The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bknifefight said:
Unless the kits they are buying contain old ingredients or are a recipe put together by someone who doesn't know what their doing, there is nothing sad about that. It's no different than looking up a recipe on here and ordering the ingredients, if you ask me.

AG brewers are usually way more geeked than extract brewers. You could have whole conversations about malts, mashing technique etc that you couldn't have with an extract brewer. He didn't say that extract beer wasn't good.

bknifefight said:
Unless the kits they are buying contain old ingredients or are a recipe put together by someone who doesn't know what their doing, there is nothing sad about that. It's no different than looking up a recipe on here and ordering the ingredients, if you ask me.

I'm guessing he is referring more specifically to "kit & kilo" kits, such as Cooper's or Morgan's. So called because it comes with a can of pre-hopped liquid extract (the kit), to which you are instructed to add a substantial amount of corn sugar (the kilo).

In that case, yeah, I'd say it's sad.

AG brewers are usually way more geeked than extract brewers. You could have whole conversations about malts, mashing technique etc that you couldn't have with an extract brewer. He didn't say that extract beer wasn't good.

I don't know how this got turned into a comment on extract vs AG. You can buy a recipe kit for an AG beer the same as you can for an extract beer.

UNLESS emjay is right and he is talking about the Cooper's prehopped extract kits. Then, it is kinda sad.

She Who Must Also Be Obeyed. Usually reserved for men with adult daughters living at home, polyamorous lesbians, and mormons.

I'd be sad because I didn't find someone to go in on a batch of grain with.

That said.... Why the heck would I take orders from either of my daughters?

Just last week I had a similar type of comment others have received. A friend who really was being nice and wanted to try the two beers I brought to a party (despite him not being a beer drinker...though he'll drink newcastle and never BMC)..

Says to me, after tasting a hefeweizen I had made that was a bit fruity, "I can really taste the hops". I had to correct him right away. "Ummm....No you didn't, this is not a hoppy beer." I than gave him an IPA to teach him what hops was.

But I forgive him this lack of beer knoweldge - as he knows more about single malt scotch than anyone I know, and has gotten me hooked down that drunken path a few times.

Just a comment on BMC.Here.
Went to my Fiance's pre thanksgiveing with most people i have never met.Around noon. Noticed this big guy drinking a few coors lights.Then a 30 pack of bucsh lite rolls in a few hours later after a beer run. Noticed he starts drinking a few of those.
Hostess says to him" how many beers you had,why you drinkining all my beer? He replies Only" 3- those 4 coors light i had earlier were like water"
I almost laughed out loud- he wouldnt have know what i was laughing about though.He probably would think i was agreeing with him meaning Yeah i agree with you coors light-water, busch lite-not water. BMC beer drinker snobbing other bmc beer.
I just contiinued drinking my one coors light offered to me, that tasted pretty corn like,even noticed some esters.Been some time.

Just a comment on BMC.Here.
Went to my Fiance's pre thanksgiveing with most people i have never met.Around noon. Noticed this big guy drinking a few coors lights.Then a 30 pack of bucsh lite rolls in a few hours later after a beer run. Noticed he starts drinking a few of those.
Hostess says to him" how many beers you had,why you drinkining all my beer? He replies Only" 3- those 4 coors light i had earlier were like water"
I almost laughed out loud- he wouldnt have know what i was laughing about though.He probably would think i was agreeing with him meaning Yeah i agree with you coors light-water, busch lite-not water. BMC beer drinker snobbing other bmc beer.
I just contiinued drinking my one coors light offered to me, that tasted pretty corn like,even noticed some esters.Been some time.

Good story.

I like having a Busch or Miller Lite now and again. It helps me maintain some perspective on all the good stuff I drink

Good story.

I like having a Busch or Miller Lite now and again. It helps me maintain some perspective on all the good stuff I drink

no kidding... it had been a while and last week I went out with some people. I had a glass of bud light... holly crap... I used to be able to tolerate that stuff... apparently I am spoiling myself with good beer. O well... back to brewing! :tank:

This one is not so stupid as funny. Background: my wife doesn't like beer of any sort. Liquor is a no go. There have been a couple sweet wines that she could manage. She is a good sport though and will take a taste of each of my brews. I just gave her a sample of my old ale just a few minutes ago. She said it tasted like death. I pushed her further and she said tires and ass, like everything black and soulless.

Tires and ass!! That's got me laughing out loud! Sounds like something my old lady would say...

I just stumbled on this thread and I'm sure it's probably been said before but mine was from my brother that tasted a brown ale I brewed -

"It's pretty good but have you ever brewed a real beer like bud lite or miller?"

Get out.

I have heard so many, I don't even know where to begin. Most recent was at my niece's wedding reception. I had made 2 cornys of Helles and one of Marzen. Niece told her friends I had been brewing since the 80s, worked for Rogue, Bell's and so on... Someone asked how much alcohol was in the Helles "it's really strong"...

"about 5%, like Budweiser"

"Oh no, it's much stronger than that!"

And continued to argue with me when I explained...

