Battle of the Homebrew Stores, Part II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the online vendors are cheaper than the local homebrew shop I go to. However, when you factor in shipping, and the fact that I get a 10% discount at the local homebrew shop (North Texas Homebrewers Association), it generally comes out cheaper or close when going local.

I would love to have a local homebrew shop, but I am stationed in Japan. So I shop online with anyone who ships USPS. Which means mostly from Morebeer and Midwest, hops from Freshops, preferably flat rate. I would love to go through some of the online stores that carry wider varieties of malt I would like to try, but it costs me double shipping if they don't send USPS to go through a reshipping company, so Northern Brewer---- use the post office please!

I would love to have a local homebrew shop, but I am stationed in Japan. So I shop online with anyone who ships USPS. Which means mostly from Morebeer and Midwest, hops from Freshops, preferably flat rate. I would love to go through some of the online stores that carry wider varieties of malt I would like to try, but it costs me double shipping if they don't send USPS to go through a reshipping company, so Northern Brewer---- use the post office please!

I dunno if you've seen this guy's webpage about homebrewing in Japan, but he does list a few resources that are closer than getting stuff from Midwest.

For what it's worth I could have sworn I saw some guy's blog who was brewing in Japan that had found a retail source for grains, etc. I can recall seeing a pic of bags of grain sitting on shelves...just can't find it now. I would have to imagine if you were to find such a thing, it would almost have to be in the Tokyo/Yokohama area, or maybe Osaka.

Back