The New Brew Shed aka The Lady Cave

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello

Reaction score
Personally, the most annoying part of brew day is setting up and tearing down my equipment. I don't even mind the cleaning part, it's just having to walk back and forth to my garage to put everything in my kitchen and start brewing. Then an idea was born, a brew shed. I first looked at my garage, but the issue there is that I do other stuff in my garage which often results in a lot of saw dust and other junk. Overall, I obviously could have saved money if I just used my garage, but going with a shed meant that I would have a sort of future-proof brewing space. Meaning, if life changed, I would still have the whole house and garage and the brew shed would still be mine.

First, I ordered my control panel from Bru-Matic. I ultimately went with him on the reference of another member and no matter how many questions I've asked, he has always answered. That goes a long way with me. The controller came the second week of January.

Then I researched cost of electrical before I settled on the shed. Either way I would have the control panel, but the shed would be dependent on the electrical quotes. If the cost was high, I would not go the shed route. I received 3 quotes from licensed electricians. I toyed with the idea of doing it on my own, but I've always said I would never risk it. The quotes were as reasonable as I thought they would be and I moved forward.

I then researched sheds. I learned an awful lot about sheds actually. I finally settled on a size that didn't make me cringe at the site of it, but also was enough brew space for me. I also avoided a permit by making sure no linear measurement exceeded 12'. I ordered a 8'x10' shed with a single steel case door and a vinyl window. 80 sq. ft. isn't huge, but it is actually more room than I brew with now, so I know I could make it work. I had room for a longer shed, but this was basically on my side yard and I didn't want it to be too much of a monster.

The shed was built in a warehouse locally and brought in on a flatbed. The way the guy just whipped it into the spot was pretty outstanding. They were done in well under an hour and that was only because the manager wanted to be there to document the process and write something up about how I'm using the shed.

Once the shed was dropped I of course determined that I needed to paint my house to match (it was an intentional move on my part), but I'd focus on the shed first. I immediately called the electrician and that is where things got tough.

I ended up getting very much into trying to do it all myself, but I wasn't comfortable with certain parts. The quotes came back a second time and were all three times the price of the original quotes. I figure I did not articulate my needs well enough or they did not really understand what I was saying. Either way, I was feeling somewhat hosed. The shed is mine, I had to eat it with the cost of electrical.

I spent a good deal of time trying to find a company who wanted to basically do the work at the main and let me do the rest. No go. They frown upon that since a permit is required and they weren't going to be able to warranty the work. After about a month, I settled on a company. There were weird delays, lack of communication and such and weather issues. I rolled with it until last Friday when I met someone while at a bottle shop. Needless to say, I met him on a Friday, he was at my house Monday, he was done with the work on Wednesday, pending inspection. I couldn't be happier with him. In the end, while it would have been rad to say I did it on my own, this got done in about 4.5 hours and I wasn't digging in the mud, driving ground rods into the cold wet ground, or anything of the sort. Besides, I'll have plenty to do on my own here soon.

My next step after the inspection is to insulate and drywall the shed, paint, lay flooring, build my brew table then buy my wash sink, buy more components for my HERMs system, buy a chest freezer for fermentation, ventilate, and start moving into the shed. I want to be brewing in the shed by April 1 at the latest. I'm back to brewing with propane if I want to brew until then since I freed up space in my main by allowing them to wipe out the outlet for my induction cooktop. So there is that.

Here are a couple of photos of the shed the day it was delivered. I'll have photos of the rough in electrical shortly. There will be less words and more photos coming, I promise. :) I had to get the initial ramble out of the way.

IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

Yesss! I'm in.

A lavender awning and a flower bed of petunia's, snapdragons and vista salvia would really tie it all together fabulously girl.

Subscribed!

Very similar to what I did in my detached garage... Having a specific place is a sooooooooooo much better way to brew.

I yhave the shed but it has no electrical. I'm not afraid of electrical work. Will follow closely.

Yes, planter boxes and an awning will really purdy it up.

Nice looking brew shack! It's nice to have dedicated space for any hobby. I take it you'll just run a garden hose out there for water?

I built a 10 x 20 shed for woodworking about 8 years ago. I looked into the pre-built units and didn't like what I saw, so I stick-built mine. I did the electrical, which is a lot of work, but I enjoyed doing it (except digging the trench for the feeder). I have a 60A subpanel with a couple 240V and three 120V branch circuits. Plenty to power stationary tools, dust collector and lights, etc.