WTF? I made it, I have made A LOT of beer... I know how much GDMFing alcohol is in it!

Hahaha, that's a good one. It amazes me when people argue with me about the contents of beer that I made. Reminds me of a similar line -

Friend: "I don't drink homebrew anymore - that alcohol is extra potent, knocks me out faster than normal alcohol."
Me: "But this one's only 4% ABV..."
Friend: "Yeah, but it's a really strong 4%, probably like a commercial 8%"
Me: "Yup, that must be right.

My friend just made his first batch and someone said (behind his back) it tastes "like vinegar and ass"

It was a delicous alt ale that tasted like fresh ekg hops and malty goodness...

Reading through this, it makes me feel fortunate that none of my friends or family are BMC drinkers. Many are even beer snobs. Mostly I've just been getting very shocked responses that my beer is as good or better than micros.

My FIL keeps asking if it's safe, and he initially asked if it was even legal. I think he has visions me serving massive quantities of methanol. He'll still only have a few sips at a time. I think he assumes the risk of poison is high, so he wants to limit his exposure.

Spent Christmas with SWMBO's family, and gave home brew as Christmas presents. Actually got lots of compliments, but did hear a few things that made me slap my forehead.

Sis-in-law: "I hear that some people don't like to drink their beer if it's really, really cold. They say it doesn't taste as good."

Brother-in-law's father, after pouring my stout: "This looks like grape juice."

But everybody loved the beer, so I'm happy.

RedGuitar said:
Spent Christmas with SWMBO's family, and gave home brew as Christmas presents. Actually got lots of compliments, but did hear a few things that made me slap my forehead.

Sis-in-law: "I hear that some people don't like to drink their beer if it's really, really cold. They say it doesn't taste as good.

She's right about that. My ESB tastes better as it warms. Its good straight out of the kegerator, but gets better closer to cellar temps. One commercial example is Hobgoblin. Had to let that one sit in the glass for awhile before enjoying

Not so much a stupid comment as they were hilarious reactions. I had my BiL try a couple of my homebrews "eergghhhhh". For the record my FiL loved them both.

Next I sprang the Southern Tier Krampus Imperial Helles Lager on my BiL. I wish I had a picture because he had the Keystone bitter beer face in a major way and was sputtering "ewweerrrghhh, so bitter!". Then I gave a sample of the same beer to my mom. She took a sip, said "it's somewhat bitter", and drank the rest. I told my BiL to hand in his man card as he had just been outdrunk by a septuagenarian female.

southern-tier-krampus.jpg

The dumbest comment I've ever gotten is the same damn comment I get everytime the dumb hillbilly my Mom dates tries any of my beers. "Woo, damn, you liiike that strowng beer doncha?". Never f'ing fails. He's said it about every thing from a blonde on up. Drives me nucking futs.

A compliment I just got - not the first time, but dumb nonetheless...

"Wow, it doesn't taste like homebrew..."

Oh, and how could I forget... not about my homebrew, but said after giving my dad a taste of an RIS (which, incidentally, is widely ranked as the *#1 beer brewed in Canada*):

"Ughh... that's worse than stout!"

EllisTX said:
The dumbest comment I've ever gotten is the same damn comment I get everytime the dumb hillbilly my Mom dates tries any of my beers. "Woo, damn, you liiike that strowng beer doncha?". Never f'ing fails. He's said it about every thing from a blonde on up. Drives me nucking futs.

Look at him as serious as you can manage and tell him you like manly beers, not wine coolers....

Tonight, sitting around the bonfire at a buddy's house, gave my brother (who had been drinking Michelob Ultra all night) a sample of my 9% ABV Jameson Oaked Stout, his response (after making a horrible face):
"Man, that is a lot different than a Mich Ultra."

Yes. Yes it is. And that's why I love it.

I have a house wheat that is pretty good. I feel validated in that statement as I have three coworkers with pending "orders" for the stuff. I proudly took some to a neighborhood party. My buddies wife (big drinker) drank a bottle and declared " That's really good! It tastes just like my Mr. Beer kit from college"
I took the bottle from her hand and walked away.

...I sprang the Southern Tier Krampus Imperial Helles Lager on my BiL. I wish I had a picture because he had the Keystone bitter beer face in a major way and was sputtering "ewweerrrghhh, so bitter!". Then I gave a sample of the same beer to my mom. She took a sip, said "it's somewhat bitter", and drank the rest. I told my BiL to hand in his man card as he had just been outdrunk by a septuagenarian female.

southern-tier-krampus.jpg

:rockin::ban::ban::rockin:

I was recently told that my Cream Stout needed more malted hops.

A little while later when the keg kicked, the same person was upset that I didn't have any more and wanted to know when I'd be brewing it again.

I'll be sure to add a bunch more malted hops. I think I can get them from the same distributor that Bass was using...

I had a buddy who would grab the glass, quickly circle the glass under his nose, take a sip and reply, "that's different."
Same routine everytime. Finally I asked him to explain exactly what it was different than. He said "i dunno."

Back