The most ingonrant thing you have EVER heard about Hombrewing or hombrewing technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abweatherley

Reaction score
Ok so we have

The stupidest comment on your beer thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/stupidest-comment-your-beer-54730/

The Worst beer you ever had thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/worst-commercial-beer-your-have-ever-had-196013/

and

The best commercial beer you have ever had

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/best-commercial-beer-youve-ever-had-205982/

So what is the most ignorant thing anyone has ever told you about homebrewing or homebrewing techniques

Mines a doozy apparently a friend of mine doesn't think pilsner or Oktoberfest are lagers

I thought Oktoberfest was a holiday.

Mine would probably be something I said myself, I'd have to read back over my early posts . . . at least I hope they're early. Maybe last week?

I have been asked how you would go about putting alcohol in the beer. I think that one really goes beyond things like the urban legends about bock or dark beers being "bottom of the barrel" or anything like that. It seems to me that most intelligent adults would understand that wine and beer are fermented beverages and that alcohol is a product of this process.

I have been asked how you would go about putting alcohol in the beer. I think that one really goes beyond things like the urban legends about bock or dark beers being "bottom of the barrel" or anything like that. It seems to me that most intelligent adults would understand that wine and beer are fermented beverages and that alcohol is a product of this process.

You'd be surprised how many actually don't know this.

I can't think of the exact comment, but everytime BiaB comes up in the LHBS the owner insists it cannot produce even "ok" beer.

Mine is I work at a brewery serving only our beers we brew and we have a beer selection written on a canoe and people still come in and ask for coors light or bud light. Then they taste our light beer that's even more watery than coors light and ask for something lighter or not as strong.

I work with a guy that use to "brew" but later got back into church so he quit. (dont want to talk about the church stuff) anyways he is always giving me "tips" I usally just shake my head smile and walk off. The one that made me stop listening to him was his "house special" as he called it. He did extract with grain. So he would boil the grain for 30 mins then let it steep for another 3 hours remove the grain. Then add the dme or lme and a bag of sugar to the wort boil for 20 mins then cool and top up to 5 gals let ferment for 2 weeks and bottle. He swore it was good.

I work with a guy that use to "brew" but later got back into church so he quit. (dont want to talk about the church stuff) anyways he is always giving me "tips" I usally just shake my head smile and walk off. The one that made me stop listening to him was his "house special" as he called it. He did extract with grain. So he would boil the grain for 30 mins then let it steep for another 3 hours remove the grain. Then add the dme or lme and a bag of sugar to the wort boil for 20 mins then cool and top up to 5 gals let ferment for 2 weeks and bottle. He swore it was good.

i mean it could have been, but i'd have trouble believing it. maybe he just didn't remember the times acurately. i mean steeping for 3 hours?

when my non beer geek co worker tried my cream stout and replied " I do not like it, it's too, pause pause pause, stouty"

Fizzycist said:
The most ignorant thing I have seen is the spelling in the title of this thread.

This. I would like a the most ignorant thing YOU have ever said about homebrew. I once told a friend it was okay to rehydrate yeast in some water with sugar in it do it would help them activate. Apparently that's not a good idea or necessary.

You don't want to do that", it's too hard and a waste of money....Puhleeeeez. Thats about as ignorent as they get..

bitlumpkin said:
i mean it could have been, but i'd have trouble believing it. maybe he just didn't remember the times acurately. i mean steeping for 3 hours?

I asked him that. I said u boiled the specialty grain for 30 mins? He was like "oh yeah get all the sugars and flavor." Then I asked then let it sit for 3 hours and he said " at least 3 hours sometimes if I've drank too much I put the lid on and let it sit overnight." He gives me advice like this all the time this is the only one I remember

What difference does the steeping duration - any duration - make, when he's already denatured all the enzymes by boiling the grain? It's not like there's enzymes in extract...

you drink so much you had to start making your own beer? I've got a few times...

Before opening the new LHBS, the Health Dept. inspector came in. I asked her if there was any requirements for us to host group brews in the parking lot. She said that we'll need a one day liquor license. I asked why, and she said "Because, you're making beer." I said that there isn't any alcohol in it, and there won't be for a couple weeks. She thought about it for a few seconds, and then said "Well then, you'll need a longer term liquor license."

I developed walking pneumonia last summer (although at the time I didn't know it), went to an outdoor sporting event, was dehydrated and got too hot in the sun. I briefly passed out, actually I went down and got right back up. A friend of mine blamed it on the home brew! I asked why, and his answer was all the sugar in homebrew HAS to have my blood sugar out of wack...lol! He still doesn't like the idea of me drinking it even though I confirmed through a doctor what the issues were.

That you aren't saving money by brewing...

I wish I saved money by brewing. Maybe if I count just ingredients I'm saving money, but I think all the new equipment that I think I "need" puts me over what it would cost to make the beer.

"Your beer gave me a really bad headache the next morning". Bmc drinkers think they don't have to drink water when drinking good beer.

The most ignorant thing I have ever been asked...

#1. Can you make any beer as good as Bud Light?

I thought to myself... Kill me now! and then replied... Better! They were astounded by my response and replied "well I can't wait to try that... What about Heineken?" <shakes head and walks away>

The most ignorant thing I have ever been asked...

#1. Can you make any beer as good as Bud Light?

I thought to myself... Kill me now! and then replied... Better! They were astounded by my response and replied "well I can't wait to try that... What about Heineken?" <shakes head and walks away>
One of my aunts asked me if I could make a batch of michelobe ultra... I told my aunt that I loved her and said no.

He wasnt a Canadian named Craig was he?

I sent my mom a bottle of my mead for Christmas and she called to ask me if i had tried it and if it was "safe to drink"

tcsteeler1993 said:
Mine is I work at a brewery serving only our beers we brew and we have a beer selection written on a canoe and people still come in and ask for coors light or bud light. Then they taste our light beer that's even more watery than coors light and ask for something lighter or not as strong.

Dude do you work at Blue Canoe?

That you aren't saving money by brewing...

I wish I saved money by brewing. Maybe if I count just ingredients I'm saving money, but I think all the new equipment that I think I "need" puts me over what it would cost to make the beer.

I call this hobby the most expensive way to get cheap beer...

day_trippr said:
What difference does the steeping duration - any duration - make, when he's already denatured all the enzymes by boiling the grain? It's not like there's enzymes in extract...

U don't need enzymes with an extract brew, specialty grains contain almost no fermentable sugars, which is what enzymatic activity is for, converting raw starches into fermentable sugars, ie Maltose. By adding extract during a boil, even 20 minutes this beer will work, even with an overnight soak. Hop utilization would be piss poor with a 20 minute boil and tannins/astringency would also be sky high, but could still make an ok beer in two weeks.

Scott

Back