serious about that. The man is disgusting.

My rule of thumb is, if you return the bottles I will give you more. Then at least I know they are being drank. If not, whatever, you just don't get any more.

My cousin tells me "Your homebrew gave me the runs and stomach problems for over two weeks."

I had my daughter's graduation party and thought I would introduce my Bud Light/Busch drinking friends to my homebrew. It was a big hit and they never even touched the cheap canned beer I bought "just in case". I told them all how to pour it in a glass to avoid drinking the yeast sediment but most just drank from the bottle anyway. My cousin in law tells me a few days later that he is sick because he drank the yeast. He says they googled it and found that the yeast in homebrew attacks good bacteria in your digestive system and causes diariaha. Said he had to go to the pharmacy and get something to (activia maybe?) to replace the good bacteria in his digestive system.

I told him he's full of **** and that he caught the flu. Nobody else had a problem but him and they drank a lot. Now when he comes over and I ask if he wants a beer, he says "Only if it's an Anheuser Busch product."

Oh well....more beer for me. :mug:

My cousin tells me "Your homebrew gave me the runs and stomach problems for over two weeks."

I had my daughter's graduation party and thought I would introduce my Bud Light/Busch drinking friends to my homebrew. It was a big hit and they never even touched the cheap canned beer I bought "just in case". I told them all how to pour it in a glass to avoid drinking the yeast sediment but most just drank from the bottle anyway. My cousin in law tells me a few days later that he is sick because he drank the yeast. He says they googled it and found that the yeast in homebrew attacks good bacteria in your digestive system and causes diariaha. Said he had to go to the pharmacy and get something to (activia maybe?) to replace the good bacteria in his digestive system.

I told him he's full of **** and that he caught the flu. Nobody else had a problem but him and they drank a lot. Now when he comes over and I ask if he wants a beer, he says "Only if it's an Anheuser Busch product."

yo do know the yeast takes some getting used to right? pure is too much for some people no matter what the substance :drunk:

Buy him a nice sippy cup for his beer and have "little princess" engraved on it.

Beertech said:

Live yeast is actually a REALLY powerful laxative. And some are more sensitive to it then others.

However, the most anybody can really expect is the runs that night or the next day. There's no way he'd be "sick" several days later, which is what you made it sound like.

yeah i have heard a few people claim that my homebrew made them "sick" funny part was me and a few other people drank it at the same time from the same batch and were fine LoL

i can see getting the runs for a day or 2 if it was bottle conditioned... but i only keg and bottle from the keg though so no sediment is in the bottle. but anyone who claims to be sick for 2 weeks from homebrew is retarded. it would have to be like a poisoned batch or something and everyone would get sick not just 1 person.

I recently made a Kolsch and gave a few bottles to my boss. He said after drinking them "what was it, a pale ale? It was so hoppy I had a hard time getting it down." It was 25 IBU.

bottlebomber said:
I recently made a Kolsch and gave a few bottles to my boss. He said after drinking them "what was it, a pale ale? It was so hoppy I had a hard time getting it down." It was 25 IBU.

Hoppy and bitter aren't necessarily the same thing haha.

If you got that 25IBU by hopbursting with low-alpha noble hops, for example, that would be insanely hoppy for a kölsch!

Of course, I know you know all that ;) I'm just taking the opportunity you've provided to wax pedantic :D

Another commercial beer comment.

Friend: What are you drinking?
Me: Arrogant Bastard.
Friend: What is that? I've never heard of it? Is it bitter?
Me: Yeah, it's pretty bitter.
Friend: More bitter than Guinness?
Me: Uhhhhh.... yeah

BBL_Brewer said:
Man! That's a really dark beer.

It was a pale ale

I had a similar experience! Poured a fella an IPA. He then asked "so is this a stout or what?"

ForumRunner_20110724_102837.jpg

Its interesting that stout used to mean strong, but now means dark and roasty

But dark used to mean... well dark and now beer noobs use it to mean strong

Language...

Cascadegan said:
Its interesting that stout used to mean strong, but now means dark and roasty

But dark used to mean... well dark and now beer noobs use it to mean strong

Language...

I'm sorry... the fluidity of language is always a fascinating topic, but I have to say you are seriously reaching here. Normally I wouldn't bother arguing something in a thread like this, but your (possibly unintentional) characterization of "beer noobs" as absolute idiots is just beyond wrong.

Beer noobs aren't necessarily any stupider than beer geeks. They know what dark means. But since dark is a relative term, one can only compare beers to their own sense of what an average beer is - and in their case, it happens to be light lagers. So when they pick up an IPA and say it's dark, even though we consider them to be lighter, or "pale", beers, they don't mean strong, they literally mean dark. If you give them a rich, 10% Belgian Golden Strong Ale - a "strong" beer even by most beer geeks' standards - that also happens to sit at 3 SRM, not even beer noobs are going to seriously call it "dark" just because it's strong (assuming they're not in the absolute LOWEST percentiles of intelligence). I'm not going to say NOBODY would ever call it dark, since some people might even have their perceptions clouded by certain expectations of homebrew/craft beer (e.g. my dad smelled a Munich Helles I was drinking before taking a sip, and remarked that it smelled strong, as he does with everything that I drink.)

