The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Temporarily closed to let folks cool off.

Here's why we did what we did:
A vendor posted some simple information that he thought might be helpful.
He was immediately accused of "raping" his customers.
Several members piled on, telling the vendor he has no business posting in this thread, ending with namecalling and middle finger talk.
Then a member gloated about stirring it all up.

NONE of the responses to that vendor are consistent with the rules set forth by the site admin. It wouldn't matter if he were a vendor or even a paying member. That sort of treatment of another HBT member is not tolerated. Take a day or two to decompress, and let bygones be bygones.

This thread has been opened.

If you have any questions or issues please feel free to contact me directly.

Looks like we're back open for business! :ban:

Anyone who is coming to the hop split on the 28th - I have quite a few brewing books in electronic format that I thought I'd share. If you're interested, be sure to bring a USB or hard drive to Bobby's.

I personally thought that our thread should have never been closed and I think that Steve shouldn't have been banned for a couple of days. I have said as much to Tx.

HBT is not a democracy...

That being said, I have finally emerged from my qualifying exam hell. I am now PhD candidate and will eventually show my face again. :mug: Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the hop split on the 28th as I am taking a much earned vacation.

So I'll be bottling off an infected lager this weekend, bleach bombing the keg and force carbing my amber and hard lemonade for a Cthulhu session on Sunday.

Anyone got tips for bottling off a perlick faucet? I was just going to get some 1/2" tube, 3/16" tube, a reducer, sanitize everything up real good and dial the pressure way back.

Don't you have an old picnic faucet? Just rig up a BMBF with the picnic faucet, cork, and plastic or copper tube.

I just turn the gas down (or disconnect it) on mine and it works... it doesn't fill from the bottom, but seems to work for me. If there is foam, I have a bucket down to catch it and let the liquid push it out until I get the amount of headspace I want. Haven't noticed any problems so far.

Don't you have an old picnic faucet? Just rig up a BMBF with the picnic faucet, cork, and plastic or copper tube.

There is the Bowie Bottle Adapter, that was created by someone on HBT....search it it works great for Perlicks.

You can also use a picnic tap with a piece of polycarbonate tube pushed into the outlet, use a #2 stopper on top of the bottle and release pressure as it fills. i have a vid where I use one like this....

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we bringing homebrew to the hop split, or focusing on getting exact amounts of hops into the bags?

It's quite possible. The inside is caked with mold, up in crannies I can't even reach. The skinny brush doesn't even get it all. Why do you think I switched?

Picnics are all I ever use (atm, just havent decided what I wanna do a fridge of freezer), but I clean them religiously. When I clean the kegs I alway push hot pbw thru them and hot starsan as well. I think if u maintain them they wont get funk....

I also always spray some starsan in them before each use.

Misfits of brewing science!! A thread designed especially for me? :eek:

I recently kinda sorta went electric. Not properly electric with sensors, alteratting thingys and all that. I just mean a keggle safely plugged into 240v with a GFCI and 550 watt element.

Now, I brew almost exclusively ordinary bitter and have had no problem thus far with a boilover. Is this because of the low ingredient content in my brew, or is all that other gubbins not really necessary?

**banggg biskit!** We're back! Hell early this a.m. we were still silenced...

Yep...yesterday...15 gallons of potential liquid goodness: 5 of skeeter pee, 5 of a version of Yooper's Hard Lemonade, and 5 of Ginger beer. 5 gallons of a kolsch is almost finished, and 5 of a weizenbock is happily bubbly away. Now...I'm out.

I had a whole thread in the Vendor Review section eliminated today:ban: It seems that the owner/administrator doesn't want useful vendor information to get out. I started a thread about Nikobrew's business and I thought I put some useful information out in a very clear and concise manner. I didn't cuss or use any hateful language. I have been told by the administrator that he doesn't see where the information is useful since I haven't bought or done business with said vendor:mug:

Picnics are all I ever use (atm, just havent decided what I wanna do a fridge of freezer), but I clean them religiously. When I clean the kegs I alway push hot pbw thru them and hot starsan as well. I think if u maintain them they wont get funk....

I also always spray some starsan in them before each use.

If you only clean them once a year, it's easier.

Just unscrew the top, and peel the plastic-like bacterial biofilm out.

:ban:

Thumbs down for Yuri shutting down our thread for a couple of days:mad: The power of the Tennessee brewer is strong and my phone list is big. If you like to save money and want to buy in bulk make sure I have you in my phone. If I don't then you are wasting money:ban:

I'm back. You guys are hilarious. Although I dislike what happened, I hold no grudges. The way I see it is I just got caught up in a situation where I was the one who wouldn't shut up. After talking to Yooper I see it from her stand point and chalk it up to words lost in translation. They took it as FU Mods and that's not the way I meant it although I can see how they saw it that way. I asked for permission to quote and reiterate Niko but was told just to leave it alone. So that's what I'm doin.
Anyway looking forward to the group getogether and bringing beer, scale and baggies.

maffewl said:
There... fixed that for ya. XD

Haha, thanks. I do have that cream ale on tap again. Everybody that's drank it loves it. Although they are not BJCP judges like you, just BMC and craft guys. All fun aside 10% pils doesn't really require a 90 min boil to drive off DMS and cooling to pitch temps rapidly, greatly reduces DMS. From John Palmer "Like Diacetyl in ales, DMS is common in many light lagers and is considered to be part of the character." Cream ales are also in this style. So it is acceptable to a certain level, specially since DMS is corn flavored and cream ales consist of partial corn. Diacetyl is butter/butterscotch and usually from under pitching or under aerating, which has not been a issue for me in a long time.

maffewl said:
I just turn the gas down (or disconnect it) on mine and it works... it doesn't fill from the bottom, but seems to work for me. If there is foam, I have a bucket down to catch it and let the liquid push it out until I get the amount of headspace I want. Haven't noticed any problems so far.

Same thing I do. Turn the gas down to 4 psi and bleed keg. Works good for me too. I've drank bottles 3+ months old with good carb and no oxidation with this method.

I hope to make it out even though I don't have any hops on order though i'm not inclined to think it will happen. I may well be closing on my first house on the 27th and if that's the case, i'll have family down helping move me out of the apartment....

That said, once i've gotten moved in, despite there being basically nothing there but a couch, a beer fridge, and a TV, i'm going to host a get together if people are interested. Nothing special, just drinking a bunch of peoples home brew and hanging out.

I'm back. You guys are hilarious. Although I dislike what happened, I hold no grudges. The way I see it is I just got caught up in a situation where I was the one who wouldn't shut up. After talking to Yooper I see it from her stand point and chalk it up to words lost in translation. They took it as FU Mods and that's not the way I meant it although I can see how they saw it that way. I asked for permission to quote and reiterate Niko but was told just to leave it alone. So that's what I'm doin.
Anyway looking forward to the group getogether and bringing beer, scale and baggies.

I just find it odd that the mods removed all posts except for Niko's original one. Is that there as a reminder, kind of a scar on the thread?

I just find it odd that the mods removed all posts except for Niko's original one. Is that there as a reminder, kind of a scar on the thread?

Agreed. A reminder to don't get out of line or else.
Bobby got banned for 7 days for not "leaving it alone".:mad:

Latest posts

Back