The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm looking for some input, I am wanting to pick up some yeast from Rebel and looking for some suggestions (liquid or dry) for a few styles I haven't brewed before...fermentation temps won't be an issue anymore as of next week....
-wheat
-kolsch
-saison
-lager

...also gonna get a few more US-05 and S-04, but they are out of Notty...I know dry yeast is relatively cheap, but if you aren't able to use a yeast cake right away, has anyone ever washed a dried yeast cake?

So I'm looking for some input, I am wanting to pick up some yeast from Rebel and looking for some suggestions (liquid or dry) for a few styles I haven't brewed before...fermentation temps won't be an issue anymore as of next week....
-wheat
-kolsch
-saison
-lager

...also gonna get a few more US-05 and S-04, but they are out of Notty...I know dry yeast is relatively cheap, but if you aren't able to use a yeast cake right away, has anyone ever washed a dried yeast cake?[/quote

What kind of lager?? Many options

_

-wheat
-kolsch
-saison
-lager

...also gonna get a few more US-05 and S-04, but they are out of Notty...I know dry yeast is relatively cheap, but if you aren't able to use a yeast cake right away, has anyone ever washed a dried yeast cake?

What kind of lager?? Many options

Don't have anything specific in mind. Maybe a pilsner or a Vienna. The growlers that you brought to Billy's were a really good easy-drinker.

I will be washing some 3068 Wheat yeast real soon. It is fermenting my wheat beer and I will be transferring it sometime next week. I will be more than happy to share some of the washed yeast.

I will be washing some 3068 Wheat yeast real soon. It is fermenting my wheat beer and I will be transferring it sometime next week. I will be more than happy to share some of the washed yeast.

Sounds like a plan to me. I'll take a look at my stash as well and see if you need any of it.

Hey Paul, so I had 4 bottles of my Pliny clone set aside for the brewing adventure tomorrow, and the bottom of the 6-pack fell out...3 exploded everywhere on the laundry room floor. Now there is 1. :mad:

Hmmm...I may not even make it until 8:30a to crack a beer. I might mix it with my oats and whey for breakfast. :rockin:

Real-life bottle bombs! We found a bottle neck/cap probably 15-20 ft inside the house. On the bright side, the whole laundry room smells like glorious hops, at least until the sun comes out tomorrow and bakes that rancid smell for hours.

0609012316.jpg

-wheat
-kolsch
-saison
-lager

I've got a Kolsch fermenting now. I am gonna wash the yeast when I transfer. It is the wyeast 2565. I will bring you a jar when we do the grain split. I owe 1234 a jar of the pac-man when I head ya'lls way.

I'm going to be washing some of Denny's Favorite, wyeast 1450, soon if anyone wants to do some trades...

A workout partner of mine is heading back home, Indiana, to attend a wedding and I am having him pick me up some Bell's beer. Any suggestions and if need be I could probably hook up a couple of folks.

A workout partner of mine is heading back home, Indiana, to attend a wedding and I am having him pick me up some Bell's beer. Any suggestions and if need be I could probably hook up a couple of folks.

Oberon! great beer. Tell him to pick up some Three Floyds, Gumballhead is my personal favorite:rockin:

I'm going to be washing some of Denny's Favorite, wyeast 1450, soon if anyone wants to do some trades...

I want to try the Denny's. What do you need? I've got pac-man, Kolsch, standard 1056, and California V (white labs)...

5.5 gallons of Belgian Tripel in the fermenter. And Fijidaves Pliny clone was very good, a tad under carbonated, but tasty. I would have licked it off the floor, but that's just me.

_

5.5 gallons of Belgian Tripel in the fermenter. And Fijidaves Pliny clone was very good, a tad under carbonated, but tasty. I would have licked it off the floor, but that's just me.

Oh, the irony....nothing like a 15 minute pour :D Thanks for letting me show up at the Brewshed and hang out today...definitely a rockin' setup :rockin:

When these are washed in the near future, I'll pass some along.
German Ale / Kolsch Yeast - WLP029
German Lager Yeast - WLP830
Belgian Saison Yeast - Wyeast 3724
Ringwood - Wyeast 1187
Belgian Abbey II - Wyeast 1762
British Ale - WLP005
Also, I harvested the Bell's yeast from a couple Oberon and a Two-Hearted Ale for an Oberon clone that I did awhile back. Fermented out really well.

I'll be up north in Michigan at the end of July so if something happens with the Bell's purchase this time, I can pick some up then. I know I'll be buying some up for myself. I've had the Two-Hearted, Hopslam, Oberon, Best Brown, Expedition Stout, Batch 9000, and Batch 10000....all were really good. Hopslam is a bit pricey and somewhat hard to find at times, but certainly worth it.

