tang taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogboyBrew

Reaction score
I've done a few extract kits, the first couple I know I fermented entirely too warm. The last few, however, I've used my new totally awesome fermentation chamber. Which is a mini fridge with a temp control. It seems that no matter what I do, I always end up with this strange tangy flavor in all of my beers. It was much more pronounced in the earlier batches and has since slowly calmed down, but it is still very obviously there. I ferment in the mid 60s, and pitch when my wort gets to 70degF. I sanitize like it's going out of style. I have tried to one by one pick apart my process to figure out what could be causing this flavor, but I can't seem to pin point its origin. I have a theory that it is a by product of extract brewing, but I have never brewed All Grain to truly test it.

Anyone else have a similar issue? It tastes slightly sweet but with a twang/tang at the end. It almost tastes and smells similar to the CO2 that gives you the 'burning nostrils' when you take a wiff of the fermenter before racking.

Are you using tap water? There are already minerals in the extract, so you should be using distilled or reverse osmosis water. The minerals in your water, plus the minerals in the extract could be creating a crazy water profile that is messing with the malt flavor.

Otherwise, consider getting your extract from a different source.

I use distilled for that reason. I'm doing a BIAB soon and I'm curious to see the differences.

All kits you've done reasonably the same or different, and all have used the same yeast? I also have done extract-steeping kits and only feel I get the slightly caramel-with-tangy-aftertaste on recipes that are (A)higher Crystal Malt than others; and (B) higher gravity than others using 6 lbs LME rather than 3 lbs LME.

Latest posts

Back