The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa whoa whoa. Chill, guys. I still have to get the replacement first. Don't want 10 gallons of pale ale roasting at 90 degrees!

But now that I know there's interest I can at least make a move. WildWest, does that offer still stand?

Actually, Fijidave is first in line, but you're a close second. My buddy actually said he has to get $120 out of it, but it's a big ole freezer.

It's freezer mania around here.:)

_

A cage match is wrestling, you don't need gloves. How did you get into Tennessee without knowing that? It's on the entrance exam.

Man I like a good cage match but I will let someone else take my place, I will watch and drink beer....

I have a feeling all of us would be sitting around drinking beer and watching the ring girls walk in circles.

I just made a new manifold for my mash tun. Got rid of the stainless mesh hose. Had about a quart left on the water test. Any thoughts on how to get the rest out or should I just count it as a loss?

image-940052050.jpg

Hey guys I am brewing a wheat beer on Sunday, I won't start until 1 PM due to work obligations. It will be a 10 gallon batch with my brewing buddy John. PM me for an address if you want to stop by.

I just made a new manifold for my mash tun. Got rid of the stainless mesh hose. Had about a quart left on the water test. Any thoughts on how to get the rest out or should I just count it as a loss?

You may get more water out if you turn the manifold around.:cross: And it's not a loss if you account for it, almost all mashtuns leave some behind.

_

wildwest450 said:
You may get more water out if you turn the manifold around.:cross: And it's not a loss if you account for it, almost all mashtuns leave some behind.

_

Do you mean flip it? I tried that and no difference. The slits are about 2/3 through the pipe. I'm thinking about displacing the bottom volume with a plastic cutting board, notched or channeled around the pipes.

Do you mean flip it? I tried that and no difference. The slits are about 2/3 through the pipe. I'm thinking about displacing the bottom volume with a plastic cutting board, notched or channeled around the pipes.

You'll see a difference when you add grain to it, it will plug up and you will be in for one long nasty brew day. Fwiw, a quart of dead space is very acceptable, I wouldn't sweat it.

_

wildwest450 said:
You'll see a difference when you add grain to it, it will plug up and you will be in for one long nasty brew day. Fwiw, a quart of dead space is very acceptable, I wouldn't sweat it.

_

So slots down? I must of missed that part.

ARGH! I had planned on getting my brother a basic 5 gallon extract plus specialty grain homebrew kit for his birthday, and it turns out a friend of his beat me to the punch. Only, get this, he bought him a one gallon all-grain BIAB batch from Brooklyn Brew Shop. One where he has to buy the pot, strainer, funnel, bottles, caps, and capper completely separately.

I just BIABed a yeast starter two weeks ago, and I had the absolute hardest time maintaining a constant mash temperature in the pot, and the wort was hopelessly cloudy. I'm just concerned he's going to try this, decide brewing isn't for him, and quit.

So now I can't buy my brother the setup I had planned on, OR offer him advice without him asking, or I'll look like a dick.

Excuse the rant. My IPA just finished carbing and I'm two pints in.

You could try not being a dick.

Seriously though, I hate it when I have a great idea for a gift and someone beats me to it, but with a lesser version. Just be open to any questions he has and do not let him know about this site. If we found out he was your brother, just imagine the dirt we could dig up.

You could try not being a dick.

Seriously though, I hate it when I have a great idea for a gift and someone beats me to it, but with a lesser version. Just be open to any questions he has and do not let him know about this site. If we found out he was your brother, just imagine the dirt we could dig up.

I for one try not to be a dick, but I mostly fail at trying not to be a dick. Just ask the wife:confused:

I'm not a dick. I'm an ass.

A dick does or says mean and hurtful things to be mean and hurtful. An ass does it for the sheer entertainment value.

I've decided on buying him a case of bottles, caps, a capper, autosiphon, bottle wand, starsan, extract, fermcap, grain bag, irish moss and priming sugar, and giving him my old 25-foot IC, 4-gallon pot, funnel w/strainer, and one of my buckets. And maybe a second 1-gallon ingredient kit with carboy and airlock.

I figure that will get him 2 gallons of beer, and then he can decide whether he likes extract or BIAB brewing better.

Man, cold beer taste so F in good when it's hot out side. I gotta start makin more session beers though so I can drink more.

Man, cold beer taste so F in good when it's hot out side. I gotta start makin more session beers though so I can drink more.

I've started to do that exact same thing. I couldn't keep drinking high-gravs all the time...after 4 or 5, my afternoon is over.

Hey Paul, you brewing your belgian on Friday?

+1

I brewed a wit this weekend that was 1.048 OG. Should end up around 4.5% abv. I did it using the "No Chill" method and left the hop sack in the pot with all the spices and orange rind. Smelled like marmalade the next morning.

I've started to do that exact same thing. I couldn't keep drinking high-gravs all the time...after 4 or 5, my afternoon is over.

Hey Paul, you brewing your belgian on Friday?

That's the plan, i'm going to thaw some starter wort right now. :mug:

_

"no chill" ...hummm, sounds like I've gotta do some research!

I've been messing around with ways to break up the brew day so that I don't have to have a six hour block to finish a beer. I'm going to try a pale ale later this summer that will take four days with each day taking less than two hours.

Day 1 - Plan, document, weigh and grind grains, weigh hops, and make starter.
Day 2 - Mash and lauter.
Day 3 - Boil.
Day 4 - Chill, pitch yeast, and Clean up.

I brewed a wit this weekend that was 1.048 OG. Should end up around 4.5% abv. I did it using the "No Chill" method and left the hop sack in the pot with all the spices and orange rind. Smelled like marmalade the next morning.

So the wort went into the carboy and then slowly cooled to room temp overnight, and then pitched yeast the next day...?

You've just added something else to my long list of things to research.

I just leave it in the pot and cooled it to pitching temps the next day with my plate chiller. Five gallons can hold quite a bit of heat and was still around 110-120°.

Hey Paul You Said this about my new mash tun manifold.

_

I remembered something I read so I pulled this up. Not Questioning you, just making sure I understood you correctly.

From
By John Palmer, column editor
Republished from BrewingTechniques' September 1997 issue.

Likewise, the slots should face up or to the sides and away from the bottom to help prevent water from channeling along the floor. (Some brewers opt to face the slots down to avoid getting them clogged with grain, but I have not found that to be a problem.

Back