Belgian Quad Fermentation - Advise Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace0005

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed my first Belgian Quad yesterday (11/07). Brew day went great! I followed Beersmith and pitched yeast at 67 degrees F (seems like an oddly specific temp 🙄). Today, my fermenter is bubbling like a race horse on crack!!

My concern is that the temp rose to 82 degrees overnight in my basement with NO temperature control!!! I've brewed many times, but never seen activity like this. I do know that Quads should be allowed to rise 1 degree per day naturally..... but this is crazy!!! Should I be worried?

I would mostly be worried about fusel at those temperatures, imho Quads (and most Belgians) are quite forgiving for other yeast off flavours (and some of them are kind of necessary to be true to style).

What yeast did you use and what was the ideal temperature range? 67F is 20C and 82F is 28C that’s quite high but it depends on the yeast parameters.
I used Abbey Ale WLP530. I did a a two stage starter that I woke up with some of the wort cooled to pitching temp from my brew. This was also new for me. I have always heard that it's a great way to wake the yeast.

I hope so!! I mean, i know that it's not uncommon for this yeast to be okay at 82-84 degrees F, but a 15 degree rise in temp overnight in my basement without temp control is alarming, but also amazing! I was concerned that I caught some wild yeast or something. I contacted white labs about this, they said that is should be fine.

Back