The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this count as bad weather?

hail.jpg

That's a quarter in the middle of the hail. These suckers managed to take out three windows in my house and beat up one of my cars, the damn thing is dimpled like a golf ball now.

They had those where I work. I'm glad I left when I did. Rode the edge of the storm all the way home. Found my wife hiding in the closet with a pot on her head.

Damn! Here in West Nashville I got quite a bit of hail but most a little bit smaller than the size of a quarter.

I was signed up for four entries into the Atlanta region for the NHC but I just couldn't pull the trigger considering 1) none of the beers were particularly outstanding and 2) I didn't feel like shelling out $10 per entry plus AHA membership fee plus shipping costs!

I'd like to get into some competitions but from what I've heard and read, it's more about how close you come to style than "particularly outstanding." I would kinda like to get a score sheet back though. Thoughts from those who have entered?

Oh, and Stevo... did you save your scoresheet from your Brew Like Paula Deen Competition?

Competitions suck imo. It's usually the best of the worst wins(yay, i got a ribbon in the local fair). If you want feedback, get someone you trust and drink up.

I enter competitions with every brew.....

do I like it----- yes
can I drink it----yes

enough said.... good beer...

I do like hearing what others have to say about them.

Competitions suck imo. It's usually the best of the worst wins(yay, i got a ribbon in the local fair). If you want feedback, get someone you trust and drink up.

Competitions: Where you spend good money to send beer to strangers, so they can tell you in intricate detail just how bad it sucks.

:p

Competitions: Where you spend good money to send beer to strangers, so they can tell you in intricate detail just how bad it sucks.

:p

Ha, and of course the feedback will be spot on, who couldn't give you proper feed back on your IPA after tasting 15 different ones in a row?:drunk:

I'd like to get into some competitions but from what I've heard and read, it's more about how close you come to style than "particularly outstanding." I would kinda like to get a score sheet back though. Thoughts from those who have entered?

Oh, and Stevo... did you save your scoresheet from your Brew Like Paula Deen Competition?

Competitions are def about style, but pretty much all beers will fit into a style its about figuring out which one it best fits in. And it doesnt have to be perfectly to style to win. It has to standout in that style and be the best within that category on that day with those judges.

I enter a few comps a year, though I plan to ramp that up this year and enter alot more. It is very helpful to get the score sheets back and look at the judges comments. They arent always good, but you look at the judges credentials and if he is a ranking judge take those comments serious, and if it is a non BJCP judge you have to be careful bc they arent always the best judges.

I sit down with my score sheets afterward and drink the beer they drank and see if I get any of the same flaws or can pick up on what they are getting...its helpful

Have any of you added a spigot to a brew pot? I'd like to add one to my 44 quart Bayou stainless pot, but I'm terrified I'm gonna screw something up and ruin a perfectly good pot.

Easy peasy with a step bit. You need to plan out what kind of diptube you're going to install, so you get the right height, they can also be trimmed to fit.

I like hole saws much more than step bits. Less meat to remove, no cutting oil, just BAM! Done.

OT. Has anyone ever pulled three taps dry in one night? I filled a 24 oz mug of cream Ale when I got home, went back for a refill, whoosh(gone). Damit. Pulled the IPA, half a glass, whoosh(dry). Damit. Just now Pulled my Black IPA, whoosh(dry). Damit. Yesterday was a good day. Today sucks.

Wish i had 3 taps setup to run dry >.< Although i did pick up 3 new ball locks at a good price...but they dont have manual pressure relief valves so i've got to replace those. Still coming out quite a bit cheaper than other options....and they're only going to need a little finagling to make work pretty well....

should have gone to the LHBS. lol

OT. Has anyone ever pulled three taps dry in one night? I filled a 24 oz mug of cream Ale when I got home, went back for a refill, whoosh(gone). Damit. Pulled the IPA, half a glass, whoosh(dry). Damit. Just now Pulled my Black IPA, whoosh(dry). Damit. Yesterday was a good day. Today sucks.

If I don't get something going I will shortly. Do have a Hex Nut that should be ready in a few weeks.

