How can I recognize MLF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Attached is a pic of a cider that’s been in secondary since 10/2020. It was fermented w Loki. It developed this tan “cap” about a year ago. Recently I opened it up and took a sample with a turkey baster.
It’s tough for me to determine the taste character as this is the only batch I’ve fermented with a kveik strain.
If I had to describe, it does taste a bit watery and weak compared to similar ciders with similar apples.

My go to yeasts have been Imperial Napoleon and Bubbles.

FYI- I don’t have a ph meter and I have a feeling that may be the only way to determine.
IMG_2002.jpeg

I don't have an answer to your question, per se, but did you taste this cider a while back? What it acidic tasting previously an now isn't? I had a cheap pH meter that never worked quite right, so I have been using pH strips which are cheap and easy. Just make sure you get the ones in the right range.
Also, that seems like a super long time to have your cider in secondary. Is that out of convenience or intentional?

I don't have an answer to your question, per se, but did you taste this cider a while back? What it acidic tasting previously an now isn't? I had a cheap pH meter that never worked quite right, so I have been using pH strips which are cheap and easy. Just make sure you get the ones in the right range.
Also, that seems like a super long time to have your cider in secondary. Is that out of convenience or intentional?
Same, I thought most people kept it in secondary for up to a few months, not a few years. I have heard about ciders just going bad over time, I wonder if that’s it. This is all assuming the dates not a typo.

Same, I thought most people kept it in secondary for up to a few months, not a few years. I have heard about ciders just going bad over time, I wonder if that’s it. This is all assuming the dates not a typo.
Howdy new member! :mug: I've learned a whole lot about cider and gluten free brewing on these forums :)

The date is correct. I press my own apples and occasionally I get carried away.
I’ve never had an issue w aging cider. Actually, I did have one batch go south but that was due to using a faulty bung.

I usually don’t drink a cider until it’s at least 18 months.

I’ve never had an issue w aging cider. Actually, I did have one batch go south but that was due to using a faulty bung.

Ahh ok. I like my cider with some age on it, but usually I have it bottled within 6 months, rather than still in the secondary. If I had a basement or other place out of the way where I could store them, I might keep them in secondary longer, but in my little ranch style house, the kitchen is the only place that makes sense.

Wow, 18 months, that a lot. I use to wait one year + bottle carb time and I think it is quite long already. Even if it keeps improving after so I understand your point.
Do you use sulfite and how old is the older sider you have ever drunk ?

I do sulfite at a lower rate at about a year or so.
Later tonight I’ll send more pics of other batches.

I blame it on having a basement. Outta sight, outta mind.

Here are some pics of other batches waiting to be bottled.
My strategy isn’t aging them forever for improved taste, just laziness. The flavor hasn’t degraded at all though. I’ve had cider in bottles aged for up to five years and they were great tasting. This is the longest in Carboys though.

Attachments

• IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2027.jpeg
    IMG_2027.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2026.jpeg
    IMG_2026.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back