The Stigma of Beer (and drinking in general)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmcq

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There's something that's been churning through my brain lately..

I was saying to a friend "I can't wait to get home and have a few beers."

He said: "Rough day, huh?"

"Umm, no.. had a great great.. can't think of a better way to top it off than with a few beers..."

So why is it that having some beers (or drinks) always seems synonymous with having a bad day?

My guess is that it's because alcohol is a mood-altering drug and saying that you're going home to have "a few beers" suggests that you're looking to alter your mood.

I'm not suggesting that's what you were doing, only how it might be perceived.

I can't remember when someone didn't mention drinking with a bad day. Frankly, if I am having a truly bad day I tend to back away from alcohol all together. I like the taste of beer, I don't think I've ever set out to get hammered. It has happened, it will continue, but I don't think I've ever said I was going to get hammered and that was my one and only goal.

So why is it that having some beers (or drinks) always seems synonymous with having a bad day?

Marketing perceptions. People often need something in movie or TV like a drink or smoke to alter their mood. Like they're mad so they need a drink, stressed, need a smoke, sad, need a drink, etc.

Reality is that I often drink for no particular reason. Sometimes I drink because I'm sad, sometimes because I'm happy, sometimes because I'm bored. But typically I have a drink because I like it.

My best comparison is food. "Comfort" is food that's typically high in fat and often associated with filling a need, sometimes for me the need is that I want some damned Mac and Cheese.

Interesting though, is watching food advertisement. Notice the common theme of pretty much every food or beverage commercial except for booze is to show people comforting images.

"Umm, no.. had a great great.. can't think of a better way to top it off than with a few beers..."

Maybe its not the way alcohol is perceived, but the way the "I can't wait to......" is said. Maybe they assume since you can't wait to be doing something different than what you're doing right now, that you might be having a rough day. Just a thought.

If I said "I can't wait to get home and relax on the couch", I'd expect someone to have a similar reaction, in that they thought I might be having a bad day.

I don't really get why people still associate it with bad days. Alcohol's a bit of a depressant.

A lot of what people think seems to come from media which romanticizes things for this or that reason.

Yeah, why not have a beer or two in the morning and avoid the bad day altogether??

:mug:

Maybe its not the way alcohol is perceived, but the way the "I can't wait to......" is said. Maybe they assume since you can't wait to be doing something different than what you're doing right now, that you might be having a rough day. Just a thought.

If I said "I can't wait to get home and relax on the couch", I'd expect someone to have a similar reaction, in that they thought I might be having a bad day.

Quite insightful.

Yeah, why not have a beer or two in the morning and avoid the bad day altogether??

Did I mention that I LOVE being retired? :D

I'm actually working a bit right now, filling in at the hospital in clerk-type positions and it's great because I work rarely and get to have fun. If I had to do it daily, I'd take up heavy drinking to cope, I"m sure. :drunk:

Unfortunately, we are all ingrained with the "beer is for guys who like to eat pizza" message from TV commercials or worse that drinking is a way to cope and "relax". Of course, there are people who do use alcohol as a crutch and that is a very real problem and is no joking matter.

I have had people assume I"m an alcoholic because I brew, and I"m small. I'm like "huh? what does my size have to do with it?" And guess what? I've actually had people tell me that beer drinkers have beer guts, but alcoholics are skinny!

It just goes to show you that people are ignorant, not that beer drinkers are an issue. In fact, the latest AHA survey results showed that something like 69% of homebrewers have college degrees and many advanced degrees.

So, by that logic, beer drinkers and brewers are smarter than the general population if you ask me!

Alcohol is a depressant, but in that context it means it is the opposite of stimulant, in that it acts to depress the body, not necessarily the mind. It can slow metabolism (And can slow the rate at which you burn calories...) but while it's slowing your heart rate, it's also often lowering your fears and inhibitions, usually providing a relief to stress. In the right amounts alcohol can do a very good job of easing you out of a stressful situation, such as a crazy day at work, home problems, etc.

