The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay. That sounds good. I have never had a pale wheat before. Maybe I will give that a shot.

Hey Oter,

Here's a recipe for Belgian Witbier I've used a couple of time with great success. The miscellaneous ingredients are more forward than the one wildwest450 posted, but I like the zest from the pepper and more pronounced orange flavor.

Of course, I always make people say the name when they ask for one.

"Can I get a Jiggy Wit It?"

Jiggy Wit It
Grains
6# Wheat Malt
5# Pale Ale Malt

Hops
1 oz Willamette @ 60 min

Misc ( all @ 10 min)
1.25 oz Coriander
1 oz Black Pepper
5 oz Orange Zest ( 5-6 oranges)

Yeast
Safale T-58 (or US-05 if you want less spicy yeast flavor or don't have anything else)

Gumballhead yeast... :ban:

Gumballhead_Yeast.jpeg

Brewing at my place on Monday morning. It looks like we are doing a 15 gallon Belgian. Not sure if it is going to be a dubbel or a tripel. Jim will be doing a starter of the WLP 530 that he has harvested and used in the not so distant past.

It looks like we may start as early at 8 on Monday. If you want to come and hang-out just PM me to let me know.

Brewing at my place on Monday morning. It looks like we are doing a 15 gallon Belgian. Not sure if it is going to be a dubbel or a tripel. Jim will be doing a starter of the WLP 530 that he has harvested and used in the not so distant past.

It looks like we may start as early at 8 on Monday. If you want to come and hang-out just PM me to let me know.

I have been thinking about doing another tripel myself. If anyone will be there late I may come by after work.

stirplate: functional. finally. now to go and get a starter going for the oatmeal stout i want to brew tomorrow.

1234 said:

Sorry i missed ur call earlier. I'd love to but I gotta work. I love dubbels. I got that on my list.

I think I will try to also do a quick Berliner Weisse tomorrow. There will be 3 of us here so I think I can get it done.

Looking to grow several varieties of hops this year. Anyone have any experience? Looking at Great Lakes Hops. They have crowned plants for a good price. http://www.facebook.com/GreatLakesHops

I put two rhizomes of each Cascade, Centennial, and Zeus in the ground three years ago. They were run over by a bulldozer a couple of years ago and only one Cent. died. I got about 12 oz. of dried hops last year and I pretty much ignore these plants. They are weeds.

so i ended up not brewing today even though i put my starter on yesterday. i'm curious though- theres no sort of foaming or anything, should i be concerned about my yeast health? I guess the only real way to know is to take a gravity reading on the starter, right?

so i ended up not brewing today even though i put my starter on yesterday. i'm curious though- theres no sort of foaming or anything, should i be concerned about my yeast health? I guess the only real way to know is to take a gravity reading on the starter, right?

You could take a reading or just pour some out and taste it. While it's possible to not have any visible krausen, I would expect at least something.

Yea, i would think i've had to have some propogation. The only reason i question activity is that this is the same harvested yeast i pitched for my APA and that took probably 48 hours to take off. I did allow the slurry to come to room temp before it went into a starter wort that should have been around a 1.040.

I'm not brewing tonight so i guess it won't matter too much. First thing i will do when i get home tomorrow is to take a grav reading. I've also got to figure out how i'll crush my grain tomorrow since it looks like I forgot to ask rebel to mill it when i picked it up saturday.

Edit: I also just realized i didn't order the roast barley i need for my recipe. EFF!

Well, woke up this morning and my stirplate had thrown it's bar again but i did have a foam on the starter. Yay! reset the stir bar and left to work. Stopped by on the way home and grabbed my grains and off to all seasons i went. Picked up the roast barley and got grains milled and was back by like 6:00 or 6:30 i think.

I had prepped my make up water last night so i filled the grain bag, realized i had no idea whether my recipe was for 2 cups of flaked oats or 1 lb of flaked oats, and promptly winged it. I think theres like a half pound of oats which is a little more than 2 cups... i think. Proceeded to try something i've never done, and instead of simply steeping, i opted to minimash my specialty grains, brew in a bag style. 45 minutes @ 155F later and I sparged and brought to a boil.

