The New Brew Shed aka The Lady Cave

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a basement, unfortunately.

Right there, that changes the entire context of your situation. Not that it matters, but if I lived in your climate and didn't have a basement, I'd be building a brewing shed too.

Finally, there's an update. The electrical is done and inspection passed yesterday! I do have a light I'm going to have installed over the door, but suddenly went back and thought about the awning, so I may offset it to allow for one. Maybe the suggestion for that was a joke, but it wouldn't hurt, especially if it's raining.

Next is drywall, which I have a quote for if I don't want to do it with a buddy. I'm half considering letting someone else do it even if it delays it a couple of weeks aka pay days. Then I'll definitely do the flooring and the table is on me. Lots of stuff to do still, but I'm very excited.

I also just decided that I will cut out the hole for the air vent duct so the drywall can be installed around it. I think that may be better and cleaner.

Finally, there's an update. The electrical is done and inspection passed yesterday! I do have a light I'm going to have installed over the door, but suddenly went back and thought about the awning, so I may offset it to allow for one. Maybe the suggestion for that was a joke, but it wouldn't hurt, especially if it's raining.

Next is drywall, which I have a quote for if I don't want to do it with a buddy. I'm half considering letting someone else do it even if it delays it a couple of weeks aka pay days. Then I'll definitely do the flooring and the table is on me. Lots of stuff to do still, but I'm very excited.

I also just decided that I will cut out the hole for the air vent duct so the drywall can be installed around it. I think that may be better and cleaner.

Awesome! You're going to love it! We bought our house from an inventor, and there is basically a single car garage workshop. Using the RV hose isn't that bad, and having a convenient place for everything will be magic.

If I can make one suggestion, really think about the flooring in there, from the "you are going to spill in there" and a comfort level with a fair amount of standing.

Awesome! You're going to love it! We bought our house from an inventor, and there is basically a single car garage workshop. Using the RV hose isn't that bad, and having a convenient place for everything will be magic.

If I can make one suggestion, really think about the flooring in there, from the "you are going to spill in there" and a comfort level with a fair amount of standing.

I think I will love it indeed.

I was going with linoleum over concrete backer just like in a bathroom. For standing, I thought about a long anti-fatigue mat in front of the brew table just for kicks. I don't really have to stand there the whole time, but it couldn't hurt. I need to carve out time to start and finish the brew table. Since it will be a L-shaped table, it isn't really something I can buy.

I'm sure someone has suggested it, but just in case, epoxy is also water proof and essentially maintenance free. It encapsulates the wood. Some non-skid mixed in and you're done.
Heck, used Epoxy boat bottom paint as a shower surround (over skim coat plaster) for 6 months when I bought house with two tubs and no showers. No damage at all after all that time thought I would not have cared if there had been (gutted that bath to the studs and floor joists after).

I would even say if the floor is OSB, two coats of garage floor epoxy or porch epoxy paint would be plenty fine.

I think I will love it indeed.

I was going with linoleum over concrete backer just like in a bathroom. For standing, I thought about a long anti-fatigue mat in front of the brew table just for kicks. I don't really have to stand there the whole time, but it couldn't hurt. I need to carve out time to start and finish the brew table. Since it will be a L-shaped table, it isn't really something I can buy.

Just something to think about when it comes to flooring and fatigue from standing for long periods of time. Auto factories are getting rid of as many anti fatigue mats as they can and replacing them with wood. Has been found to significantly reduce fatigue from standing.

BTW, great write up. You've really done a good job making sure you considered neighbors, HOA and town requirements as well as asked for advice from people that have done similar builds or re-did their basement to have a brew area.

Wish you lots of success in finishing this out and to be brewing in it soon!

There is an there isn't. I had to ship the panel back to replace a part that was faulty. I just got it back last week. I handed off my kettles to someone to help me drill them, they have the necessary bits for 2" TC and such. That was well over a month ago and they're still not done. I am hoping to see them this weekend.

I got the electrical done and I was going to spend the money to drywall and insulate, but two people have asked why I don't just get a window heat/ac unit and temp control it with the same money I would use on drywall. I can cover the studs with bead board or something else, but I'm half heartedly considering that because if it's 100 degrees outside, that shed is going to be miserable.

I spent the money I would have used to repair a friend's car and pay a couple large bills that they could not pay. That was my drywall budget. March is a big month financially so things are delayed.

At best, once I get my kettles back, I can at least still brew. I don't need drywall or anything like that to brew.

I hurt myself so I've been slow to build anything big, such as my table. I am looking at buying one now, but it's tough to do since I know I can build something real nice.

Anyone have any opinions about not insulating and drywalling and just installing something that will keep it temp controlled? I realize I'm about to open a can of worms here, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask the masses.

There is an there isn't. I had to ship the panel back to replace a part that was faulty. I just got it back last week. I handed off my kettles to someone to help me drill them, they have the necessary bits for 2" TC and such. That was well over a month ago and they're still not done. I am hoping to see them this weekend.

