Taste of aluminum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i brewed a 100% store bought light munich beer.

20lbs Munich
2ozs Bravo for 60

i was going to try temp control and ferment it at ~66f, instead of my usual 80-85...

got it down to 80f, threw in the fridge for the rest of the cooling, took a few hours to get to 66, according to my IR therm shot at the side. pitched yeast, and my gluco.

when i pitched the goodies, it looked like something was already happening, not sure what that was about.

I shot the IR at it couple days later and it read 75f, so my attempt at temp control didn't go as expected :(

anyway, i'm drinking it now and it has a VERY strong taste of what i'd call aluminum...Is that normal for munich malt? i don't get it with my homemade dark munich?

anyway, i'm drinking it now and it has a VERY strong taste of what i'd call aluminum...Is that normal for munich malt? i don't get it with my homemade dark munich?

Are you drinking it "alone", with clean mouth, or with your meal?

Some metallic tastes are produced by a combination of substances.
A pretty famous example is given by most fishes with red wines.

Other less known but quite "dramatic" examples are given by artichokes with red wines, or smoked salmon with beer.

This last case, smoked salmon & beer, is really disgusting to me and it really tastes metallic.

Try to taste your beer with a clean mouth (eat some bread, clean all fat residues, maybe a good grappa would clean it better, then the bread) and then try the beer again. Combination of food and beverage can produce funny and unexpected results.

Are you drinking it "alone", with clean mouth, or with your meal?

Some metallic tastes are produced by a combination of substances.

fraid so, or right after morning coffee.....breakfast of champs.

could the fact it took a few hours to chill down to 66f, before i pitched my yeast let a infection in? i only pasturize my fermenter, and don't sanitize....

and if it is infected, what infection causes a 'tangy' metalic taste? it's like metalic, but kinda tangy, which is why i associate it with aluminum....

and if anyone is familar with it, do you know what temp and time to kill it with pasturization? i usually leave my 10 gallons of strike water in my plastic fermenter at like 180-190, for about 30 minutes with the lid on...

edit: and it's a interesting thought of a combination, what do you think of the possibility of my usually, dusty taste, with the munich some how causing it?

I filled a fermenter one time and thought, hmm there's more in there than I thought there should be and realized that I hadn't dumped out the starsan, and the beer when it finished fermenting and was kegged, had a metallic taste.

I had a pale ale with a slight metallic taste. I let bottle age another week, and it went away.

i got two kegs of this stuff, i'm 23 into the first. so it'll kick here in another couple days. i'll update if it's more or less in the second one....

I filled a fermenter one time and thought, hmm there's more in there than I thought there should be and realized that I hadn't dumped out the starsan, and the beer when it finished fermenting and was kegged, had a metallic taste.

so maybe a freed metal salt or something? kinda like the opposite of adding camden tabs for chlorine?

so i brewed a 100% store bought light munich beer.

20lbs Munich
2ozs Bravo for 60

i was going to try temp control and ferment it at ~66f, instead of my usual 80-85...

got it down to 80f, threw in the fridge for the rest of the cooling, took a few hours to get to 66, according to my IR therm shot at the side. pitched yeast, and my gluco.

when i pitched the goodies, it looked like something was already happening, not sure what that was about.

I shot the IR at it couple days later and it read 75f, so my attempt at temp control didn't go as expected :(

Not my experience with Munich malt. IMO, Munich malt = sweet, slight biscuit.

Of course, you realize, with the IR, you are only actually getting the surface temp.

Maybe by "aluminum" you mean metallic? If metallic then water salts? Check equipment for rust. Is using SS ensure equipment is passivized. Was sanitizer fully rinsed?

Metallic is also perceived as iron, copper, coins, blood. Ever take from a garden hose (of course NO ONE ACTUALLY DOES THIS!) and put mouth on the metal part? If so, remember the taste of the metal?

Following from "Complete Beer Fault Guide" v 1.4 by Thomas Barnes, 2011-2013.

1622165264414.png

1622165290789.png

Metallic is also perceived as iron, copper, coins, blood.

it's mellowed a bit, and now copper sounds good, and blood! my god if i hopped it more and called it "Vulcan Blood" i could learn to like it! 🤣

Following from "Complete Beer Fault Guide" v 1.4 by Thomas Barnes, 2011-2013.

View attachment 730445
View attachment 730446

i can't really read that....
well i manged to up close, i did leave my SS kettle soaking for a week. and just rinsed it and didn't let it dry.....normally i'll get it clean day after brew day or night of....hmmm, i've done that before though, but i'll keep it in mind for subsequent batches....

Before I took a long break from brewing, a metallic taste in my beers was a common problem that I had.

Got back into brewing recently and first batch had it too. Switched to RO water and in the 3 batches since that first one, I haven't had any issues. I never found anything about water that would cause something like that, but it's the only thing I've changed up. Just throwing it out there.

Willamette hops always have a metallic taste to me. Maybe some other types can have a similar effect. I'm not familiar with Bravo and don't know their lineage.

I agree water is a good place to start if you aren't already addressing it. Even just half a crushed campden tablet in your boil water to remove chlorine can make a difference.
Before I took a long break from brewing, a metallic taste in my beers was a common problem that I had.

Got back into brewing recently and first batch had it too. Switched to RO water and in the 3 batches since that first one, I haven't had any issues. I never found anything about water that would cause something like that, but it's the only thing I've changed up. Just throwing it out there.

i just fill my pot from the hose with tap water....but i did just recently stop using my hose filter for it, maybe that was a mistake. i'm brewing today i'll use the hose filter for this one. being it's going to be another 100% base malt brew.

Back