Easy peasy with a step bit. You need to plan out what kind of diptube you're going to install, so you get the right height, they can also be trimmed to fit.

I was talking with Bobby about this last night. He suggested I go with a bazooka screen to leave some of the debris in the kettle when I drain it off into my ale pale. Anyone running with a screen instead of a dip tube?

Also, does anyone have a good source for a bulkhead? I'm thinking about getting this one (http://www.brewhardware.com/valves/59-weldless-bulkhead) but I'm open to suggestions.

I was talking with Bobby about this last night. He suggested I go with a bazooka screen to leave some of the debris in the kettle when I drain it off into my ale pale.

That's one way to do it, but you're going to leave a lot of wort behind unless you tip the kettle. With a dip tube you can get all the precious out, without extra work. A bazooka screen will ONLY work with leaf hops(and may clog if you chill with a IC), unless you use some kind of hop bag for pellets.

I use bargain fittings, they're about the cheapest and really fast to ship.
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=46

I'll second the Bargain Fittings.

I recently added a bazooka tube to the end of my dip tube. Not sure I've seen any real difference with it than before. I whirlpool and still use a hop bag for my pellet hops cause I'm paranoid about clogging my plate chiller.

Have any of you added a spigot to a brew pot? I'd like to add one to my 44 quart Bayou stainless pot, but I'm terrified I'm gonna screw something up and ruin a perfectly good pot.

I have installed several. Here is a link to a video I made last year about how to install one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prices have gone up considerably since I bought mine 2 years ago (I've been looking to pick up a 4th to finish off my keezer and the kit I bought for 50 bucks from AHS is now 70...). Cheapest prices I've seen lately are at Farmhouse Brewing Supply. I believe his going rate for a stainless Perlick is 32 and change and 20 for a chrome one.

Thanks for sharing that video. Do you think the soap would be a good enough lubricate to get through a stainless turkey fryer pot?

I use WD-40. It has the advantage of helping cool the metal due to evaporation, and the little blast helps keep the chips out of the way.

I drilled and punched 2 one inch holes in my BK Monday. I'm mounting 2000 watt heating elements in it.

:ban:

Prices have gone up considerably since I bought mine 2 years ago (I've been looking to pick up a 4th to finish off my keezer and the kit I bought for 50 bucks from AHS is now 70...). Cheapest prices I've seen lately are at Farmhouse Brewing Supply. I believe his going rate for a stainless Perlick is 32 and change and 20 for a chrome one.

So, what's the deal with the chrome Perlicks? Seems I heard they have the same internals as the stainless version.

I see about the same prices on kegconnection.

Hate my picnic taps. I spray them with starsan after each use and they still grow mold on the inside. And let's just not mention the condition of the towel I put in the bottom of the keezer to catch drips...

Interested in building a keg collar with perlicks, but curious how people keep the lid hinge attached.

Interested in building a keg collar with perlicks, but curious how people keep the lid hinge attached.

I used a 2x4 collar and attached it with liquid nails to the freezer, then I just replaced the hinge screws with nuts and bolts long enough to go through the wood. Wood screws would probably suffice, but the bolts are cheap enough, and will never come off.

Where have you guys picked up your Perlicks? I haven't seen any decent deals recently...

Amazon usually has some deals from vendors every once in a while. This is the combo I bought, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047SHADG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. $48 is pretty good if you're ok with a chrome shank (the faucet is SS). Also a good thing about this vendor is shipping doesn't really go up with multiple orders. I bought 4 faucet/shank combos about 4 months back and shipping was $5.95 total, hard to beat that.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, what's the deal with the chrome Perlicks? Seems I heard they have the same internals as the stainless version.

I'm sure they function just the same, but I'm all for using stainless steel to avoid issues with chrome plating coming off further on down the road. The way I see it is what is that I'm gonna be using these things for many many years, so a few bucks difference is worth it to not have problems later.

I used a 2x4 collar and attached it with liquid nails to the freezer, then I just replaced the hinge screws with nuts and bolts long enough to go through the wood. Wood screws would probably suffice, but the bolts are cheap enough, and will never come off.

Was thinking 2x6, solid insulation on the inside, spray foam insulation where the shanks go.

Back