The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So who here has stabilized and backsweetened wine before? I want to have my hard lemonade force carbed by Sunday. If I hit it with campden and sorbate in primary now, will Saturday be enough time before adding sugar?

bernerbrau said:
So who here has stabilized and backsweetened wine before? I want to have my hard lemonade force carbed by Sunday. If I hit it with campden and sorbate in primary now, will Saturday be enough time before adding sugar?

Ive been contemplating doing a hard lemonade. Do mind sharing you recipe?

I've done it a few times. You can actually back sweeten when you stabilize, but I'd give at least a day between stabilizing and sweetening. Generally, I give it more than a couple days though...more along the lines of at least week.

Here's a link to SkeeterPee. Made it last year; pretty damn good. Came in around 11%. I have 5 gallons of Yooper's recipe fermenting right now, at 8.5%, as well as another batch of SkeeterPee at 12.5%. The one thing I would recommend is to get the ReaLemon Juice. A friend picked up the ingredients last year and got the Kroger brand. It had a funk to it that carried through to the final product--not bad/funk, just a weird processed smell. Hell, maybe the ReaLemon has it too. I'd never bought bottled lemon juice before. But you can get a 2-pack at Sam's for cheap. Yooper's recipe uses frozen lemonade concentration. I'm about 4 days into fermentation and it smells damn good already. I would certainly take the extra couple days of going through the process of gradually adding the must to the yeast starter to help build up the tolerance to the high acidity of the lemon juice.

Fijidave12 said:
Here's a link to SkeeterPee. Made it last year; pretty damn good. Came in around 11%. I have 5 gallons of Yooper's recipe fermenting right now, at 8.5%, as well as another batch of SkeeterPee at 12.5%. The one thing I would recommend is to get the ReaLemon Juice. A friend picked up the ingredients last year and got the Kroger brand. It had a funk to it that carried through to the final product--not bad/funk, just a weird processed smell. Hell, maybe the ReaLemon has it too. I'd never bought bottled lemon juice before. But you can get a 2-pack at Sam's for cheap. Yooper's recipe uses frozen lemonade concentration. I'm about 4 days into fermentation and it smells damn good already. I would certainly take the extra couple days of going through the process of gradually adding the must to the yeast starter to help build up the tolerance to the high acidity of the lemon juice.

Thanks Dave. I've been looking at both of those. I think I'll do something like Yoopers. So do you make all the must then add a little each day over 2 days to the starter? How big of starter? While the rest of the must just sits? What yeast did you use? 70 F ferment? Thanks.

I'm doing an open ferment on it using the Premier Cuvee yeast. It was what I had on hand. Used the Montrachet in the Skeeter Pee. Really any wine yeast will work. I made 5 gallons of must with all the sugar and half the lemonade concentrate (5 cans). Added this 4 times to rehydrate/feed the yeast for a few hours (probably a 1.5 qt total). Then added the camden tablets and other half of lemonade (5 cans) to the must. The following morning, I started to introduce this to the starter, once the campden had time to work their magic and the yeast had time to acclimate to the half-strength starter. Added probably another 1-1.5qt to the starter over the next 36 hrs, in 2-3 additions. Pitched probably a 3qt starter around 48 hrs after starting it.

The rest of it will just sit for those 2 days. There is so much acid that nothing will take hold. And I just draped a couple kitchen towels over the top to keep anything from falling in. It's fermenting at room temp, around 70-71df...best to keep it between 70-78df. When I rack it off to a carboy to stabilize/clear/back sweeten, I'll use an airlock then. But Yooper has racked straight to pitchers and chilled. So it will certainly have a quick turn-around time.

This is the one I used:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/good-hard-lemonade-27966/

I used Minute Maid concentrate, EC-1118, wheat DME and distilled water. Injected it with pure O2, added lots of nutrient and energizer to keep the yeast healthy. Didn't control the temperature, just left it on the concrete floor in my garage which kept it at a steady 68 most of the time. It was down to 1.000 in 2 weeks. I've had a sample and it's delicious, if a bit dry.