I got the electrical done and I was going to spend the money to drywall and insulate, but two people have asked why I don't just get a window heat/ac unit and temp control it with the same money I would use on drywall. I can cover the studs with bead board or something else, but I'm half heartedly considering that because if it's 100 degrees outside, that shed is going to be miserable.

I spent the money I would have used to repair a friend's car and pay a couple large bills that they could not pay. That was my drywall budget. March is a big month financially so things are delayed.

At best, once I get my kettles back, I can at least still brew. I don't need drywall or anything like that to brew.

I hurt myself so I've been slow to build anything big, such as my table. I am looking at buying one now, but it's tough to do since I know I can build something real nice.

Anyone have any opinions about not insulating and drywalling and just installing something that will keep it temp controlled? I realize I'm about to open a can of worms here, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask the masses.

Well, as for the heating/cooling it would make it more comfortable, but you would definitely want to insulate or you would probably be leaking out what conditioning you do of the air since the lack of would be very inefficient. Additionally during a brew the accumulated heat/moisture would counteract the temperature controlling you are doing in there in part.

On the other hand It would be a lot more comfortable hanging out in there prior to the heating parts when it is cool in the summer/warm in the winter. You could get by with just blank studs for a while, most of the sheds are never finished inside as it is.

Not so much a can of worms as you might think. Your moisture problem goes away (the whole vapor barrier discussion, type of insulation, etc) because what is not exhausted thought the windows will not get trapped behind walls.

Cleaning will be more difficult with just OSB. The cooling/heating costs go up dramatically but not as much in a relatively mild climate like yours verse South Florida or Northern Minnesota.

First off, I hope you are well and not hurt too badly.

As to the shed, I will bet you will want it insulated at some point in the future, but if you mount a window HVAC unit now it will make your shed more usable right now. I would suggest that you insulate behind anything that you mount to the walls permanently. The cost of a roll of fiberglass will seem like nothing when you are ready to finally finish the walls and don't need to do a bunch of dismantling before you can complete the drywall.

First off, I hope you are well and not hurt too badly.

As to the shed, I will bet you will want it insulated at some point in the future, but if you mount a window HVAC unit now it will make your shed more usable right now. I would suggest that you insulate behind anything that you mount to the walls permanently. The cost of a roll of fiberglass will seem like nothing when you are ready to finally finish the walls and don't need to do a bunch of dismantling before you can complete the drywall.

@Kirkwooder thanks. I just have to get re-alighned. There's pressure on a nerve in my back and it came up as a result of me lifting a kettle full of wort a few weeks back. I'll survive.

I will take your advice about anything permanent. I don't think there is yet with exception of my control panel.

@Onkel_Udo that does make sense actually. I was going to do the painted bead board for now, I think. Something smooth on the ceiling.

@DrunkleJon I will have a vent over my BK that will vent to the outside. No matter my wall finish, the vent & duct will be in place. I also considered efficiency with the heating/air unit without drywall. I figure at best the unit will be something I want regardless of wall finish and if I do feel like that thing is running too often, then I can make the move to drywall & insulation.

I'd vote on investing in the insulation, but I'm in the tundra of Minneapolis. In your area, I'd think you can move forward without, and always do it at a later date if it becomes financially feasible.

I'd vote on investing in the insulation, but I'm in the tundra of Minneapolis. In your area, I'd think you can move forward without, and always do it at a later date if it becomes financially feasible.

I am assuming the real issue is the drywall work because, lets be honest, the most stoned carpenter can do insulation when we are talking fiberglass bat. Per my totally unofficial poll, most homeowners do a more complete job than most pro installers with the slightest instruction.

@DrunkleJon I will have a vent over my BK that will vent to the outside. No matter my wall finish, the vent & duct will be in place. I also considered efficiency with the heating/air unit without drywall. I figure at best the unit will be something I want regardless of wall finish and if I do feel like that thing is running too often, then I can make the move to drywall & insulation.

In this situation, I would consider vinyl faced insulation at the very least. Typical of what is used in the metal building industry. The insulation will aid the efficiency of the wall unit heat/air, will have a "somewhat" durable finished side, yet not impede any future plans for a more durable wall finish.

In this situation, I would consider vinyl faced insulation at the very least. Typical of what is used in the metal building industry.

That stuff is about impossible for a homeowner to get unless they know an old-school building supply (you know, the place builders order their lumber, siding, etc) or metal building manufacturer. Good option if it can be found...just do not see that happening.

Hey Hello,

Any new improvements ?

How's the Lady Cave coming along ?

S

Tease everyone on HBT with a really cool 'Lady Cave' (pics and all) and then leave us hanging *snicker* for weeks on end anticipating an update....(yeah, ok I'm 5.)

Don't do that

...... Oh, wait. Damn. Wrong thread again. and it's not even 5 O'clock. Gonna be a long night.

It's been a very long time, I know, but life got in the way and excess funds started going to help someone else instead of them going to help feed my hobby. So, sorry for the length...here it goes. More pics to follow.