The problem is that it's often used past the point at which it is beneficial, and often used as a crutch instead of a band-aid. The underlying cause of the stress remains, while the person continues to try to drink to overcome the stress. Then they end up drinking too much and too much alcohol makes you feel bad (at least it does for me!)

I think the biggest problem with drinking alcohol in the morning is having to drive and operate equipment and make smart business decisions.

But I do know a collection agency that doesn't say anything when their employees have a drink or two at lunch. They have very stressful jobs and the drink help relax them and generally improves their performance because they are able to talk to people on the phone without getting as upset.

I think it is the bold part that makes people assume you have a rough day

My opinion is that most people do not really understand the concept of drinking a beer or two for enjoyment. Most people I know are of the mentality of "Whatever gets me from Point A to Point Drunk". These are the people who do not look forward to drinking one or two drinks without getting bombed or feed a need. I am sure many of us would be construed as alcoholics especially since we make alcohol in addition to drinking it.

True the cant wait part probably did not help things.

I blame BMC. When beer is cheap, "smooth", "clean" (meaning- flavorless) so that it can be guzzled out of "suitcases" super cheap- that gives beer a stigma- beer is for getting drunk.

Still, even with craft beer growing so fast, most people don't think of beer equal to fine scotch, bourbon, or wine. Those can be used to get drunk, obviously, as can craft beer, but have a reputation of sophistication that mass lager has destroyed for beer.

Beer does help me relax, occasionally I over-imbibe, but it is more the enjoyment of something I crafted with love, the flavors, the evolution of live beer in the bottle, the desire to progress in my skills that excites me about homebrew.

I guess as with most obsessions, our fast food culture just won't get it.

Yea the mood altering thing, the media, general substance abuse, and alcolhism has affected possibly more people's lives than not.

Perhaps you don't express enough your joy for the thrill of making your own beer to your friend ;)

Way back when alcohol was taken in the morning to warm you up and make you have a good day. Eventually coffee took it's place because it warms you up AND wakes you up.

Society has been in decline ever since.

That's funny because drinking in the morning is viewed so differently in present times.

I agree with the earlier assessment, I rarely share that I brew beer with anyone anymore. Not that I'm ashamed of course, just that there is this stigma that I must have a problem if I brew my own beer.

I'm a little timid about talking about it as well. I should get over that. We all cast judgment at some point, let people think what they want. If they have any integrity or mean anything to you then it wouldn't matter

The irony for me, when I think about it, is that with so much beer in the house I rarely have a pint a day. I think it's also a bit of not wanting to empty the keg, and a bit of savor it as it conditions more. For some reason I drink more when I buy beer

I have several. it just seems to be the perception of people that if you carry one you are an alkie. I wish people understood that a drink is not a bad thing.

In the right amounts alcohol can do a very good job of easing you out of a stressful situation, such as a crazy day at work, home problems, etc.

The underlying cause of the stress remains, while the person continues to try to drink to overcome the stress.

My brain is usually going a zillion miles an hour.. I over-think and always jump to "worst case scenario". A few beers go a long way to getting me to calm the f*ck down and approach the situation with less "fight or flight" and has helped me tremendously with finding the appropriate coping tools to deal with stuff.

Does that make beer a "crutch" for me? Perhaps. But it has worked. I still control *it*... while it has been unable thus far to control me, which is something I need to keep a close eye on, I know.

The irony for me, when I think about it, is that with so much beer in the house I rarely have a pint a day. I think it's also a bit of not wanting to empty the keg, and a bit of savor it as it conditions more. For some reason I drink more when I buy beer

I, too, find that I drink much less when I have homebrew on tap, but have no problem putting down a 12-pack of commercial beer (usually Smithwick's, which is our go-to "cheap" beer). I don't want to even garner a guess into the psychology behind that.

The input thus far is appreciated.. and I see a recurring theme that generally blames BMC. Are we, as fans of craft/micro/home brews, more critical of BMC, therefore more critical of the social message that BMC commercials are ingraining into our brains? Or is there something more to it than that?

