American IPA The New West Coast IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree. I think 4lbs/barrel is pretty standard these days. And for us If you want 5 gallons into a keg that means a 12 oz dry hop on 6 gallons on beer.

@JTtilinfinity i love your recipe plan, thats how I structure my hopping for IPAs, I just have no experience with Mackenzie

But hey no shame if someone wants a smaller dry hop, still can make a delicious beer that way.
Thanks for the feedback! Have you used Galaxy in this recipe? Wondering if I should swap it out for more Mosaic to keep it simple or swap for something like Amarillo. I just started the boil on this batch and im at that predictable point where I start second guessing the recipe lol

I've ordered the grains to give this style a try. Since I'm growing Cascade and Centennial hops, (first year plants so none of mine will go into this) I want to lean on those to get a feel for what I might expect down the road.

6.3%abv
45.5 ibu

Barke Pilsner 71.5%
Rahr 2-Row 28.5%

Cellar Science Cali

.75oz Magnum @60
.50oz Cascade @10
.50oz Centennial @10
1.25oz Cascade @wp 170
1.25oz Centennial wp @170
3.25oz Cascade dh
3.25 Centennial dh
1.5oz Citra

If anybody has $125 they are trying to git rid of, Beer Advocate is selling a box of 12 American IPAs. It contains beers from several of the big names in American IPAs (and I suspect several of them would fit into the "New West Coast IPA" category). I am tempted, especially since I live on the East Coast, so I don't have access to many of the California breweries included. I am reluctant because of the price (over $10 per can!) I am a bit leery about having IPAs shipped to me in June. There is not a lot of detail here about the grain bills, but most of the listing include the hops used.

Order Page:
https://halftimebeverage.com/beeradvocate-west-coast-ipa-box-pre-order-67745
Thread:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/west-coast-ipa-box-2023.672796/

If anybody has $125 they are trying to git rid of, Beer Advocate is selling a box of 12 American IPAs. It contains beers from several of the big names in American IPAs (and I suspect several of them would fit into the "New West Coast IPA" category). I am tempted, especially since I live on the East Coast, so I don't have access to many of the California breweries included. I am reluctant because of the price (over $10 per can!) I am a bit leery about having IPAs shipped to me in June. There is not a lot of detail here about the grain bills, but most of the listing include the hops used.

Order Page:
Thread:
Hard pass for me.

$10 per is steep, though not especially a deal breaker (I regularly buy wine near an order of magnitude higher, per bottle), but the other reasons you listed clearly make sense. I do like a well-crafted IPA, though the new wave of hazies and tropical fruit bombs don’t float my boat. I’d hate to blow a C-note +25% for something that I might find <10% satisfying.

So I made a first draft recipe with Nelson, Citra and Strata.
Does this look OK or should I change the ratios of the 3 hops to be different than 1:1:1?
FG is estimated to be 1.012 if I mash at 66oC for 1 hour.

1684835782788.png

When do you guys add the Biofine? I figured it belonged after fermentation, and I didn't want to open the carboy and expose it to air. I used to use it and know it works but that was prior to changing my methods to avoid O2 exposure (and my beer flavors last far longer now as a result).

I also add some Munich to my Pale Ale base, and a little Caramel 40 as well. I typically play around with Cascade and Centennial in various ratios, amounts and times of addition. Never unhappy with the result. My last batch on tap now was about 2/3 Centennial, 1/3 Cascade, with whirpool and dry additions. With the 1272 American II yeast I truly get "tangerine" from it and am really enjoying it right now.
How did the 1272 flocc out for you? My last batch I did use gelatin along with American Ale I. It dropped crystal clear but I can definitely tell it's been exposed to oxygen now that the beer is several months old. Great beer though.

I'm planning another batch this week and I'm hoping I can get away with no cold side finings if I use 1272 and time. Haha.

Anyone have any cold side friendly methods of dining? I've basically given up on anything besides time for all my beers due to oxidation concerns associated with gelatine, etc.

Wondering if anyone has a better solution.

Anyone have any cold side friendly methods of dining? I've basically given up on anything besides time for all my beers due to oxidation concerns associated with gelatine, etc.

add finings during dryhop, biofine, pvpp whatever works best for you

Planning my first attempt at this style tomorrow. Thoughts on this hop bill? Anyone have experience with McKenzie both hot and cold side?

I want to pull some of the dank/pine out of McKenzie for that west coast bitterness but balance with the fruit salad Galaxy/Mosaic combo.