I eventually got fed up looking at an empty shed and not brewing for that matter, and figured out a way to run with what I already have for a while.

Flooring was a must, nothing could really happen until I laid down some flooring that would not get ruined by water. Yesterday's brew session confirmed my suspicion that I spill a crap ton while brewing. Most of that is due to the single pump setup I have right now. Unhooking hoses always results in a bunch of water (or wort) being dumped all over.

Bygones.

I was given some industrial grade vinyl flooring. I learned that I hate laying vinyl flooring. I am not great at it, that adheasive is unforgiving when it gets on my hands, hat, pants, and shirt, and I am just too damn big and old to be crawling around like a gorilla in a shoebox on the floor. Nevertheless, the flooring was installed. It's not even super ugly and it was free.

I am going to do the walls, but a few things gave me pause that will be easier to handle while I'm just down to studs. I may have an outlet moved, I need a vent fan, I am going back and forth on the window A/C unit (more below), and finally, I just wanted to brew!

I started to outfit the shed to brew...

I bought a chest freezer, a small 5 cu. ft. one off some girl. It is ugly as sin but worst of all, I think there was some kind of family of bugs living in it. She said she used it until she sold it. I'm unsure of that, but it was in her house so I can only guess what her house is like. Ew. It works though. I tested it for a good week before I bothered to put my fermenter inside of it. It fits well in my space.

I still have to put my shelving unit in there with all my other junk, but I was tired of moving crud this weekend, so I just avoided it.

I started out with a workbench for my brew bench. It would have worked well if I weren't short. I felt I needed to be able to reach inside the kettles for cleaning and anything else. I needed something shorter. I was going to build something, then I decided for now, I would use Ikea LACK coffee tables. Some of you just cringed, I get it. I reinforced the legs with L brackets. So far, it is all good. I didn't detect any issue with the first brew run. I do like the height. If anything, I could use another foot, but this worked well for me.

Using ideas from here, I bought the project rounds for my BK and HLT. They do work well. The table is kind of wood, but the facade is paper. I didn't want to chance it with the heat of the kettles.

I bought a basic utility sink that I rigged up with a long pool hose that drains into a creek. All I have going through that is water and trub. There's nothing that isn't organic so I'm not worried about drainage. My water source is a RV hose with filter (which I had the water tested by Ward Labs) and I pull that through the window. Not ideal, but unless I get a plumber and permits, I won't be doing this any other way. The hose from the utility sink to the creek actually works super well. I was pretty jazzed.

I have a second pump and a HERMs coil, but i need to drop about $260 on hardware and tubing for all. That'll be next payday. If anything, I will get the second pump fitted because that was absolutely my headache this brew day. The bigger issue was my lack of measurement of the coffee table shelf. It is too narrow to the top to fit the pumps. I need to get them mounted as the single pump spent more time fall on its side yesterday than I care to mention. There was cussing, I assure you of that.

I spent all day yesterday auto-tuning the system, running water throughout, testing for leaks (the BK leaked like a fountain after 6 gallons of water hit it) and then brewing. Brew day went pretty well. There was a lot of back and forth, more work than I normally would have to do, but that is just getting everything together for the new setup.

There are some things I learned that I need to address soon:

Vent. I have a large door that was open the entire time during the boil that did not handle all of the condensation well. There is a window a/c unit tying up the use of the window right next to the BK, but still, that didn't do anything. In fact, it may have contributed to the added condensation. I will buy a vent fan and install it before the next brew day.

I need to get my second pump running. I've been using one pump for a year, but now that I am recirculating, using only a pump to move wort (before I was still draining wort into a pot then picking that up and putting it on my burner), I am moving hoses way more than I want to. Each hose transfer results in water or wort all over the floor. I am not thrilled. The second pump is here, the hardware will be ordered Friday.

My pump cords won't reach my control panel. I'm having them extended. I believe that where I have the panel now is where it will stay. Therefore, I will mount it better. This was temporary.

I am using an immersion chiller. I learned that it may not be the best way for me to chill because it has to sit on the element and also fight the dip tube, temp probe, and whirlpool arm. I was hoping that I didn't have another high dollar item to buy, but it looks like I'll need something in the CFC family.

My boil off is way higher than expected. I will have to dial in my numbers fast. I will likely do a full boil extract run since I have a kit laying around.

I have to calibrate my PIDs. The temp difference between what is showing and what my thermapen say is about 4-5 degrees. I checked calibration of my thermapen, and I'm going to trust that.

Yesterday was pretty cool. Lots of fine tuning and moving back and forth between the kitchen, garage, and the shed to move things in and such. Overall though, I made beer and no one and nothing caught fire. I liked being in the shed. everything will be in one place soon and it is air conditioned. Brew days should only get even easier as I adjust.

The end.
image1-3.JPG

I went through the shed build myself. As the process begins it becomes more and more complicated. I gave up a full summer of brewing to build out and get it ready. Happy to answer any questions you have as I have probably faced some of the pitfalls you are encountering

shed10.jpg

Back