Temp issues: Minifridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All!

I have been having an ongoing issue with fermentation. I just cant seem to get a regulated place in my house: the basement in summer is to warm, and in winter its to volatile and I have ruined more gallons of beer than I care to think about.
I dont really have the space for a full chest cooler but I was thinking that I could slow down my brewing and instead of keeping one keg cool while another ferments I can do one at a time but plugging my minifridge into a Digital Temeperature Controller. Would this work or am I crazy? Can I just set the fridge at 67 and leave the fermenting bucket in there for two weeks?

Before I spend the money on the temperature controller I would appreciate your feedback!

Thanks

Hello All!

I have been having an ongoing issue with fermentation. I just cant seem to get a regulated place in my house: the basement in summer is to warm, and in winter its to volatile and I have ruined more gallons of beer than I care to think about.
I dont really have the space for a full chest cooler but I was thinking that I could slow down my brewing and instead of keeping one keg cool while another ferments I can do one at a time but plugging my minifridge into a Digital Temeperature Controller. Would this work or am I crazy? Can I just set the fridge at 67 and leave the fermenting bucket in there for two weeks?

Before I spend the money on the temperature controller I would appreciate your feedback!

Thanks

Sure, people do it all the time; you might have to modify the minifridge to get the fermenter to fit, but that is pretty straightforward if you don't have two left thumbs.

The additional bonus is that you can throw that two-three week shenanigans out the window. The reason that is touted as gospel around here is people typically don't have temp. control, which is why they need to let their beer age a bit. If you have temp control you can accelerate the process...proper temp control = proper yeast control = proper yeast fermenation = no off flavors/byproducts.

With temp control, I'm kegging most of my beers (those under 1.070 or so) in 7-10 days.

There is no reason why homebrewers can't brew beer like the pros do it...you just need the right tools!

You certainly can do this assuming your fridge maintains its temperature. The added bonus of a temperature regulator is more precise control and the ability raise or lower the temperature in specific increments as the beer ferments if desired. It will also allow you to ferment at temperatures higher than the internal controls would allow for by actually shutting off the fridge and then turning it on when needed. Personally I think they are well worth it!

Back