How to heat a decently large amount of water and recommended containers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentrell

Reaction score
Now, this technically isn't brewing at all, but I have a very particular issue relating to heating water. I have some raw unsanforized jeans I need to soak in some lukewarm to hot water, first trying just lukewarm and then hot water, so I need to be able to control the temperature. Usually it is recommended to soak raw unsanforized jeans in a bathtub, and there you can obviously control how hot the water is. The problem? I can't use that tub or any tap water due to how hard the water is where I live. So is there any device I could use to heat up a large amount of distilled water and dispense into a container, with more precise heating controls? I don't think a kettle will work at all. I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive solution that doesn't require any sort of complicated installation. Like something portable. Also, what containers would fit an average pair of jeans that can also withstand hotter water temperatures? Thanks in advance!

What kind of volume and temperature are we talking about, and just how precisely do you need to control the temperature? If you heat a gallon of water to near boiling on your stove top and add it to two gallons of room temperature water in a cooler, you'll have three gallons of water at about 110-120 F. And you can obviously adjust the temperature up or down from there. Seems like that would be at least as good as a bathtub.

I don't really know about the temperature besides lukewarm doesn't cause as much shrinkage as hot water; a lot of shrinking denim seems to be an inexact science to say the least. I just need the container to be large enough to be able to fully submerge like 29x36 jeans (The inseam is super long to allow for shrinkage). Also my house is cold AF so room temperature is not really room temperature here 😭

this will heat 10 liters of water up to 110 degrees and keep it there . not sure if it will fit your jeans tho

https://www.vevor.com/wax-melter-c_...wB-NUmJxsKUR3qysFNK_bOveZfedDcccaAuAYEALw_wcB
also for a container that will hold warm water you will prolly want a lid also to maintain that heat.
other wise any temp appropriatley rated vessel will work
Can you use regular water in that? Also, any recommendations on heat retaining tub-shaped containers? I need to fit 29x36 jeans and have them be fully submerged laying flat, so it would have to be pretty large.

[...] Also, any recommendations on heat retaining tub-shaped containers? I need to fit 29x36 jeans and have them be fully submerged laying flat, so it would have to be pretty large.
I don't think they need to lie flat, but I'm no fancy jeans expert, mine come from Kohl's. ;)

A simple search yielded this site with an example how to soak (sanforize) them:
https://www.blueowl.us/blogs/news/how-to-soak-unsanforized-raw-denim
Now the pricing of those jeans listed on the bottom of that page makes me go: Whaaaa!

Look into turkey fryers, consisting of a propane burner and large kettle. Those typically hold around 7-10 gallons. They're around $100-150 new, but you might find a good used one for much less on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

Seems to me that a bunch of 110 degree water can simply come from one's faucet, out of their home's water heater. Fill your bathtub with it.
OP says he can't use his tap water because it's too hard. Doesn't say why hard water is bad for raw denim. Not sure what's wrong with using other water in the bathtub though.

I guess I read that then forgot. I think you could still use distilled to rinse afterwards perhaps. Also if the water's that hard, and the jeans can't be exposed to it, will they never be washed?

Take them to the dry cleaners. Or just not worry about it and wash them as you do all your other clothes. Cold wash and cold rinse is the normal thing today. Don't dry them in a dryer. Hang them up on a hanger or clothes line. They'll be stiff, but they won't shrink as much as if they were put in the dryer. They'll soften up soon after you put them on and move around. That's actually how my wife does our jeans and some of our other clothes. If you need them dried before tomorrow, then hang them in a breeze. IE, a fan or under a air vent.

I don't understand your concern the for hard water. What to you do for your other clothes? Also, isn't the idea behind getting un-sanforized jeans that they do shrink and when you stick yourself into them they get molded to your body? If you don't want shrinkage, then I'd think sanforized jeans would be the thing to get.

Depending just how large a volume is actually needed, a sous vide cooker/circulator in a container similar to shown a few posts seem like could heat and maintain the necessary temperature setpoint.

Back