Coldcrash accident before fermentation started … what to do Now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sballe

Reaction score
So - I’ve done cider for 2-3 years, both Wild and commercial yeast; never really had many major issues — also thx to this site :)

This year something weird and unfortunate happened — and I don’t really know what to do:

My late varieties were a little slow to fully ripen this year, and I also let them mature about 1,5 weeks after picking. Macerated and juiced same as always — about 20 gallons of nice juice. Pitched my yeast - 71B - in about half. Other half is wild fermentation. All buckets are stored outside in an unheated shed.

The day after there was a sudden temperature drop. From about 12-14C to 4C. (56F to 40F). And today (about 2 weeks after pitch) I took a gravity reading … no change at all, still OG. And film yeast in all 4 buckets. There is no option for heating - and it is about 10miles from my house so “moving it indoors” will be a big hassle. (Actually I live in an apartment so storing indoor is a major pain)

I figure fermentation really won’t pick up before temperature rises … and that could be in march next year!!

Would that be ok to leave for so long ?? Or should I do something else?

If you don't have methods to heat it (electric blankets, seed pads, warm water baths, etc.), I think it's okay to leave it. Sounds like your temperatures are low enough to store it and your yeast will wake up if it warms up. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back