View attachment 820324

Just kegged this batch a few days ago and it’s pretty solid! Nice bitterness up front, a little “green” but hoping that fades to let the citrus/tropical notes to come through a bit. It has a really nice fruity aroma.

Turns out my SilaFine had solidified due to sitting out in my basement (guess it should be stored in the fridge?) so this may end up being a hazy Wcipa 🤷‍♂️ 😆. Not too worried about that though, especially if it develops the way I hope it will.

Attachments

• FE9F8D7F-981F-4740-9340-1D145FBB4BE1.jpeg
    FE9F8D7F-981F-4740-9340-1D145FBB4BE1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I’ve only used biofine but have buddies that use silifine. Didn’t think either needed to be refrigerated after opening but I did notice a partial 1oz bottle of biofine crystallized but the lid wasn’t air tight shut. Perhaps that’s the issue? Congrats on the beer

When clarity is important to me and yeah it is for WCIPA and lagers, I use gelatin. I’m pretty maniacal about avoiding o2 so I use the “chino gelatin cannon” or whatever people call it. Dissolve gelatin in warm water (pre boil if you think it helps DO), add to water bottle, mix in 20mcg of k meta, use a carb carp and squeeze the bottle to totally purge the bottle of air, purge with co2, use positive pressure and a jumper line to squeeze it in on the gas side post. Shake the keg some to mix and it’s crystal clear in about 3 days. I only store these beers cold and they have no trouble lasting 8 weeks. I’m sure you could do a similar process with biofine et al.

But yeah, if freshness is the biggest goal, just give it time and use a floating dip tube!

Last edited:
You don't need carapils for rocky head. Just a long alpha rest. Pressure ferm helps too. Get you that mousse! ;)
I was totally unaware that pressure fermentation helped head retention. All the more reason to try one. Brewing a ‘Clawhammer’ type < 0.5% ABV beer, so not much body. Does this trick help with low O.G. thin body beers?

I was totally unaware that pressure fermentation helped head retention. All the more reason to try one. Brewing a ‘Clawhammer’ type < 0.5% ABV beer, so not much body. Does this trick help with low O.G. thin body beers?
I have no experience with NA-ish beers, so I can't really say. I can say that a long alpha rest (30-60 minutes around 160-163F) will give you long-lasting head with most if not all beers.

Edit: this turned out great and well represents how I’ve adjusted this recipe since my OP. I’m still big on base malts only and at least some pils. I’ve moved toward more hot side ibus (but still pretty modest) and even lower FG, targeting 1.006-1.008. Still think a big dry hop is key, 12oz for 5 gallons finished volume.

Here’s my latest take. Split batch final volume into kegs 6 gallons
80% GW 2-row, 20% weyerman pils.

Hot side: total 65 ibus
Warrior 22ibus
Idaho 7 1oz at 15 minutes
Mosaic 5oz and Chinook 1oz in WP ()

DH Split 1: citra, simcoe, cascade
DH split 2: citra, Bru-1
Both DH 8oz per 3 gallons finished vol AT 68F near the end of fermentation on day 7 but it creeped down for 6 more days! Finished at 1.006.

It’s a spectacular beer. Aromatic, crisp, I was worried about the low FG but still plenty of body, I credit the hopping rates. Amazingly everyone I give it to prefers the simco/cascade DH beer - it’s just more hoppy, sticky, citrus and the bru-1 is light and floral. It’s easy to forget how great these more classic hops are 👍🏻 I’m really glad I’ve got this for the hot summer weather that started this week instead of a hazy!

Brew on!
IMG_4214.jpegIMG_4216.jpegIMG_4216.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4220.jpeg
    IMG_4220.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Here’s my latest take. Split batch final volume into kegs 6 gallons
80% GW 2-row, 20% weyerman pils.

Hot side: total 65 ibus
Warrior 22ibus
Idaho 7 at 15 minutes
Mosaic and Chinook in WP (6oz)

DH Split 1: citra, simcoe, cascade
DH split 2: citra, Bru-1
Both DH 8oz per 3 gallons finished vol AT 68F near the end of fermentation on day 7 but it creeped down for 6 more days! Finished at 1.006.

It’s a spectacular beer. Aromatic, crisp, I was worried about the low FG but still plenty of body, I credit the hopping rates. Amazingly everyone I give it to prefers the simco/cascade DH beer - it’s just more hoppy, sticky, citrus and the bru-1 is light and floral. It’s easy to forget how great these more classic hops are 👍🏻 I’m really glad I’ve got this for the hot summer weather that started this week instead of a hazy!