Oh, the irony....nothing like a 15 minute pour :D Thanks for letting me show up at the Brewshed and hang out today...definitely a rockin' setup :rockin:

When these are washed in the near future, I'll pass some along.
German Ale / Kolsch Yeast - WLP029
German Lager Yeast - WLP830
Belgian Saison Yeast - Wyeast 3724
Ringwood - Wyeast 1187
Belgian Abbey II - Wyeast 1762
British Ale - WLP005
Also, I harvested the Bell's yeast from a couple Oberon and a Two-Hearted Ale for an Oberon clone that I did awhile back. Fermented out really well.

I'll be up north in Michigan at the end of July so if something happens with the Bell's purchase this time, I can pick some up then. I know I'll be buying some up for myself. I've had the Two-Hearted, Hopslam, Oberon, Best Brown, Expedition Stout, Batch 9000, and Batch 10000....all were really good. Hopslam is a bit pricey and somewhat hard to find at times, but certainly worth it.

I would love to get some Belgian Abbey yeast.

Is that 2 4 packs? If so I will see what I can do. My buddy Kyle hasn't called me back and I know he has a long drive and will have a quick turn around. I will see what can be done.

Sorry, 2-4 six packs. I don't normally travel to places where I can get Bell's.

I have for sale 4 brand new Perlick 525 SS faucets. I bought them with the intention of converting my chest freezer to a keezer, but the lid will not support it. $30 each.

That's some rockin yeast...is it still around 62?

No, I let it go, and it was rising quick, so I kept it at 68f, I will let it ramp up in a day or two to around 72, that's the max recommended for that strain. I just couldn't bring myself to follow the directions.

How did everything go on Saturday?
_

Hey Bobby, thanks for the hook up on the Better Bottles. Just let me know when I can return the favor. I was starting to have withdraws, but brew day at Kegans will hold me over till we get this grain.

I have for sale 4 brand new Perlick 525 SS faucets. I bought them with the intention of converting my chest freezer to a keezer, but the lid will not support it. $30 each.

How long are the shafts? I need one more for my setup... need about a 4" shaft. :eek: That just don't sound right :p

I have no metal shafts here! I never got around to actually buying the shafts. I bought the faucets and then discovered what a pain in the a$$ it would be to convert. Now I am selling the faucets for what I got them for.

How did everything go on Saturday?
_

Started off with a solid hangover from Friday night. A buddy of mine came in from Dallas and always brings a great selection of beers. Had my first sour...actually tried three over the weekend. It was a pretty full brewing weekend. Worked on a double red ale based around Oskar Blue's G'Knight, which is absolutely amazing. Dave Sergio, of Calfkiller, and his wife came by for a couple hours. Brought some beer and hung out for a bit. Kinda cool brewing with him. Nice to have another source of knowledge around. Missed my numbers at first but then ran a second sparge and nailed them, had to rework the hop schedule, but no biggie. Bubbling away so hard that it domed the lid on the bucket. Also got about a gallon of starter syrup off the grain.

Brewed a blonde ale on Sunday, with maerlma, the newb from Nashville. Got my highest efficiency at 77%. Almost blew out the top of a 6.5 gal carboy after 12 hours. Smells great, really nice color. Oh and got to use to the CFC for both of these. Dragging hoses in and out of the kitchen is a PITA but it was better than using the warmer ground water from outside. Definitely getting a March pump very soon.

So in the end it was a big learning weekend. Here is a picture of the beers we drank over the weekend...

bottle.png

-Two Brothers Askew Sour Ale
-Southen Tier Imperial Iniquity Black Ale
-New Belgium/Allagash Collabeeration Vrienden ale (sour)
-The Bruery Saison de Lente
-Jolly Pumpkin La Roja (this was my first sour and is now in my top 5 beers)
-Great Divide Dunkel Weiss
-Dogfish Head Namaste
-Southern Tier Oak Aged Imperial Unearthly IPA
-Three Floyds Bohemoth Barley Wine
-Elector Imperial Read Ale
-Tommyknocker Hop Strike Black Rye IPA
-Oskar Blues G'Knight

I am in need of a full-size truck on Friday to help take the grain from Madison to Hendersonville. I know Steve said he might be able to use his work truck.

1234 said:
I am in need of a full-size truck on Friday to help take the grain from Madison to Hendersonville. I know Steve said he might be able to use his work truck.

I should be able to get it all on my truck if you want. What time do you think it will be delivered?

Back