On the other hand, if you pour a beer noob a can of Guinness Draught, whose watery taste and ABV of around 4% makes it quite a weak beer by any measure, they're still going to note that it's dark as hell, and are pretty much guaranteed to tell you that it is much darker than the Belgian Golden Strong. It can be fun to make fun of beer noobs' ignorance on the subject, but being a light lager drinker doesn't make a person so mentally handicapped that they confuse the meaning of dark.

And while I'm at it, I'll just add that "strong" is merely one definition of "stout", and not even close to the most commonly used. Outside of beer, it has been primarily used for quite some time now to describe a person who is actually fat, portly, rotund, etc. And next to that, it's seen far more usage as a synonym for "bold." And "bold" actually seems like a pretty good way to describe the heavy roastiness of a typical stout, especially when you consider that "stout" is merely a shortened form for the original name of the style, "stout porter". In other words, it was used to describe a bolder version of porter, which seems like a reasonably accurate use of the word to me.

I've never heard anyone refer to a strong beer as dark, but i've heard people assume that since a beer is dark, it has to be strong. When I told my mom's neighbor that I brew, she said "so you make dark, strong beer?". A lot of people also have this misconception that Guinness is stronger than any other BMC. Just another misconception that people have about beer.

Stronger in taste then a piss yellow bmc. And I think that's why people think it some how has a higher abv.

Outside of beer, it has been primarily used for quite some time now to describe a person who is actually fat, portly, rotund, etc.

Is this true?

Personally, when I think of a stout person, Brock Lesner comes to mind. When I think of a fat, portly, or rotund person a sumo wrestler comes to mind.

cfonnes said:
Is this true?

Personally, when I think of a stout person, Brock Lesner comes to mind. When I think of a fat, portly, or rotund person a sumo wrestler comes to mind.

Reminds me of a gag colonial-era personal ad from the Daily Show book:
"I am: landed, hemp friendly, a tall 4' 8"
Thou art: Under three score, small pox neg., of fertile loins. Please, no stouties."

When a friend of a friend tried my PALE ALE.........

FOAF - "Ehh, it needs more pale ale flavor."

Is this true?

Yup, historically stout = hefty/fat

You may think immediately of a beefcake like Lesner since large muscles and low body fat are currently desirable traits.

However, back in the day, a fatter man was an indication that he was a weathly individual and thus that trait was desirable.

Maybe we can say "stout = exaggerated preferred trait" :D

I'm sorry... the fluidity of language is always a fascinating topic, but I have to say you are seriously reaching here. Normally I wouldn't bother arguing something in a thread like this, but your (possibly unintentional) characterization of "beer noobs" as absolute idiots is just beyond wrong.

Beer noobs aren't necessarily any stupider than beer geeks. They know what dark means. But since dark is a relative term, one can only compare beers to their own sense of what an average beer is - and in their case, it happens to be light lagers. So when they pick up an IPA and say it's dark, even though we consider them to be lighter, or "pale", beers, they don't mean strong, they literally mean dark. If you give them a rich, 10% Belgian Golden Strong Ale - a "strong" beer even by most beer geeks' standards - that also happens to sit at 3 SRM, not even beer noobs are going to seriously call it "dark" just because it's strong (assuming they're not in the absolute LOWEST percentiles of intelligence). I'm not going to say NOBODY would ever call it dark, since some people might even have their perceptions clouded by certain expectations of homebrew/craft beer (e.g. my dad smelled a Munich Helles I was drinking before taking a sip, and remarked that it smelled strong, as he does with everything that I drink.)

On the other hand, if you pour a beer noob a can of Guinness Draught, whose watery taste and ABV of around 4% makes it quite a weak beer by any measure, they're still going to note that it's dark as hell, and are pretty much guaranteed to tell you that it is much darker than the Belgian Golden Strong. It can be fun to make fun of beer noobs' ignorance on the subject, but being a light lager drinker doesn't make a person so mentally handicapped that they confuse the meaning of dark.

And while I'm at it, I'll just add that "strong" is merely one definition of "stout", and not even close to the most commonly used. Outside of beer, it has been primarily used for quite some time now to describe a person who is actually fat, portly, rotund, etc. And next to that, it's seen far more usage as a synonym for "bold." And "bold" actually seems like a pretty good way to describe the heavy roastiness of a typical stout, especially when you consider that "stout" is merely a shortened form for the original name of the style, "stout porter". In other words, it was used to describe a bolder version of porter, which seems like a reasonably accurate use of the word to me.

yeah id agree most people wouldnt say strong means dark, but certainly many think dark means strong

and as for the etymology:
c.1300, "proud, valiant, strong," from O.Fr. estout "brave, fierce, proud," earlier estolt "strong," from W.Gmc. *stult- "proud, stately" (cf. M.L.G. stolt "stately, proud," Ger. stolz "proud, haughty, arrogant, stately"), from PIE base *stel- "to put, stand." Meaning "strong in body, powerfully built" is attested from late 14c., but has been displaced by the (often euphemistic) meaning "thick-bodied, fat and large," which is first recorded 1804. Original sense preserved in stout-hearted (1550s). The noun "strong, dark-brown beer" is first recorded 1670s, from the adjective.

the word stout meant strong before it meant just large, and it meant strong beer before it ever meant fat or portly

and i dont think stout porter was ever a more bold or roasty style than the standard porter, it was just brewed to a higher gravity

im not sure when stout came to mean more roasty than porter, could have been done by the folks over at bjcp fairly recently

Back