I wish I could build another one for brewing, but my city only allows one shed on residential lots. :(

My next step after the inspection is to insulate and drywall the shed, paint, lay flooring, build my brew table then buy my wash sink, buy more components for my HERMs system, buy a chest freezer for fermentation, ventilate, and start moving into the shed.

Insulation and drywall seem optional. But then I brew in my driveway and seek refuge in an uninsulated and undrywalled garage. I'm looking forward to brewing in 6 in of new snow and a high in the mid-30s Saturday, so your shed looks like paradise already! Enjoy your new space.

So I've said the words "lady cave" a number of times and it was never pointed out to me how dirty that sounds. :eek: I'm going with it though!

The outside will be worked on after the inside is done. The exception being the surrounding area because as of Wednesday, between the snow and the rain just constantly hitting, my grass is gone and there is straight mud that everyone sunk into. I have three pairs of shoes to clean now. I need to address that. My trashcans are on the left of the shed, they were on the right but it made for difficult navigation to them in the dark. I think I'll pour a concrete walk and stamp it to look like pavers. I believe that will be more cost effective than laying actual pavers. Easier too I think.

Once the inside is done and inspections are done, I had planned on adding skirting around the bottom to hide the blocks. The shed place doesn't like leaving the wood beams straight on the ground so they use blocks. They lifted one side about 3/4" higher to allow for sinking and settling. They asked me not to close underneath up until we saw how things settled.

Insulation and drywall are indeed optional, but I'll have a fermentation chamber inside as well as my grain. At the very least, it will keep the temps more reasonable. I figure I could address some kind of heating/cooling system using a temp controller like we use for ferm chambers in the future. I want to get through a summer and the end of this winter to see what temps end up like inside. Plus, this is permanent...mostly. I want it to look nice and finishing inside will really tie things together.

I have a dude coming to see if he wants to help with drywall on Monday. I'll be out all weekend so I'll start work on my table on Monday because I am off. I'm going to order my HERMs coil today I think and I lied about rambling..clearly. :)

Here's a shot of the sub panel. I laughed at it because the electrician left a lot of room for expansion. Right now there is 100 amp service running to the shed. There is a dedicated 20 amp 120v circuit for my chest freezer/ferm chamber, 3 15a 120v outlets that are on a single circuit. I already told the electrician that I may have to change that because one of them is for a vent fan and the other will be a space heater or some sort of window a/c or floor fan, so I'd like to ensure I won't be tripping it. Then there is the 240v 50 amp service dedicated for my brew control panel. The 100 amp breaker in my main may have to be dropped to 90 if the inspector gets wiggly. All I know is that the biggest issue has been electrical, but this gentleman I met last week has made everything incredibly better. I am very fortunate to have met him.

tl;dr I'll be working on the outside when I finish the inside. I didn't know lady cave was dirty but I'm running with it. I have 100 amp service running and dedicated outlets for the brew control panel and a fermentation chamber and I'm sorry I ramble. :)

The end.
ImageUploadedByHome%20Brew1425039319.745571.jpg

Nice, looking forward to seeing this progress. Summer project - patio outside the shed, mount tap handles on the outside wall, sit outside in the shade within arm's reach of fresh cold homebrew?

Nice, looking forward to seeing this progress. Summer project - patio outside the shed, mount tap handles on the outside wall, sit outside in the shade within arm's reach of fresh cold homebrew?

A great idea, however, first I would need to fence it off. Right now it is technically outside my backyard. There's a fence running parallel to the left. I looked at it and after I add some drainage, I was thinking of setting posts again, removing the part of the fence and adding it to go around the shed. I wouldn't want any access to any beverage with the amount of kids in the neighborhood. Having to enter through a fence helps me with liability if one of those goons gets into trouble on my property.

@MaxStout you asked about a water source. Yes, for now I have an RV drinking water hose with an inline filter. Sometime Monday, I will pull it out and send a sample to ward labs. This will be my water source until I jimmy rig something better. I already have an idea.

This is awesome. Looking forward to see how things progress. I built a shed about a year ago and, while it's not solely for brewing, it was designed with my brewery in mind. It really is nice to have the dedicated space.

Enjoy the build, it's part of the fun.