Last night I heated a cup of water in the microwave for 3 minutes, added 2 1/2 tsp K-sorbate and 1/4 tsp K-meta and dissolved, waited a bit for it to cool and dumped it into primary. Gonna give it until Saturday then I'm going to invert a pound of sugar with some citric acid, toss it in the keg and rack the whole thing on top of it before force carbing.

Anyone have any yeast they want to swap at the hop split? I have a ton of 2nd generation Sierra Nevada Pale Ale harvested yeast...

Anyone have any yeast they want to swap at the hop split? I have a ton of infected 2nd generation Sierra Nevada Pale Ale harvested yeast...

beehive.gif

I usually make limoncello about this time of year. I use 100 proof vodka for the steep, and end up at around 67 proof final product. I add two shots of citrus vodka, two shots of my limoncello, and 2/3 fill with lemonade. Pour over crushed ice and top with club soda.

Yeah, I've only brewed 2 since then as well. I think this Sierra Nevada will be my new house strain... it's very clean and I've been very happy with the results. It also doesn't hurt that instead of paying $6+ for a new vial/pack, I can just buy a sixer of Pale Ale for a few bucks more.

Anyone have any yeast they want to swap at the hop split? I have a ton of 2nd generation Sierra Nevada Pale Ale harvested yeast...

I have some of Rebel Brewer American Pub Ale Yeast WLP250 that I can trade you if you are interested. I made an Amarillo Pale Ale with it that I'm about to bottle.

I didnt care for rebel yeast. I thought it was terribly slow and didn't want to drop out for nothing. Also had it stop early ( but a quick shake got it going again). Never had this happen be4 with any other yeast. I might have got an off vial I dont know but I know I wont buy it again.

Also I was told that it gets better after the 2nd repitch. I plan on bringing a jar to the hop split maybe 2.

Csuho said:
I didnt care for rebel yeast. I thought it was terribly slow and didn't want to drop out for nothing. Also had it stop early ( but a quick shake got it going again). Never had this happen be4 with any other yeast. I might have got an off vial I dont know but I know I wont buy it again.

Also I was told that it gets better after the 2nd repitch. I plan on bringing a jar to the hop split maybe 2.

Ive used the rebel yeast and really like it. It did take a while to ferment out (14 days) but I didn't have any issues with it dropping out. I cold crash though and that helps. And it finished my apa at 1008. Its def faster on the 2nd and 3rd try

Additionally, I really like the character it has. Works nice in my house apa

For Saturday: Will start the brew day around 9a. Bobby said if you show up then, to expect to get your hands dirty. Bagging/tagging of the hops will start around 10a. As always, he said home brews are appreciated.

PM me for his address/cell#

Ive used the rebel yeast and really like it. It did take a while to ferment out (14 days) but I didn't have any issues with it dropping out. I cold crash though and that helps. And it finished my apa at 1008. Its def faster on the 2nd and 3rd try

Additionally, I really like the character it has. Works nice in my house apa

I am not that patient I am used to 05 and notty being done in like 4 days. I still have 2 more jars to try again. right now we are gonna see how the Bells yeast does.

Bell's yeast is great. Brewed an Oberon-ish recipe which turned out really well. Took about 7-8 days to finish its business.

Dave- what temps have you used it at? I couldn't find anything really on it beside someone starting it at 64 and rising to 70 over the course of 3 weeks. I got it going at 65 right now on a Popcorn Cream ale. I need it to get done quick it was a low gravity beer only 1.045. This the a rebrew of the same recipe I originally used us-05 on it and its pretty good I am gonna bring some with me Saturday.

I'm going to have to plant in containers this year so I can take them when I move. Should I go with rhizomes or crowns, and besides price, are there any advantages of rhizomes over crowns? I'm leaning towards the crowns through GLH.

Latest posts

Back