The Last Straw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brehm21

Reaction score
Well, it happened.
I have perhaps bottled my last batch of beer.

Saturday night I started soaking and peeling labels. Takes forever in my small kitchen sink. I spent hours the next day peeling more labels, sanitizing, bottling and cleaning. About 3 hours of my Sunday gone altogether. Then, to top it off, I opened an Amber Alt I'm drinking and it didn't taste as great as some of the others. I've been fighting inconsistent flavors/carbonation from one bottle to the next for the last couple batches. After bottling all day and having an off taste, I sat down and ordered the 3 keg system from ebrew. I'd been shopping a bit and this was about the best system deal I could find. Plus, some other folks here seem to have had good experiences with them.

I'm stoked!! :rockin: I've got some Chocolate Milk Stout that can go in a keg this weekend.....that is....if I receive them, clean them, fill my CO2, and study up on some technique............time to start reading more!

I'm with ya!

I spent several hours this past Friday bottling up 10 gallons of a so-so ESB I brewed up. I decided to bottle it in the 12oz bottles as I'm not sure if I'm going to be thrilled with it. I think it took me about 2 hours to bottle due to various issues and problems. Maybe longer. I'm trying to erase it from my memory. I think I'm making a short road trip Thursday to pick up some kegs from a local soda pop distributor. Now I just need to pull the trigger on a CO2 tank and regulator.

I hate bottling.

Congrats! Kegging is great. It saves a ton of time and its cool. My neighbors and friends love to come over and have a choice of beers on tap in my garage.
It gives a different perspactive though when you go to your neighborhood bar. I pretty much always have better beer on tap at home. Lol!

brehm21 said:
Well, it happened.
I have perhaps bottled my last batch of beer.

Saturday night I started soaking and peeling labels. Takes forever in my small kitchen sink. I spent hours the next day peeling more labels, sanitizing, bottling and cleaning. About 3 hours of my Sunday gone altogether. Then, to top it off, I opened an Amber Alt I'm drinking and it didn't taste as great as some of the others. I've been fighting inconsistent flavors/carbonation from one bottle to the next for the last couple batches. After bottling all day and having an off taste, I sat down and ordered the 3 keg system from ebrew. I'd been shopping a bit and this was about the best system deal I could find. Plus, some other folks here seem to have had good experiences with them.

I'm stoked!! :rockin: I've got some Chocolate Milk Stout that can go in a keg this weekend.....that is....if I receive them, clean them, fill my CO2, and study up on some technique............time to start reading more!

:off: You're kidding me. West Liberty? I live in Bellefontaine and lived in WL as a kid. Small world. You've got to making your homebrew as you're living in one of the few dry townships in Ohio. Cheers!:cross:

Unless you are pushed for carboys, you can just leave your stout alone until a keg is ready. You don't even need the CO2, enough CO2 will come out of solution to fill the head space.

I went straight to kegs and I'm certain I would not be brewing if I hadn't. I clean my kegs when they blow and store them under pressure with a little sanitizer, so kegging a batch takes about 5 minutes + flow time.

Can't hack the $$$ for more kegs yet. First I need to land a chest freezer and some faucets. For now I'll have to make due with a fridge out in the workshop. A decent kegerator setup will be the next expenditure. Then I'll start charging my wife $3.50 a pint for beer, and I'll quickly have enough money to buy many more kegs.......or I'll be living out in the workshop with my beer and kegerator.......not bad either! :D

Everything came today! The regulator is nicer than I was expecting. The kegs are certainly used, but in good enough shape. Held pressure. Shipping was fast. 2 days from NC to OH. :ban:

I'm stoked!!!

Double check to make sure you don't have gaskets that smell like root beer. That will stink up a beer like crazy.

Welcome to kegging. I can still bottle a 6 or 12 pack from the keg for transport or to hold onto some brew for keepsake.

Until you can tap that stout, hopefully this will hold you over.... :mug:

APA_Kegged.jpg

Back