Cheers

Yeah if I had tap handles mounted on the outside like that I would definitely build some sort of lockable cover or box that folded down over them, both for security and to keep them out of the weather when not in use.

A great idea, however, first I would need to fence it off. Right now it is technically outside my backyard. There's a fence running parallel to the left. I looked at it and after I add some drainage, I was thinking of setting posts again, removing the part of the fence and adding it to go around the shed. I wouldn't want any access to any beverage with the amount of kids in the neighborhood. Having to enter through a fence helps me with liability if one of those goons gets into trouble on my property.

@MaxStout you asked about a water source. Yes, for now I have an RV drinking water hose with an inline filter. Sometime Monday, I will pull it out and send a sample to ward labs. This will be my water source until I jimmy rig something better. I already have an idea.

Tap locks. Even with the fence, if teenage neighborhoodlums discover there is a fountain of beer available they will get to it. A fence will not keep them out. Additionally, you probably would want tap caps of some sort to keep crap from climbing/growing inside.

Critters can be problematic too. I would have to laugh to see a squirrel open the tap to take a drink. I would cry too because the buggers wont turn it off when they are done and because they wouldnt drink all they poured.

Yeah if I had tap handles mounted on the outside like that I would definitely build some sort of lockable cover or box that folded down over them, both for security and to keep them out of the weather when not in use.

That could work, Would need to have it sealed against environment though for the same reasons, Insulating it would help save on energy loss as well.

I have a dude coming to see if he wants to help with drywall on Monday.

Honestly, I too would not use sheetrock.

I would use rigid insulation and clad the interior with FRP. Fiber Reinforced Panels aka Marlite. This stuff is typically used in kitchens for an easy to clean surface. It is also similar to bathroom shower panels.

I'll be following your progress. I like what you are doing. I'm about to start construction on a dedicated brewing room in my basement and like to see what others have done for inspiration. Best of luck!

I would use rigid insulation and clad the interior with FRP. Fiber Reinforced Panels aka Marlite. This stuff is typically used in kitchens for an easy to clean surface. It is also similar to bathroom shower panels.

An expensive option for the whole shed but THE best option for the wet wall.

To the OP, I am not a fan of drywall in any sort of utility area as it is so easily dinged, dented, or soaked and it has less than a 40# load capacity. Look at the thin fibrous cement panels (normally Hardie Panel). With no interior dimension exceeding 10' there would be no seams except the corners and one horizontal or two vertical per wall. The corners can be either caulked or covered in 1/2" quarter round. If you can accurately measure, including checking for square, you are looking at 2-3 cuts per wall.

Yaknow, kitchen/bathroom sheetrock would probably be best due to the amount of moisture that would be in there, but alternately for ease of cleanup and even for functionality, that dry erase wallpaper might be a nice addition.

You can write your recipe up there, and jot down your brewing notes as you go, label your additions just above them, keep track of some brews, etc. Hmmm... I may be getting an idea, and at ~$1-2/square on Amazon it may be workable for a kinda brew area.

I'm thinking about keeping your shed warm/cool, mostly because I'm insulating and weatherizing my 100-year old house. I am incredibly jealous of your ability to get everything right from the start. I guess I'll add that there are so many ways to do insulating and weatherizing wrong and there are a lot of misconceptions that have made their way into contractor and DIYer practice. Good luck!

I thought about this, but I felt like it may be overkill. I'll have to look into it.
Why drywall - why not another product that you can hang, easily clean, and forget about/move on from?

Such as? Or are you on board with the clad?

I thought about this, but I felt like it may be overkill. I'll have to look into it.

Such as? Or are you on board with the clad?

EXACTLY what I was thinking.(I haven't used it awhile - aged into an older mind - and couldn't remember the name of it) :drunk:

It's durable, washable, you don't ever have to paint it, comes in textures?...
Find the cheapest under board you can find i.e.drywall, plywood, lattice strips,,,anything to keep the marlite from buckling in between the studs. When you get your LC finished, yamo build me a MC jist like yers....only purtier.....
...and I WILL be using marlite.

Recently designed a small brewery for my fathers company, they built it from structurally insulated panels with FRP on the interior. Tiled floors with drains and stainless steel tables. Everything can be sprayed down. This is much smaller scale but, it would be worth it.

Maybe @Hello doesn't brew like a barbarian and get **** all over everything though :)

Back