The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished building my temp controller for my chest freezer earlier today. Temp is spot on. About to cold crash 4 carboys--a nut brown, an imperial red, a blonde, and a sweet potato/holiday ale. Gonna build one more controller soon.

I have a 22.4 cu ft and a 7.2 cu ft (holds 4 pin locks) chest freezer, and then getting a fridge in the near future. I'm curious what the best system would be with these. Thinking about fermenting in the larger freezer, serving out of the smaller freezer, and maybe lagering in the fridge? It wouldn't be an issue to rearrange things later, but just looking for some input.

isn't that the keg you couldn't give away fast enough? :D

I need to do a cider before the end of the year.

Do you have a recipe that works well? I've done EdWort's Apfelwein a couple times, but am looking for something a little different.

isn't that the keg you couldn't give away fast enough? :D

Do you have a recipe that works well? I've done EdWort's Apfelwein a couple times, but am looking for something a little different.

As it turns out, we were drinking the Saison not the graff. I now need to go back and drink the Saison knowing that it is a Saison. Once I tasted the keg I thought was the Saison I said oh yeah this is not Saison it is graff. Quite tasty!

So the crappy cider turned out to be a saison? Very interesting.

Not sure what I am going to think about the Saison when I actually know that it is a saison. I need to do a better job of labeling the kegs.

Let me know what you want me to do about your PBW:mug:

I tried it a few weeks back when I was stone cold sober and couldn't figure it out either. Bobby kept talking about some off flavor and neither of us could figure it out. I guess it was the saison yeast funkiness coming through. It's amazing what happens to your perception when you think it's on thing and it turns out to be something completely different.

Hey Ben, glad you dropped in. :mug: I saw your watermelon wheat recipe; made one a couple years ago and been thinking about making another one soon. It came from a wheat kit I picked up. I carbed with a small portion dextrose and then 20 or so watermelon Jolly Rancers. It had a nice crisp tartness to it...amazing color and aroma. I may give the AG recipe a try...looks really good.

I am not sure if Brewer's Corner is still open.

Brewer's Corner in Murfreesboro, TN
800 Park Avenue East
Murfreesboro, TN 37129
(615) 849-7797

Hey Ben, glad you dropped in. :mug: I saw your watermelon wheat recipe; made one a couple years ago and been thinking about making another one soon. It came from a wheat kit I picked up. I carbed with a small portion dextrose and then 20 or so watermelon Jolly Rancers. It had a nice crisp tartness to it...amazing color and aroma. I may give the AG recipe a try...looks really good.

Give it a shot man it is a regular summer brew at my place here in memphis. If any of you guys are ever this way just give me a shout and swing by for a beer!

I am brewing on Sunday if anybody wants to stop by and have a beer, and lend a hand. I will be brewing up a Flanders Red to go onto the Roselare Yeast cake:ban:

I won't be able to make it down tomorrow. Spending the day with the parents. Hope the brew day goes well!

I am now selling a keggle that has a brand new ball valve and a new thermometer. PM me if you are interested in the keggle and we can talk prices.

Hope every one had a great Fourth of July and woke up with finger and livers intact.

I probably should be missing a few... after 2 bourbons and a few beers I thought it was a good idea to hold a fountain in my hand:

261977_10150369137322729_759637728_10223935_4727552_n.jpg

That reminds me of going to Bonny Dunes in the mid 80's and having these massive fireworks battles and bonfires. Bottle rockets were everywhere.

Roman candle = automatic shot gun.

So, I just killed the ofest and bottled off the bock, meaning I now have room for the 8-9 gallons of APA currently bulk crashing in my chest freezer.

But I'm feeling lazy. Someone motivate me.

I'm not much of a motivator.. Maybe you should call Lou Holtz.. 56 days till football season. Not soon enough, but still Rockin.

Try the paintball field out off of Central Pike in Donelson/Hermitage. You can find there phone number at nashvillepaintball.com

Hey, You guys that have refractometers. Did you buy them local? How Much? I'm looking for one, being that I have another hydrometer broken. It was my son this time though.Thanks

I got mine for about 25 dollars shipped from an eBay seller in the US. I took a look at it appears that prices have gone up a little bit since then. If you want the convenience factor of not having to do the conversion from Brix to OG go with the one from BobbyM, I doubt you are going to find one like that on eBay.

Thanks IffyG. I looked at the ones on EBay too. I would like the convience factor though.
Do y'all still use the hydrometer for FG or do you just use the conversion formula?

Latest posts

Back