I work with and know several teetotalers. Most of them do so on religious grounds. To them, alcohol is just another drug (yet the caffeine in their Coke isn't?), so I don't think they understand that there is a middle-ground between sobriety and car-crashing, wife-beating hammered. On a related note, I think there's also this impression among non-drinkers that all alcohol tastes horrible and people just choke it down as quick as possible to get a buzz, so the notion of savoring one drink because you enjoy the taste of it is foreign.

I'm also of the mindset that a beer can fill the role of a comfort food. I usually have a beer after work while I'm cooking dinner. I don't even have to get anywhere near intoxicated, it's just a nice way to get out of work mode and clear my head...good day or bad day.

I definately have a routine (habit). I get home from work, change into comfy clothes, drink a beer or glass of wine. It is pretty much the same, unless I am working out or doing something else. Would I miss it if I couldn't do it? Hell ya I would.

I am currently out of homebrew. At least out of kegged homebrew. I am used to coming home and pouring a half-glass of homebrew to start chores, maybe cook dinner, or whatever. What sucks is that I'm usually not interested in drinking a full glass of beer at that time. So now I either have to drink a full glass or pour a half and save half for later.

I know a few family members that are basically against all forms of drinking. We were raised Baptist so it was just the matter of course. I'm not sure how they feel about drinking in general at this time because they've known me to be a responsible person even though I have a beer just about every single day. And at one time DANCING was against their beliefs, but that has changed so that the daughter was allowed to drive to Grand Rapids and go swing dancing with some friends. (Some of whom were boys!!)

So it may very well be that moderate drinking is not entirely verboten to them these days.

Yooper said:
I have had people assume I"m an alcoholic because I brew, and I"m small. I'm like "huh? what does my size have to do with it?" And guess what? I've actually had people tell me that beer drinkers have beer guts, but alcoholics are skinny!

Actually... A lot of alcoholics are skinny because the alcohol replaces the food in their diet. I've had the misfortune to know a few serious alcoholics and they don't eat while on a bender.

Alot of the comments regarding the "can't wait to get home..." and do whatever does give the "had a bad day impression." I think if the OP had said "Boy, I can't wait to get home b/c I have a new Pale Malt Mosaic SMaSH that is carbed up and ready to tap...can't wait to try it!" this would have a whole different connotation to the listener perhaps...

Also, some of it is just beer's overall perception. Years ago, I was counselled to leave homebrewing and craft beer out of the conversation on interviews, etc., even if they specifically asked about my hobbies. The person saying this to me clearly identified that beer had some sort of negative connotation...I had asked them something to the effect of "well, what if my hobby was wine tasting or studying to be a sommelier?" and they truly felt that would be fine. It was just the fact that there is still this impression that beer = drunk and wine = refined.

The missing piece of information is that if I were an alcoholic, it is much easier and quicker to just buy booze at the store. Homebrewers are after something far beyond the buzz.

I just said something like that last night. Someone questioned my brewing and how I appeared to be somewhat bummed that I am running out of brew days this year due to holiday travel. I was asked how much beer could I possibly drink and I said I haven't tried to measure, yet. I also said that if there is any consideration for how much free beer people have received from me since the day I started brewing, then that will lead to better understanding about how much beer I could possibly drink. The answer is how much beer can I possibly give out?

My mom asked me a similar question and asked if I have stepped up my drinking as of late. I told her that if I were looking to get hammered then I would just buy my beer. This homebrewing is actually something that requires me to work and after the work is done, I can't even enjoy the product for 4 weeks on the super minimal end of the timeframe. So no, I am not chasing intoxication. :D

I'm sure these all sound like excuses but again, if I were chasing something then I would buy beer. I also wouldn't give it away as I gain absolutely nothing from giving the beer away.

I suggest we turn the tides on these people...next time i see someone eating a candy bar ill say, "trying to get fat eh"?

Or if they say they cant wait to see their significant other because they have been on business for two days, "so you are incapable of independent living"?

Might make me laugh inside if I ever try this haha

Latest posts

Back