temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djfulp

Reaction score
I have a A419ABG-3C electronic temperature control made by Johnson Controls. It is a digital blue box with A419 on the top. I am having troubles keeping the temperature regulated. I have the set point at 64 but the temperature keeps dropping down into the 50s. The differential is set at three degrees and I have tried the cooling mode with both the cut-in and cut-out setting. Does anyone know how to keep the temperature from falling so low and how to keep the temperature closer to 64 on a regular basis?

I had similar problems when I first started using my A419. Try submerging the temperature probe in water and/or changing the differential to one. That's what I have mine set on and it never wavers more than 2 degrees. It's not per design, but I'm in the military, so I subscribe to the "good enough for government work" philosophy.

Yeah I have 7 cubic foot chest freezer.

I read somewhere previously that chest freezers have an issue of cooling in uneven sections. The lowest spot being the coldest then when u get up to the lip there could be as much as a ten degree difference. Some of the threads in response had said u should install a small low voltage van to help circulate the air to maintain uniform temps. Im sorry im trying to find a link but I can't seem to pinpoint the exact one.

That along with the suggestion nukebrewer made about keeping the probe in water, thats the only thing I could suggest.

Back