Narrowly avoiding boilovers through the hot break i started prepping the other stuff I was gunna need and finally retired to the bedroom for a couple minutes to finally sit down... WRONG ANSWER. After a half hour of vigorous boil, my wort decided to cock some attitude and boilover. Didn't lose much and got it calmed back down. I resolved to stay downstairs for the rest of the boil... and rightly so- with 15 minutes to go, it got brave again and tried to once again venture from its pot.

Fast forward another hour or so and I now have cooled wort being siphoned into the fermentation bucket with my new aquarium pump aeration system going. Beersmith was calling for a 1.064 OG and i came in at 1.070 - i attribute this to the minimash vs simply steeping the grains. Wort looked great too - not black like my other stouts always looked but a deep chocolatey brown. Yeast starter got dumped in, a blow off tube crammed into the lid, and into the ferm chamber it goes! Heres to hoping it's temps dont get out of control tonight. I'm a little tempted to get some ice cubes and just put into the little dorm fridge to try and chill the air some- might at least stabilize some of teh heat from fermentation. Can't wait for my STC1000 to get here so maybe i can hold a temperature for once :/

Another long brew day in the books; I've never had luck with stouts so far so i'm really hoping this one is a winner.

Well, woke up this morning and my stirplate had thrown it's bar again but i did have a foam on the starter. Yay! reset the stir bar and left to work. Stopped by on the way home and grabbed my grains and off to all seasons i went. Picked up the roast barley and got grains milled and was back by like 6:00 or 6:30 i think.

I had prepped my make up water last night so i filled the grain bag, realized i had no idea whether my recipe was for 2 cups of flaked oats or 1 lb of flaked oats, and promptly winged it. I think theres like a half pound of oats which is a little more than 2 cups... i think. Proceeded to try something i've never done, and instead of simply steeping, i opted to minimash my specialty grains, brew in a bag style. 45 minutes @ 155F later and I sparged and brought to a boil.

Narrowly avoiding boilovers through the hot break i started prepping the other stuff I was gunna need and finally retired to the bedroom for a couple minutes to finally sit down... WRONG ANSWER. After a half hour of vigorous boil, my wort decided to cock some attitude and boilover. Didn't lose much and got it calmed back down. I resolved to stay downstairs for the rest of the boil... and rightly so- with 15 minutes to go, it got brave again and tried to once again venture from its pot.

Fast forward another hour or so and I now have cooled wort being siphoned into the fermentation bucket with my new aquarium pump aeration system going. Beersmith was calling for a 1.064 OG and i came in at 1.070 - i attribute this to the minimash vs simply steeping the grains. Wort looked great too - not black like my other stouts always looked but a deep chocolatey brown. Yeast starter got dumped in, a blow off tube crammed into the lid, and into the ferm chamber it goes! Heres to hoping it's temps dont get out of control tonight. I'm a little tempted to get some ice cubes and just put into the little dorm fridge to try and chill the air some- might at least stabilize some of teh heat from fermentation. Can't wait for my STC1000 to get here so maybe i can hold a temperature for once :/

Another long brew day in the books; I've never had luck with stouts so far so i'm really hoping this one is a winner.

I got scared the first time i used my stir plate as well bc you dont get alot of foaming in the first day or so. I dont get very much at all (a little layer) but that is ok bc u are constantly stirring it and krausen has trouble foaming up. If you stop it and let it sit for a few hours u will get some krausen (as long as it is working). Relax, it'll be fine...lol

I just got my stc-1000 put together and I plan on testing it out on my fridge tonight. I have had all the parts to put it together for about 8 months but I just forgot about it...lol. Maffewl's vid on how to put it together is spot on and I watched it as I was doing it last night.

I have a youtube channel too JOMalone3113. mostly boring vids but there are a few that detail the brewing process and show how i do it now

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I have found some stuff that Ia m about to add to my Mash tun that will make it possible for me to direct fire. this stuff is apparently really good stuff, I plan on doing a youtube review of it. Here is a link to the guy that I got it from and he installed it on his as well.

BTW, really cool guy and for anyone who watches BrewingTV, he is Ted from the Dice hopping video....awesome guy!

Last edited by a moderator:

I use a stir plate for starters and have never really seen any krausen if that makes you feel any better.

I use a stir plate for starters and have never really seen any krausen if that makes you feel any better.

I almost always get a small krausen with my stir plate, weirdness.

One thing you will always get is c02 bubbles coming up to the top, a sign it's fermenting/fermented out.

