The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally brewed a beer to stick in ye old whiskey barrel. She's a face puncher!

Boil Size: 9.58 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.57 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.082 SG
Estimated Color: 7.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 106.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
2.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
1.00 tsp Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
16 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 82.8 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.1 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6 5.1 %
6.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7 1.9 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.20 %] - First Wo Hop 8 33.2 IBUs
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9 5.1 %
1.00 oz Nugget [11.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 10 26.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 11 18.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 12 -
1.25 oz Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 13 9.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 14 7.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 15 8.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Crystal [3.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 16 3.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg San Diego Super Yeast (White Labs #WLP09 Yeast 17 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body,
Total Grain Weight: 19 lbs 10 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 29.99 qt of water at 160.7 F 150.0 F 75 min

2012-01-06_09-16-33_914.jpg

Is that the same barrel that's been handed around from the tap room? I thought I heard a sour was in that. I might be mistaken. I'd love to have that for my Bourbon Barrel Ale.

No, it's from the distillery in Nashville. I hope it doesn't turn sour, i've heard it's a possibility.

A few batches ago, I had one of my bourbon barrels turn sour cause of the wood. I've been boiling the wood ever since.

I was just scanning through the 70 pages of this thread and I can't find the link to that distillery in Nashville that was selling the Oak Barrels. I was wondering how much they were. Somebody remind me please what page or how much, if still available. Now that we have two SEC National Champions, and a possible three way OK St. split honestly. I think the BCS definitely needs reworked before next year when the contract is up.

I don't know when that was discussed, but the only distillery I know of in Nashville is Corsair. I believe the are located in the old Yazoo building and have a taproom as well. If any of you guys watch American Pickers on History channel, they keep showing a shop they just opened in the same building right next to it.

Yeh it was Corsair. Bobbys gona check on it for me. Thanks guys. Also might be gettin a few Oxygen tanks. Price will be reasonable. Anybody interested?

It wasn't Corsair, it was Collier & McKeel. Corsair had the distiller's licence and 3 groups were in the same building. I think Corsair is the only one left in the building, at least that is what I was led to believe. Collier & McKeel was selling them, we just got the best discount available, free!

If anybody is interested in a barrel let me know as I am checking on them for Steve.

Hey guys, new to the brewing world and 1234 invited me over here to chitchat.

Just finished bottling my first batch of Amber that turned out to be around 3.9% and last night I brewed up a fine Guinness Clone that I added in some extra malt extract to up the percentage on. I can't freaking wait for that one!

Anyway, new to brewing and new to homebrewtalk.

Born a Floridian, but converted to a Tennessean through marriage :)

Just finished bottling my first batch of Amber that turned out to be around 3.9% and last night I brewed up a fine Guinness Clone that I added in some extra malt extract to up the percentage on. I can't freaking wait for that one!

Welcome aboard IrishJosh. :mug:

Welcome aboard IrishJosh. Happy Brewing:mug:

How is everybody doing on grain? I know it is January and some of your, or should I say me, aren't really brewing a lot, but who needs grain? I would be in for 3 sacks of base malt and I need some honey malt. Does anybody want to sell me some Flaked Maize?

How is everybody doing on grain? I know it is January and some of your, or should I say me, aren't really brewing a lot, but who needs grain? I would be in for 3 sacks of base malt and I need some honey malt. Does anybody want to sell me some Flaked Maize?

I was going to call and ask if we were planning another buy soon... I could definitely use some 2-Row, Chocolate, C-60, and several others.

Sorry, but I barely have any Flaked Maize, so can't help you there.

Do you guys really brew that much beer to buy in bulk?

I can barely convince my wife that 2 batches at once is "needed"...

IrishJosh said:

Haha. Yeh. Tell her if you buy in bulk you can cut the price to a third.
I'll be in on at least a couple sacks and a few splits. As well as some maize.

Stevo2569 said:
also I might be getting some oxygen tanks. Price will be reasonable. Anybody interested?

Bump. These are the small ones. Maybe 4"X11" for like $15-20 per.

I was going to call and ask if we were planning another buy soon... I could definitely use some 2-Row, Chocolate, C-60, and several others.

Sorry, but I barely have any Flaked Maize, so can't help you there.

How much C-60 and chocolate do you want/need. I have quite a bit of both. How many full sacks would you be in for?

