The Online Homebrew Supplier Comparison Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which online homebrew store do you shop from the most?

• Austin Homebrew Supply

• Brewmasters Warehouse

• Farmhouse Brewing Supply

• Midwest Supplies

• MoreBeer

• Northern Brewer

• Rebel Brewer

• Williams Brewing

• Other

• I've never bought ingredients online.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I phoned MainBrew yesterday and the guy I talked with gave me this recommendation: "Shipping to California will basically double the price of the grain; it might be best if you just go to your local homebrew shop." Hmm! I inquired about ordering three 50 lb sacks of 2-Row at $30 per; shipping on each sack was estimated to be about $25, so I would have spent $165. When I go to a MoreBeer store, I spend $36 per sack + tax, which comes out to about $120. Shipping bulk grain is a killer.

Supposedly Brewbakers Brewing in Visalia will sell bulk grain at cost.

BrightSpot said:
I phoned MainBrew yesterday and the guy I talked with gave me this recommendation: "Shipping to California will basically double the price of the grain; it might be best if you just go to your local homebrew shop." Hmm! I inquired about ordering three 50 lb sacks of 2-Row at $30 per; shipping on each sack was estimated to be about $25, so I would have spent $165. When I go to a MoreBeer store, I spend $36 per sack + tax, which comes out to about $120. Shipping bulk grain is a killer.

Crazy! I had 65 lbs shipped last week for a total of $66.... I'm only two hours away, but fedex is fedex

120 for 150 pounds of grain isn't bad. My one LHBS sells a 50# for $51. I'm not sure about my other lhbs but when I buy for a single recipe its a straight $2.05/# for all grains. Pretty much evens out in the end for me

Added prices for full sacks of 2-row today. I was actually pretty surprised in the differences in prices between ordering by-the-pound and in bulk. Also added a poll.

rockfish42 said:
Sorry, someone in Visalia posted about it a long while back. I guess I'll stick with driving up to Morebeer or SF Brewcraft.

Actually... they do sell bulk grain!!! Called and the brewer, Randy, called me back. Still don't know the price, but nice dude!!

Post here when you get the info, I head to LA and SD often enough that it would make sense to stop by and do a pick up.

rockfish42 said:
Post here when you get the info, I head to LA and SD often enough that it would make sense to stop by and do a pick up.

I'm expecting a call tomorrow. I'll post right after...

That's what's nice about rebel brewer. There's a super saver shipping option. It's $2.99 to my house(in pa), but I believe it's different costs to each state.

Hmmmm Did Rebel Brewer do away with that shipping option? I put 8 lbs. of grain in my cart just to see what the shipping would be and it came out to be about $14 and I live in Ohio.

Just got an email from Midwest Supplies for $7.95 Flat Rate shipping. It says for a limited time but doesn't specify when it ends. No promo code needed. Sounds like a great deal and will probably place my next order with them.

I use the local home brew shop; BrewGadgets.com they have online sales and a small store not far from my house and they go out of the way to provide excellent service and the owner is an excellent source for knowledge and help. I use both online and got to the store. Also a loyalty program and a discount program ... I highly recommend using their online site. Prompt shipping and the best service!

I use MoreBeer.com often, and ever since the website upgrade, it has been a truly great experience! I order one day, it's shipped the following day, and I receive it the next day. Since I rarely spend less than $59 when I shop, shipping is usually free; since I live only 200 miles from Concord, when I do pay for shipping it's cheap.

Philsberry said:
Looks like Norther Brewer has stopped its $7.99 flat rate shipping

http://www.northernbrewer.com/what-happened-to-your-flat-rate-shipping/

I was initially wondering why they did this because, from what I found, their prices on most products were towards the most expensive of all the popular stores. It looks like they have lowered prices across the board and taken away the flat rate shipping. I'm sure it still ends up being a price increase in the end, but I'll have to update the thread and see how it turns out.

I have basically only used 3 different online suppliers to order my kits/ingredients from.

I got my beginners brewing equipment kit from Midwest as well as my first brewkit which was Hop Head IPA and I just ordered their Furious IPA which I plan on brewing this weekend and I've had no issues.

I've also ordered a lot of ingredients from NB as well as their Apricot Blonde Extract kit and have been impressed with them as well.

But the online store I most frequently buy from is out of Michigan called Adventures In Homebrewing. Bells Brewing Co is probably my favorite brewery and they have some GREAT Bells clones including Oberon and Two Hearted as well as a couple of great Founders clones as well! And I've tried Fat Tire clones from other places and I have to say, AIHB's Fat Tire clone is a step above any others I've tried! And the thing I like most about them is they have a rewards program where you get a $10 gift certificat for every $200 you spend! And the best part is, when I order, I get delivery next day which is awesome! I'd highly recommend checking out their website I linked!

Unfortunately, the closest LHBS is about an hour's drive from me so I don't really consider them to be a LHBS...

Other - Adventures in Homebrewing.
I have got some great deals from them with fast shipping.

*disappointment* wish this thread hadn't died.... looking for best source for bulk grains, seems like midwest and all those that claim flat rate shipping don't include sacks of grain on that.

*disappointment* wish this thread hadn't died.... looking for best source for bulk grains, seems like midwest and all those that claim flat rate shipping don't include sacks of grain on that.

Unless you live within driving distance of a major online HBS, the cost to ship grains is prohibitive.

Try your local HBS. A lot of times they run specials on grain by the bag.

Also ask at your local micro-brewery (if you have one). I've been able to piggy-back on their grain buys and get base grains on the cheap.

Also check these forums for Grain-Buys near you. I've been able to get some good prices on bulk grain by that means.

Good luck!

Unless you live within driving distance of a major online HBS, the cost to ship grains is prohibitive.

Try your local HBS. A lot of times they run specials on grain by the bag.

Also ask at your local micro-brewery (if you have one). I've been able to piggy-back on their grain buys and get base grains on the cheap.

Also check these forums for Grain-Buys near you. I've been able to get some good prices on bulk grain by that means.

Good luck!

Thanks!

There are a few micros here in Knoxville, one or two stand out that I may be able to persuade.

There's only one LHBS, they charge the equivalent to buy and ship online for their sacks of grain.

The local home brew club does grain buys about 3 times a year, I'll probably be joining back up with the club to participate in those. Is there a sticky thread or group on here for finding local buys? i hadn't noticed it before.

Thanks!

There are a few micros here in Knoxville, one or two stand out that I may be able to persuade.

There's only one LHBS, they charge the equivalent to buy and ship online for their sacks of grain.

The local home brew club does grain buys about 3 times a year, I'll probably be joining back up with the club to participate in those. Is there a sticky thread or group on here for finding local buys? i hadn't noticed it before.

Here you go: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/

Latest posts

Back