Well, I think i've decided what i'll do with my fridge / kegorator conundrum... the fridge is still too expensive to make a true kegorator out of it in my opinion but i can make a half kegorator out of it...

The plan:
Today i went on and drilled an inconspicuous hole near the bottom on the edge of the door- this run alls the way in and penetrates the inner liner. This is where i've fed my CO2 line from. Got a little grommey in to protect the hose and it looks pretty clean. seems like a good tight seal as well so i'm not worried about temp loss. I think this will be the only penetration.

On the inside, i'll build a raised bottom (so i can have a flat surface for kegs) and i'll probably make it just tall enough that i can slide some bottles in on their side below the kegs. This will maximize use of space for me and still look pretty good i think.

For the taps, i'm going to make a custom bracket that will utilize the existing shelf rack. It'll clip in just like a shelf would, but i'll have it be a nice wooden front with my taps on it. This means i'll have to open the fridge to get a beer each time, but i think i'm willing to trade that little inconvenience and energy to keep from drilling the door. As an added bonus, if anyone ever leaves a tap flowing, it will be at least somewhat contained inside the fridge.

paparker21 said:
Well, I think i've decided what i'll do with my fridge / kegorator conundrum... the fridge is still too expensive to make a true kegorator out of it in my opinion but i can make a half kegorator out of it...

The plan:
Today i went on and drilled an inconspicuous hole near the bottom on the edge of the door- this run alls the way in and penetrates the inner liner. This is where i've fed my CO2 line from. Got a little grommey in to protect the hose and it looks pretty clean. seems like a good tight seal as well so i'm not worried about temp loss. I think this will be the only penetration.

On the inside, i'll build a raised bottom (so i can have a flat surface for kegs) and i'll probably make it just tall enough that i can slide some bottles in on their side below the kegs. This will maximize use of space for me and still look pretty good i think.

For the taps, i'm going to make a custom bracket that will utilize the existing shelf rack. It'll clip in just like a shelf would, but i'll have it be a nice wooden front with my taps on it. This means i'll have to open the fridge to get a beer each time, but i think i'm willing to trade that little inconvenience and energy to keep from drilling the door. As an added bonus, if anyone ever leaves a tap flowing, it will be at least somewhat contained inside the fridge.

Why are you afraid to drill the door? If a tap runs inside , you will lose much more beer and be harder to clean up. IMO post some pics.

The fridge cost about 500$ after taxes when i got it. I just dont really want to make it totally un-sellable by drilling it's door if i dont have to. I figure a smell 75$ keezer will resale better than a stand up fridge if something ever happens to necessitate i get rid of it. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow after work- gunna take my piece of 1x4 and drill the holes for tap shanks there so i don't have to invest in a hole saw. lol

Just got a 14 cuft fridgidaire chest freezer off a guy who lives in my town, off craigslist for $125. It will be the ferm chamber for a little bit but will eventually be the keezer and my side by side fridge will be the ferm chamber....pretty good find I think

Anyone getting bad weather? Time to grab some homebrew and hit the cellar, oops don't have a cellar.

Looking forward to doing some Big IPA's. With the hop buy and now MY NEW HOP GARDEN. Been working every evening this week. Glad its finaaly done. At Paul: I love storms. I get to go to the basement where my 4 tap bar is.:)

I posted a new message on our a group hop buy. We are pretty close to having the hops shipped to us. It is time to send out your checks or make some type of payment arrangement. You will not get hops until I get your payment.

Good stuff guys! personally, the storm was a huge boon-- i came in and power was off and heard some chitter chatter one hall over so i tapped a pint and walked over. Got a great new friend from the evening and have had a few great brews!

Anybody here sending any entries to the NHC this year??

I am sending my Lil momma pale ale, and my Hoppy West Coast Red....

But entries for the Atlanta region are closed, so if you havent already signed up and paid for your entry you are **** out of luck...

Bobby, I was going to enter the berlinner weiss....but wntries closed before I pulled the trigger....lol it is still tasting tart and awesome!

Anyone getting bad weather? Time to grab some homebrew and hit the cellar, oops don't have a cellar.

Does this count as bad weather?

hail.jpg

That's a quarter in the middle of the hail. These suckers managed to take out three windows in my house and beat up one of my cars, the damn thing is dimpled like a golf ball now.

Latest posts

Back