BrewPiLessGx: BrewPiLess with Touched TFT display

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found this: the way I interpret it, I can assign ADC to any pin 4-14 (and a few others).

GPIO pins​

ESP32-S3 has 45 GPIO pins, where a subset can be used as ADC channel and as low-power digital input/output in deep-sleep mode, the so-called RTC GPIOs. Some of them are used by special SoC components and are not broken out on all ESP32-S3 modules. The following table gives a short overview.

PinTypeADCRTCPU / PDSpecial functionRemarks
GPIO0In/Out-XX-Bootstrapping
GPIO1In/OutXXX--
GPIO2In/OutXXX--
GPIO3In/OutXXX-Bootstrapping
GPIO4In/OutXXX--
GPIO5In/OutXXX--
GPIO6In/OutXXX--
GPIO7In/OutXXX--
GPIO8In/OutXXX--
GPIO9In/OutXXX--
GPIO10In/OutXXX--
GPIO11In/OutXXX--
GPIO12In/OutXXX--
GPIO13In/OutXXX--
GPIO14In/OutXXX--
GPIO15In/OutXXXXTAL_32K_PExternal 32k crystal
GPIO16In/OutXXXXTAL_32K_NExternal 32k crystal
GPIO17In/OutXXX--
GPIO18In/OutXXX--
GPIO19In/OutXXXUSB D-USB 2.0 OTG / USB-JTAG bridge
GPIO20In/OutXXXUSB D+USB 2.0 OTG / USB-JTAG bridge
GPIO21In/Out-XX--
GPIO26In/Out--XFlash/PSRAM SPICS1not available if SPI RAM is used
GPIO27In/Out--XFlash/PSRAM SPIHDnot available
GPIO28In/Out--XFlash/PSRAM SPIWPnot available
GPIO29In/Out--XFlash/PSRAM SPICS0not available
GPIO30In/Out--XFlash/PSRAM SPICLKnot available
GPIO31In/Out--XFlash/PSRAM SPIQnot available
GPIO32In/Out--XFlash/PSRAM SPIDnot available
GPIO33In/Out--XFlash/PSRAM SPIQ4not available if octal Flash or SPI RAM is used
GPIO34In/Out--XFlash/PSRAM SPIQ5not available if octal Flash or SPI RAM is used
GPIO35In/Out--XFlash/PSRAM SPIQ6not available if octal Flash or SPI RAM is used
GPIO36In/Out--XFlash/PSRAM SPIQ7not available if octal Flash or SPI RAM is used
GPIO37In/Out--XFlash/PSRAM SPIQ8not available if octal Flash or SPI RAM is used
GPIO38In/Out--XFlash/PSRAM SPIDQSnot available if octal Flash or SPI RAM is used
GPIO39In/Out--XMTCKJTAG interface
GPIO40In/Out--XMTDOJTAG interface
GPIO41In/Out--XMTDIJTAG interface
GPIO42In/Out--XMTMSJTAG interface
GPIO43In/Out--XUART0 TXConsole
GPIO44In/Out--XUART0 RXConsole
GPIO45In/Out--X-Bootstrapping (0 - 3.3V, 1 - 1.8V)
GPIO46In/Out--X-Bootstrapping
GPIO47In/Out--XSPICLK_P-
GPIO48In/Out--XSPICLK_N-
PSRAM - Stands for pseudo-static RAM and refers to the SPI RAM.

ADC: Pins that can be used as ADC channels.
RTC: Pins that are RTC GPIOs and can be used in deep-sleep mode.
PU/PD: Pins that have software configurable pull-up/pull-down functionality.

Strapping pins​

GPIO0, GPIO3, GPIO45 and GPIO46 are bootstrapping. GPIO0 and GPIO46 pins are used to boot ESP32-S3 in different modes:

GPIO0GPIO46Mode
1XSPI Boot mode to boot the firmware from flash (default mode)
01Download Boot mode for flashing the firmware

If EFUSE_STRAP_JTAG_SEL is set, GPIO3 is used to select the interface that is used as JTAG interface.

GPIO3Mode
1USB-JTAG bridge at GPIO19 and GPIO20 is used as JTAG interface
0GPIO39 to GPIO42 are used as JTAG interface

NoteIf EFUSE_DIS_USB_JTAG or EFUSE_DIS_PAD_JTAG are set, the interface selection is fixed and GPIO3 is not used as bootstrapping pin.
GPIO45 is used to select the voltage VDD_SPI for the Flash/PSRAM interfaces SPI0 and SPI1.

ADC Channels​

ESP32-S3 integrates two 12-bit ADCs (ADC1 and ADC2) with 20 channels in total:

• ADC1 supports 10 channels: GPIO1 ... GPIO10
  • ADC2 supports 10 channels: GPIO11 ... GPIO20
Source: https://doc.riot-os.org/group__cpu__esp32__esp32s3.html

I've been playing with the WT32-SC01 Plus to get it running on this project but cannot seem to get past a Pressure Monitor error when trying to build. I added the build flag mentioned in the ReadMe file but to no avail.