If the grain is stored properly it is good for at least 18 months. A sack of base malts only last for up to 5 brew days on session style beers. I brew 10 gallons of session style beer for around $12.

Got bubbles in the airlock, bubbles in the airlock, bubbles in the airlock, Buuubbbllleeessss innnn theeee airloooooock! Woo, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo.

That is all.

I'd be interested (depending on price) since I sent the one I had on down to Paul.
I will be done with that one in a few weeks, unless you're in a hurry. The IIPA should be done in a week or less, then however long it needs to be in the barrel, shouldn't take too long.

Does anybody want to sell me some Flaked Maize?

I have some, how much do you need?

How much C-60 and chocolate do you want/need. I have quite a bit of both. How many full sacks would you be in for?

Want - 11 lbs. of each... Need - Maybe 5 lbs. of each.

You could put me down for at least 2 full sacks, maybe 3 or 4 depending on if I can get my buddies into brewing more.

wildwest450 said:
Will these regulators fit on them? Do they come full? If so, i'm interested.

I'm pretty sure. They are standard medical grade. He is supposed to call me back to tell me if they were full and the dates on them. He has four so and I want one so if I can get the other three spoken for I'll definitely get em. Anybody else?

image-3561211622.png

I'm pretty sure. They are standard medical grade. He is supposed to call me back to tell me if they were full and the dates on them. He has four so and I want one so if I can get the other three spoken for I'll definitely get em. Anybody else?

Can they be refilled?

Can they be refilled?

Not unless you have a Rx script. I just called airgas and he told me that medical grade bottles cannot be refilled unless you have a medical license, not even with welding grade. But he said any Dive shop would refill them and I couldnt get anyone at our local Dive shop. so MAYBE...Others on here have said that the little disposable bottles last a long time.
He called me back and they were made in 09 (Good for 5yrs or 2014) and there are full. They are 170 L. He's going to check on regulators and tubing and get back with me.

I have 18 kegs, and they need a fillin'. I'm down to less than 30 gallons kegged, but luckily have 20 gallons fermenting.

Got bubbles in the airlock, bubbles in the airlock, bubbles in the airlock, Buuubbbllleeessss innnn theeee airloooooock! Woo, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo.

That is all.

Wait until you have an airlock embedded in a ceiling tile someday. That's always fun.

:rockin:

Wait until you have an airlock embedded in a ceiling tile someday. That's always fun.

:rockin:

Seriously? I bet the wife would just love that...

Hopefully that doesn't happen until I am firmly entrenched in my new hobby and can come up with a reasonable explanation on why it would never happen again. :fro:

Not unless you have a Rx script. I just called airgas and he told me that medical grade bottles cannot be refilled unless you have a medical license, not even with welding grade.

Seriously? That is f'n ridiculous that you can't get an oxygen tank filled.

Seriously? I bet the wife would just love that...

Hopefully that doesn't happen until I am firmly entrenched in my new hobby and can come up with a reasonable explanation on why it would never happen again. :fro:

Boyle is a harsh mistress.

Yeast are hungry, and their farts are to be feared.

Seriously? That is f'n ridiculous that you can't get an oxygen tank filled.

Even so, they look way bigger than the $8 ones i've been buying at Lowes that you have to toss.

Stevo, I may just take 2 if the price is decent. I'm just not sure my regulator will fit on there.

wildwest450 said:
Even so, they look way bigger than the $8 ones i've been buying at Lowes that you have to toss.

Stevo, I may just take 2 if the price is decent. I'm just not sure my regulator will fit on there.

How many batches per bottle and how many liters or oz in those?

How many batches per bottle and how many liters or oz in those?

Don't know, I just started using them two batches ago. The tank says 1lb 4oz net weight. I just found out you can't use that reg with the medical tank, I may be out, sorry. I think regs for those tanks are kinda expensive. Need to do some more research.

wildwest450 said:
Don't know, I just started using them two batches ago. The tank says 1lb 4oz net weight. I just found out you can't use that reg with the medical tank, I may be out, sorry. I think regs for those tanks are kinda expensive. Need to do some more research.

That sucks. Well maybe he will call back and have a few regulators with it.

Hey all new to brewing and the forums. Im in East Nashville if anyone wants to grab a beer some place I'm interested in meeting other beer lovers to learn more. Just made my first 2 batches this week a Red Ale and a Cider so can't wait.

Back