Brew on!
View attachment 823098View attachment 823099View attachment 823100
My two “taster beers” before dinner tonight were a 3 Floyds Zombie Dust and a New Belgium VooDoo Ranger. I’d forgotten how good both those beers are. The Ranger probably tastes about like your DH1 recipe, and the Ranger tastes really good.

This guy is hilarious. I think he might be onto something with a touch of columbus in dry hop. I like that too. Used too much last time but plan to add a touch again. Maybe 1 oz/6G in dry hop. Centennial in whirlpool gave me great results too.

This guy is hilarious. I think he might be onto something with a touch of columbus in dry hop. I like that too. Used too much last time but plan to add a touch again. Maybe 1 oz/6G in dry hop. Centennial in whirlpool gave me great results too.
I have not listened to that episode (still working through the prior one). I find that Columbus gives that American Hop vibe. Some dank with a bit of pine, resin and citrus, but in a way that none of them stand out. I like it a lot as a early and late boil hop addition. I was not that crazy about the one recent beer where I recall using it as a dry hop, but maybe in a smaller percentage it would work well. Centennial is one of my favorites for the boil or dry hop.

I have not listened to that episode (still working through the prior one). I find that Columbus gives that American Hop vibe. Some dank with a bit of pine, resin and citrus, but in a way that none of them stand out. I like it a lot as a early and late boil hop addition. I was not that crazy about the one recent beer where I recall using it as a dry hop, but maybe in a smaller percentage it would work well. Centennial is one of my favorites for the boil or dry hop.
I have only brewed a couple IPAs this year due to venturing out into other styles but I do enjoy Columbus a ton onthe hot side and Ive often used a touch of it (1-2oz max) on the DH to help bring that character through to the final product

I have only brewed a couple IPAs this year due to venturing out into other styles but I do enjoy Columbus a ton onthe hot side and Ive often used a touch of it (1-2oz max) on the DH to help bring that character through to the final product

Only 1 batch this way, but I loved my last modern west coast with 2oz lupomax columbus & 4/4oz of strata/simcoe in a 5 gallon batch.

So 20%? Think that’s about what GhostTown brewer likes.

Last edited:

Order Page:
Thread:
Living in the SF Bay area and liking a good IPA, I can tell you I have heard of none of these. LOL.

Made a take on this recently using a third-use 34/70 cake:

IzgIRzC.png

Grist:
60% Best Pils
30% Fawcett Golden Promise
10% Ireks Vienna

Hops:
Warrior @ 60mins (31 IBU)
El Dorado @ WP (12 IBU)
Amarillo @ WP (6.5 IBU)
Amarillo, Amarillo Lupomax, El Dorado, El Dorado Lupomax @ DH (150g total for a 4 gal batch)
El Dorado hop terpenes

Fermented at 62F. Water was about 150 chloride to 100 sulfate.

Super happy with it. I think next time I'd go a bit more bitter and maybe shift the Lupomax (or similar) to the WP rather than DH, but this is a tasty beer.

Very nice! What was OG/FG? I’ve found big pitches of 34/70 to dry out nicely. If it did I would have guessed this was firmly bitter, so interesting!

IzgIRzC.png

Grist:
60% Best Pils
10% Ireks Vienna

Hops:
El Dorado @ WP (12 IBU)
Amarillo @ WP (6.5 IBU)
Amarillo, Amarillo Lupomax, El Dorado, El Dorado Lupomax @ DH (150g total for a 4 gal batch)
El Dorado hop terpenes

Super happy with it. I think next time I'd go a bit more bitter and maybe shift the Lupomax (or similar) to the WP rather than DH, but this is a tasty beer.

Sounds great! Using 34/70 is high on my to-do list in brewing this take on west coast. From listening to several recent podcasts, it seems many west-coast brewers will use chico or 34/70 depending on ingredients. I think Brynildson prefers 34/70 when using southern hemi hops.

Very nice! What was OG/FG? I’ve found big pitches of 34/70 to dry out nicely. If it did I would have guessed this was firmly bitter, so interesting!
I hit my expected FG but missed my OG by a good chunk. Plan was for it to go 1.064->1.011 and it ended up 1.057->1.011. About 6% instead of 7%.

It's definitely bitter enough, I think I just want a little more in a WCIPA, even the new school variety. Flipping the chloride/sulfate ratio might help, too.

