Monster S-04 finished in a day and a half

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djangel643

Reaction score
This had never happened to me before. Long story short, i brewed a stout that camed out at 1.046 OG and pitched a packet of s-04 at sunday 1 AM. At 8 am i noticed the airlock was bubbling. Later that day when i returned home the airlock wasn't bubbling. I thought maybe my bucket was leaking as usual. Anyways, today i removed the airlock, had a look and there was no krausen, so i took a hydrometer reading and i couldn't believe my eyes, the hydro read 1.010 which is within my target range for this recipe. The beer doesn't even taste bad at all, just lacks carbonation obviously. How is this possible? Is it because of the high room temp? I have no temp control and here the room temp is 24C (75F), so maybe the yeast went turbo monster?

My question now is, should i bottle it now? I'd like to know if some of you went through this and bottled right away. What were your results?

Recipe: ( My efficiency is utter cow dung because i don't have a mill yet and the one at my store sucks)
for 20 liters (5 gallons)
6kg (13.2lbs) 2 row avangard
300gr (10.5 oz) caramel 120 (God, i hate imperial so much)
300gr (10.5 oz) dark münich 2
300gr (10.5 oz) chocolate malt
100gr (3.5) oz) roasted barley
1oz magnum at 60min
1oz cascade at flame out

How is this possible? Is it because of the high room temp? I have no temp control and here the room temp is 24C (75F), so maybe the yeast went turbo monster?

That would be my guess. Figure the exothermics drove the beer temperature up to mid-80s and it isn't surprising "The Beast" did its first-pass thing quickly. I've never run S04 that warm, but I'd still give it at least a full week before even thinking about packaging...

Cheers!

This had never happened to me before. Long story short, i brewed a stout that camed out at 1.046 OG and pitched a packet of s-04 at sunday 1 AM. At 8 am i noticed the airlock was bubbling. Later that day when i returned home the airlock wasn't bubbling. I thought maybe my bucket was leaking as usual. Anyways, today i removed the airlock, had a look and there was no krausen, so i took a hydrometer reading and i couldn't believe my eyes, the hydro read 1.010 which is within my target range for this recipe. The beer doesn't even taste bad at all, just lacks carbonation obviously. How is this possible? Is it because of the high room temp? I have no temp control and here the room temp is 24C (75F), so maybe the yeast went turbo monster?

My question now is, should i bottle it now? I'd like to know if some of you went through this and bottled right away. What were your results?

Recipe: ( My efficiency is utter cow dung because i don't have a mill yet and the one at my store sucks)
for 20 liters (5 gallons)
6kg (13.2lbs) 2 row avangard
300gr (10.5 oz) caramel 120 (God, i hate imperial so much)
300gr (10.5 oz) dark münich 2
300gr (10.5 oz) chocolate malt
100gr (3.5) oz) roasted barley
1oz magnum at 60min
1oz cascade at flame out
I'd wait at least a week just to be sure. Take a reading in two or three days time to make sure the gravity is stable.
Then again a day before bottling.
I would also be afraid at those temperatures that a lot of fusel alcohols might have been produced resulting in a beer that will give you headaches.
Waiting longer to bottle won't help much with that though.
I had a similar experience with S-04 when I started home brewing, I had no wort cooler and was too impatient to let it cool over night and went ahead and pitched at 25oC. It was a nice pale ale but blew the head off me. I also added 500g of table sugar to up the alcohol content, which probably also didn't help make it a smooth drinker :ghostly:

I agree with day_trippr. High temps will do crazy things with yeast. I'd give it a few more days, too. Maybe even a couple weeks. Hopefully it won't be too hot. Stouts + fusels = head-ouch after a couple of them.

Looks like Shenanigans and I had the same thought.. fusels...

I'd also give it time because a yeast which is ready to go, and a lot of it, pitched warm, can destroy a welcoming 1.046 like you brewed. Especially if you include a simple sugar as part of the recipe. Not sure what you're pitch temp was but your room temp and krausen time indicates it was pretty warm. Also guessing your mash regimen resulted in highly fermentable wort. Last thing I'll say is, expected range doesn't mean much sometimes because certain conditions can make your S-04 go Turbo Monster and it will still have work to do and may ferment beyond range. I'd say wait.
Hope it's an awesome beer!

Last edited:
If you ever take time to read the guides on beer brewing they tell you that during fermentation yeast express some off flavors and aromas into the beer. And that yeast also clean up those off flavors and aromas after fermentation is over. So don't be in a hurry.

Don't bottle until all the stuff suspended in the beer goes to the bottom. With a few exceptions, clean and clear beer tastes better. I try to smile and put on a good face when someone hands me a glass of murky looking beer that tastes like yeast.

10 days will be good, several weeks will be better.

That would be my guess. Figure the exothermics drove the beer temperature up to mid-80s and it isn't surprising "The Beast" did its first-pass thing quickly. I've never run S04 that warm, but I'd still give it at least a full week before even thinking about packaging...

Cheers!
Just did about the same with an American pale ale, and then let it sit a total of 3 weeks in the fermenter. Bottled it today, and the leftovers were very clean with a slight hoppiness in the finish.

Latest posts

Back