src/bpl/PressureMonitor.cpp: In member function 'int PressureMonitorClass::_readInternalAdc()':
src/bpl/PressureMonitor.cpp:63:28: error: 'ADC1_GPIOPressureAdcPin_CHANNEL' was not declared in this scope
#define ConcateChanel(pin) ADC1_GPIO ## pin ## _CHANNEL
^~~~~~~~~
src/bpl/PressureMonitor.cpp:64:34: note: in expansion of macro 'ConcateChanel'
#define AdcChannelFromPinNr(pin) ConcateChanel(pin)
^~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/bpl/PressureMonitor.cpp:86:37: note: in expansion of macro 'AdcChannelFromPinNr'
adc_reading += adc1_get_raw(AdcChannelFromPinNr(PressureAdcPin));
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/bpl/PressureMonitor.cpp:63:28: note: suggested alternative: 'ADC1_GPIO7_CHANNEL'
^~~~~~~~~
^~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/bpl/PressureMonitor.cpp:86:37: note: in expansion of macro 'AdcChannelFromPinNr'
adc_reading += adc1_get_raw(AdcChannelFromPinNr(PressureAdcPin));
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/bpl/PressureMonitor.cpp: In member function 'void PressureMonitorClass::_initInternalAdc()':
src/bpl/PressureMonitor.cpp:154:13: error: 'PressureAdcPin' was not declared in this scope
pinMode(PressureAdcPin, INPUT);
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/bpl/PressureMonitor.cpp:154:13: note: suggested alternative: 'PressureDecode'
pinMode(PressureAdcPin, INPUT);
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PressureDecode
src/bpl/PressureMonitor.cpp:63:28: error: 'ADC1_GPIOPressureAdcPin_CHANNEL' was not declared in this scope
^~~~~~~~~
^~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/bpl/PressureMonitor.cpp:157:31: note: in expansion of macro 'AdcChannelFromPinNr'
adc1_config_channel_atten(AdcChannelFromPinNr(PressureAdcPin),ADC_ATTEN_DB_11); // 3.9v scale
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Compiling .pio/build/WT32_SC01_PLUS/src/bpl/TiltListener.cpp.o
src/bpl/PressureMonitor.cpp:63:28: note: suggested alternative: 'ADC1_GPIO7_CHANNEL'
^~~~~~~~~
^~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/bpl/PressureMonitor.cpp:157:31: note: in expansion of macro 'AdcChannelFromPinNr'
adc1_config_channel_atten(AdcChannelFromPinNr(PressureAdcPin),ADC_ATTEN_DB_11); // 3.9v scale
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*** [.pio/build/WT32_SC01_PLUS/src/bpl/PressureMonitor.cpp.o] Error 1

This is the text output in VScode. I don't need pressure monitoring... From my research, ADC pins are not available on this display module unless you disable WiFi which I do not want to do.

For reference, this is my addition to the pindef.h file:

#if WT32_SC01_PLUS
#define oneWirePin 21
#define actuatorPin1 10
#define actuatorPin2 11
#define actuatorPin3 12
#define actuatorPin4 13
#define actuatorPin5 14
#endif

WT32 SC01+ is a ESP32S3 device, so add
-DCONFIG_IDF_TARGET_ESP32S3=true
to the
build_flags
in platformio.ini

Moreover, only GPIO 10, in this case, is good for ADC.

I've been fermenting for five days now and found that if there's a gap in logging (my power supply was connected to the smart switch I use for Christmas tree lights :) then when you start up again there's a gap in the log. That's as expected. But if it happens a second time (because I am slow and it took me another day to figure out what was going on :) then the first gap disappears, the data to the right of where the gap was moved to the left. So it appears to allow only a single concurrent gap in the log and concatenates to the left if there's a second gap when power is applied again. This is admittedly a niche case as one would normally keep the power on. (I'll transfer to cask in a couple of days then I'll dismantle the breadboard to check if there's anything interfering with the parasite glycol switch).

A separate observation: if I tap the graph in the web interface, all the plots disappear until the next update. I think the xy axes may get transposed when you tap the graph, as all the square green icons (indicating profile, or constant temp) along the x-axis flip to the y axis. This happened in both the web and android mobile interface. If you wait for the next data update then it appears again.

Last edited:
For pressure measurement, is there any advantage in using a separate ADC chip when using an esp32 or is that only really necessary for an esp8266 (when the adc analogRead() is occasionally interrupted when used by wifi). I understand the esp32 ADC is nonlinear but it appears to be reproducible; I've not noticed any obvious offset at returning to 0 psi at least.

I ran test build with the flag "-DSupportPressureTransducer=false" with a fresh clone into VScode. For some reason this is what throws the build into failing. I don't know if anyone else has ran into this issue. Of course, my build with the SC01 + has other issues besides this, but I thought I'd bring it up.

I see in the esp32_smartdisplay.h file that the #ifdef ESP32_3248S035R display is listed.

I have this board,is it now just a matter of setting up the build flags in platformio.ini file to compile for my board ,or is it not that simple ?

If so,could someone advise what should be added.

First time using platformio ,thanks for any assistance.

Cheers

I see in the esp32_smartdisplay.h file that the #ifdef ESP32_3248S035R display is listed.

I have this board,is it now just a matter of setting up the build flags in platformio.ini file to compile for my board ,or is it not that simple ?

If so,could someone advise what should be added.

First time using platformio ,thanks for any assistance.

Cheers
I don't have that display and haven't tested on it. It is supported by SmartDisplay library. However, I've ditched SmartDisplay library and change to LGFX library for more drivers.

Latest posts

Back