Sounds great! Using 34/70 is high on my to-do list in brewing this take on west coast. From listening to several recent podcasts, it seems many west-coast brewers will use chico or 34/70 depending on ingredients. I think Brynildson prefers 34/70 when using southern hemi hops.
Yeah, afaik Bob Kunz from HPB also uses 34/70 for all of his clear IPAs.

IzgIRzC.png

Grist:
60% Best Pils
10% Ireks Vienna

Hops:
El Dorado @ WP (12 IBU)
Amarillo @ WP (6.5 IBU)
El Dorado hop terpenes

Could you share some tasting notes? I just brewed an Amarillo/El Dorado/Strata IPA, I also just had a really good local Amarillo/Strata IPA so I'm trying to piece it all together.

Could you share some tasting notes? I just brewed an Amarillo/El Dorado/Strata IPA, I also just had a really good local Amarillo/Strata IPA so I'm trying to piece it all together.
Let me get back to you the next time I pour a pint. I don't drink beer three days a week, and today's my last day off for this week. :D

IzgIRzC.png

Grist:
60% Best Pils
10% Ireks Vienna

Hops:
El Dorado @ WP (12 IBU)
Amarillo @ WP (6.5 IBU)
El Dorado hop terpenes

I was thinking about using 34/70 after hearing a podcast by pro brewers using it in ipa. I was wondering how it is possible to avoid diacetyl with a dry-hopped beer using 34/70. I assume you either have to use aldc or make sure hop creep is finished before racking to keg? The yeast can be active down to freezing so it seems it would always be prone to diacetyl.

I was thinking about using 34/70 after hearing a podcast by pro brewers using it in ipa. I was wondering how it is possible to avoid diacetyl with a dry-hopped beer using 34/70. I assume you either have to use aldc or make sure hop creep is finished before racking to keg? The yeast can be active down to freezing so it seems it would always be prone to diacetyl.
I honestly haven't had issues with diacetyl even fermenting at 50 with lagers and no d-rest. I think the key is having enough healthy yeast and giving them the time to do the work. ALDC would certainly help if you want to move faster, though.

Sorry, just coming back to this!

On the nose I get mostly lemony/orangey citrus with some green/vegetal and some red berry.

On the palate it's surprisingly malt-forward (probably the Vienna, which I might drop next time in favor of 5%ish carahell or C10, or just a 60/40 pils/2-row bill). When the hops hit, there's a bit of resinous bitterness but again it's mostly citrus (relatively light, to me) and some sweet red berry. Less green on the palate than the nose for sure. Maybe just a hint of diesel/dank.

Not the punchiest combo ever, but it could also be the lots I got, etc. It's very easy-drinking, but to me the hops here hit more like a big pale ale than a typical IPA.

Sorry, just coming back to this!

On the nose I get mostly lemony/orangey citrus with some green/vegetal and some red berry.

On the palate it's surprisingly malt-forward (probably the Vienna, which I might drop next time in favor of 5%ish carahell or C10, or just a 60/40 pils/2-row bill). When the hops hit, there's a bit of resinous bitterness but again it's mostly citrus (relatively light, to me) and some sweet red berry. Less green on the palate than the nose for sure. Maybe just a hint of diesel/dank.

Not the punchiest combo ever, but it could also be the lots I got, etc. It's very easy-drinking, but to me the hops here hit more like a big pale ale than a typical IPA.
Amarillo and especially El Dorado are both not really very punchy hops ime, probably need to up the amounts to get more character ouf of it.

I just used it in the one I posted above. It's not bad, but definitely not as good as I remember.

I just sampled my Strata/Amarillo/El Dorado IPA. Its definitely needs more conditioning time but I'm intrigued by the flavor... lots of strawberry and watermelon.

In general, I like Amarillo but its not punchy. I think its good to round out other hops and add kind of a smooth peachy/floral element.

I remember when I started with all-grain brewing about 10 years ago Amarillo was also my favourite hop for a while. One of the first IPAs I brewed was a Raging B!tch clone with a few ounces of it in the whirlpool. I was impressed that I could make such a nice tasing beer and could really taste the Amarillo. Since then I have more experience with other hops which I prefer and they seem to overpower the Armarillo when in the mix. So it's probably a result of my palate becoming more used to punchy extreme hops since I started with Amarillo back then. I must dig out that old Raging B!tch recipe again though and see how I like it now.

Back